It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School safety money would be slashed in Trump budget

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 09:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
In a speech Thursday, Trump said making schools safer was a "top priority" for his administration.

Yet

President Trump's proposed 2019 budget would cut millions of dollars from federal education programs designed to help school districts improve safety and provide mental health assistance in the event of a tragedy. The budget proposal, which was unveiled earlier this week by the White House, would reduce funding for national school safety activities by $25 million compared to 2017, Politico reported.

source

Budget undercuts Trump focus on mental health, school safety

WASHINGTON (AP) - President Donald Trump is calling for a focus on mental health and school safety in response to shootings like the one that took 17 lives in Florida, but his budget would cut funding in both areas. Trump's latest budget would slash the major source of public funds for mental health treatment, the Medicaid program serving more than 70 million low-income and disabled people. The budget also calls for a 36 percent cut to an Education Department grant program that supports safer schools, reducing it by $25 million from the current level of $67.5 million.

source

His rhetoric just doesn't match his actions

Why dump money into a false system of graft that isn't working? This is the Obama style approach to fixing things, just dump money into it and watch the problem grow even BIGGER while the payee's laugh all the way to the bank!

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 09:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs
a reply to: Willtell

We are 20 trillion in debt. EVERY thing should have its funding reduced. It does not mean there is no money. There are reductions being made because of a bloated government.

Grants for School Safety are still readily available still.

When were at war we don’t cut the defense budget

This is war on the children of America

They cut the taxes of the rich while there’s a war on our children

Those people he cut taxes for don’t even send their kids to public schools on the most part

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 09:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed

In a speech Thursday, Trump said making schools safer was a "top priority" for his administration.

Yet

President Trump's proposed 2019 budget would cut millions of dollars from federal education programs designed to help school districts improve safety and provide mental health assistance in the event of a tragedy. The budget proposal, which was unveiled earlier this week by the White House, would reduce funding for national school safety activities by $25 million compared to 2017, Politico reported.

source

WASHINGTON (AP) - President Donald Trump is calling for a focus on mental health and school safety in response to shootings like the one that took 17 lives in Florida, but his budget would cut funding in both areas. Trump's latest budget would slash the major source of public funds for mental health treatment, the Medicaid program serving more than 70 million low-income and disabled people. The budget also calls for a 36 percent cut to an Education Department grant program that supports safer schools, reducing it by $25 million from the current level of $67.5 million.

source

Why dump money into a false system of graft that isn't working? This is the Obama style approach to fixing things, just dump money into it and watch the problem grow even BIGGER while the payee's laugh all the way to the bank!

So you cut it to the bone and hope magic cures the problem.

That’s makes a lot of sense

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tundra

Yeah, all that saftey money has really been working out well. 2nd.

Sort of like the trillions we spend on "defense"?
The world has only gotten more dangerous.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Honestly there is only one sure fire solution that will work to mitigate the casualties of school shootings, armed guards at every public school, mandated by law.

And I agree on the budget issue, state and county responsibility. How come my counties schools can find money for armed guards at schools, but other counties cannot?? They should talk to the state. The Fed's job is to protect the borders, and confront our rivals overseas who seek to undermine our way of life.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 09:48 PM
link   

There is already a surplus that has not been used that was appropriated....they still have close to 6 million in reserve.

Trump's budget would also zero out the School Emergency Response to Violence program, known as Project SERV — funded at $1 million in 2017 — that in years past provided millions in funds used by the district in Newtown. However, Hill said that the grant program's funds carry over from year to year and the department projects that a current $5.2 million balance will be sufficient to meet needs through the next fiscal year.

Why throw more money when there is already money out there.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 09:50 PM
link   

So Trumps Tax Package is allowing children to die in school shootings because rich people had their rates lowered? Think again about what you said???

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 09:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed

Yet

source

source

So you cut it to the bone and hope magic cures the problem.

That’s makes a lot of sense

Actually I already know the current administration is going to do something about it, unlike the last administration who made it much worse and even encouraged people to target police.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

The schools I work in all have mental detectors.

Real cops at every High School, regular guards on every floor even the little kid schools.

The doors are usually locked and there’s only one way in the front.

I hear at this school they didn’t have mental detectors?

That’s insane. Of course I don’t know if that’s true

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs

So Trumps Tax Package is allowing children to die in school shootings because rich people had their rates lowered? Think again about what you said???

No, I made no direct connection between this, I don’t think. Though there may be an indirect connection.

Though one could make a somewhat hyperbolic case in the so-called mud pit...

