It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Palos Heights Student Arrested After Posing With AK-47 Online

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Some of you Yanks see nothing wrong with a kid with an AK 47?

No wonder the US is so screwed!

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 06:16 AM
link   
this thread = useless without pictures

context is everything - and withpout seeing the picture - its impossible to make any coherent call

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Here's a similar arrest from Thursday.

Police in South Carolina arrested a high school student Thursday after he allegedly claimed to be planning “round 2 of Florida” in a post on social media. He subsequently played it off as a joke.

Fox Carolina reported the ninth grade student at Broome High School in Spartanburg was arrested after he posed in a photo posted to Snapchat wearing a face mask that obscured part of his face and holding what appeared to be an assault rifle.

The image caption read: “Round 2 of Florida tomorrow.” The post was a reference to slayings at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Wednesday where a gunman shot and killed 17 people.

Teenager Who Threatened ‘Florida Round 2’ And Posed With Rifle On Social Media Tells Cops He Was Joking

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

I think I remember hearing at one point that it was illegal to possess some kinds of semi-auto rifles within Chicago but I honestly couldn't tell you where I heard it.

I may be entirely incorrect, in which case mea culpa, mea culpa.

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 09:13 AM
link   
With the kid in Florida people were saying there were warnings and people should have known and done something before the attack. Now its all about how it was just a picture and no threat so why arrest him. We have to pick one side of the fence on this one and stay there. Everyone trying to get on an airplane has to get felt up and prodded like cattle, even if you have never posed a threat to anyone in your entire life. Now a day after a mass shooting this kid posts a picture of himself holding a rifle and mentions his school...you have to believe he is at least going to be arrested and questioned if nothing else. Remember, arrested and charged are two different things.

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: AnonymousCitizen

Your an idiot if you are posting a picture with you and a AK-47...don't feel bad at all..kids need to stay away from guns not using them a measurement of being cool...

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

I looked it up last night, from everything I could find ar platforms are indeed illegal within Chicago city limits

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant
Here's a similar arrest from Thursday.

Police in South Carolina arrested a high school student Thursday after he allegedly claimed to be planning “round 2 of Florida” in a post on social media. He subsequently played it off as a joke.

Fox Carolina reported the ninth grade student at Broome High School in Spartanburg was arrested after he posed in a photo posted to Snapchat wearing a face mask that obscured part of his face and holding what appeared to be an assault rifle.

The image caption read: “Round 2 of Florida tomorrow.” The post was a reference to slayings at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Wednesday where a gunman shot and killed 17 people.

Teenager Who Threatened ‘Florida Round 2’ And Posed With Rifle On Social Media Tells Cops He Was Joking

If I was the principal at that school, the kid would not be coming back.

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Yes. Yes, they should, with the sole proviso that it harms no one.

Essentially, it boils down to mind your own damned business, unless someone is getting hurt by it. Is that too complicated?

Nope not complicated, it's just we live in this thing called a society and if everyone just did what they wanted when they wanted to, it would more closely resemble the wild west.

Would you prefer to go back to those days?

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Sure, why not? Because the so-called Wild West was seldom as it's depicted in the movies we all grew up watching...

There were not daily shoot-outs in the middle of the street at High Noon. There were the occasional brawls in places like OK corral--how is that different from places in, say, Chicago? Or, Miami? Actually, there were, likely, fewer per capita--I don't know that for a certainty, as I'm not aware of any comparative research that's been done...

In the Wild West, so called, especially in the 1870's-80's, if you walked/rode up to a farm house looking for easy pickings you were likely to get a fatal surprise, 'cause there was a good chance, much better than even, that there were guns, with folks who knew which end was which, behind them. ...and many of them were veterans of the blood letting called the American Civil War, who were less than inclined to be bullied, or let fear control them.

No, I'd have no real issue with it. What's that old saying? "Don't start nothin', won't be nothin'." If someone wants to start an issue that involves violence with me, than why should I not have the means at hand to counter said issue? If I overstep the bounds of what society deems acceptable, then the means are at hand to call me to task.

Apparently, I've more faith in my fellow American, the law abiding one, than many here. I consider myself to be fairly typical, I'm not about to walk into a school, or church, or climb a bell tower, and start shooting people, I'm going to trust that the vast, vast majority aren't going to either. ...the means to control, deal with, the ones who would do so are already at hand.

Curtailing, or even ending, my right to own isn't going to make the world safer, 'cause it has nothing to fear from me to begin with.

So, yeah, bring on the Wild West. I think you'd find it much closer to my version, than Hollywoods.

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

Thanks for the information.

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 05:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: oldcarpy
Some of you Yanks see nothing wrong with a kid with an AK 47?

No wonder the US is so screwed!

My 10 year old daughter and my 11 year old son are sitting this weekend for their hunter safety certification course. Both of them have had dozens of hours on the range, both have shot AR15s, AKs, handguns, and even semi auto tactical shotguns. They live their lives with wonder and experiences rather than with fear and trepidation over using the same tools I grew up using 30 years ago. I don't know where you're from, but for those of us who grew up in rural America, a 15 year old usually has already taken game, has been driving for quite some time, has worked until callouses are forming, and has a better understanding of humanity's food cycle than many college educated urbanites will ever enjoy. None of these issues have ruined their lives, and most of them have been done with a high degree of responsibility at play.

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Yep. I started shooting, and hunting, even reloading (with help from Dad, but anyway...) by the time I was 12, much less 15.

I've never understood this outrage over children having guns. I was brought up with 'em, taught to use them safely, to care for them like one does with any tool so that they can remain safe to use.

Silly, useless, even dangerous fear of a tool.

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

I absolutely agree one should be able to defend themselves and with force if necessary.

It's a tough one, as society degrades in the U. S it may just come to some sort of lawless society.

The problem I see with a no tolerance approach to crime is that a similar situation to the Philippines may arise where people take advantage of the no tolerance approach to further agendas and eliminate people they don't like.

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

Sure, why not? Because the so-called Wild West was seldom as it's depicted in the movies we all grew up watching...

There were not daily shoot-outs in the middle of the street at High Noon. There were the occasional brawls in places like OK corral--how is that different from places in, say, Chicago?

It actually was very similar to modern Chicago. Carrying a gun in public in Tombstone was illegal. They had to be checked and stored with the sheriff's office in town upon entering the town and could not be recovered until you were heading out of town. Same for Dodge City... two of the most violent, bloody towns in the old west... strictest gun laws seen in that era in place and all. Gun laws lead to gun violence, period. When you take away good peoples' ability to defend themselves, bad people victimize the hell out of them.

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Is society truly degrading, or are we just beaten over the head with the fact that our society has a dark, rather disturbing, underbelly?

These sorts of things have always been here, not of this magnitude, obviously. But the darkness now can learn from its mistakes--that's the only way I can come up with to describe what's happening.

The evil/sickness, call it what you will, has always been there. I doubt it'll ever go away.

Our methods of dealing with it need change and adapt. No, I have no answers, I'm not that smart. However, I am smart enough to know that curtailing my ability, as some are so stridently screaming, deal with that evil/sickness when it's in my home, or in my face in public, isn't even remotely the right answer.

Conversations/Arguments like this are the beginnings of solutions. We've, or most of us, have a realization that there is a significant problem that needs dealing with. Our ends are the same. Stopping it, or at least lessening it's impact, is that end.

Our differences lie in the means to that end. Curtailing my rights is not an means I will support, I'm sure you've figured that out by now...not the first time we've had this discussion. Or the last, unfortunately, though we can hope, I guess.

What's needed is a means towards that end that all of us, or at least a majority, can support. Hyperbolic nonsensical declarations aren't the way to a solution, and we've all had our moments of that. Mea Culpa. Mea Culpa.

I'm willing to listen to reasonable thoughts on possible solutions that have half a chance of working. I'm not willing to even give half a listen to ideas that treat law abiding citizens as criminals, or would be criminals.

I'm starting to rant, so I'll leave it at this.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join