I did infer Trump, excuse me, not infer, directly charge that Trump really doesn’t care about the common people.

I stand by that charge

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Should the school system be responsible for crime fighting now?
Newtown raised plenty of money in the wake of Sandy Hook, they didn't need the millions from the Feds.
We're not preventing any shootings with this money.
Law enforcement have the task of ensuring school safety unless we want to allow arming of teachers that is.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 10:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: jacobe001

originally posted by: ElGoobero
why is the federal government supposed to pay for this in the first place?

schools are local and support and programs should be locally done and paid for.

show me in the Constitution where 'school safety' is a federal mandate.

The Constitution also says it is the governments responsibility to promote the general welfare and provide for the defense of THiS nation. The only thing government is doing these days is providing for the welfare and defense to GLOBALISTS CORPORATIONS.

Do you actually believe that the General Welfare clause was intended to be a catch-all for the federal government to involve itself in domestic issues, and that the individual colonies would have supported such taxation and meddling after just giving England and meddling King Charles the boot?

Seriously?

No, 'general welfare' does not mean federal involvement in local and domestic affairs. It means promoting opportunity equally, without consideration to any specific demographics, so that the People can take care of themselves and their children.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Link

Among the 453,000 unemployed veterans in 2016, 60 percent were age 45 and over,

Let's put them back to work....
edit on Febpm28pmf0000002018-02-15T22:47:56-06:001056 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 11:07 PM
link   

All the defense and arguments are absurd and illogical, there’s no use responding to them

You just described how I feel about almost every post you and four or five others ever made.

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 12:13 AM
link   
What is a mental detector??

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 01:43 AM
link   

an educated population is critical to a stable economy.

Governments job is to protect the economic interests of the nation.

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 03:42 AM
link   

That is the individual state that is to take care of,each state has leaders who were voted in to take care of these matters,what happens when Democrats are in office,give them a dollar and they will spend 10 of it on personal items,then ask for more

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 05:50 AM
link   

a reply to: worldstarcountry

The schools I work in all have mental detectors.

Real cops at every High School, regular guards on every floor even the little kid schools.

The doors are usually locked and there’s only one way in the front.

I hear at this school they didn’t have mental detectors?

That’s insane. Of course I don’t know if that’s true

Where can I get one of those "mental detectors"? We could really use them at work.

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 08:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: EternalShadow

originally posted by: RazorV66

States should hire armed guards for schools but there should be a strict screening process to hire only ex military or law enforcement.
I personally know 3 veterans (2 ex-Marines, 1 ex-Army), that said they would be willing to take a job as armed guards at schools if they were hiring for it.
If they are good enough to safeguard this country, they are good enough to guard schools.

And that strict screening process should apply to ex-military and law enforcement as well.

Do you really want some battle hardened, 5+ tour, PTSD ridden war veteran armed around a bunch of kids, let alone given a badge???!!

Personally, regardless of merit or record, they're should be a cutoff of no more than 2 tours of duty to qualify for law enforcement positions.

Wonder why the police are militarized? Why police are so jacked up and quick to shoot?? Quick to use excessive force and they get away with it 98% of the time???

Because there's this given that if you're ex-military you are pretty much guaranteed a position in law enforcement if all else fails. It becomes an exclusive club because of the bonds created in war....and then they bring that war to common citizens back home.

that simply isn't true. police and military are two different skill sets. I've known very few LEOs with military backgrounds.
there tends to be a mutual respect and shared interests but that 'guaranteed position' stuff is nonsense.

there is no such thing as 'excessive force'. the suspect is either subdued and captured or not.

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: EternalShadow

Personally, regardless of merit or record, they're should be a cutoff of no more than 2 tours of duty to qualify for law enforcement positions.

Your average infantryman sees far more in two tours than your average supply boxkicker sees in four tours. So, that's not gonna work.

Wonder why the police are militarized? Why police are so jacked up and quick to shoot?? Quick to use excessive force and they get away with it 98% of the time???

Ignoring the falsehoods you present as fact, there's a number of reasons law enforcement is militarized, and it started before GWOT did so...correlation is not causation.

Because there's this given that if you're ex-military you are pretty much guaranteed a position in law enforcement if all else fails. It becomes an exclusive club because of the bonds created in war....and then they bring that war to common citizens back home.

Yea that's just stupid. Every dude with a DD-214 thinks "I know, I'll go be a cop" and then quickly finds out that every other guy with a DD-214 had the same idea, along with a whole bunch of recent college graduates with criminal justice degrees, and a bunch of people with special skill sets like languages or technology. It's not anything close to a "guaranteed position."

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join