It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Final Blow To Accountibility

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 12:41 AM
link   
We have been told that Bush and his administration will not be held accountable for their actions in Iraq and Afghanistan as if we needed him to tell us that), and now the coporate sponsors of the Bush regime have hit yet another trifecta, with the soon to be law class action legislations. In other words, coporate America wins again, and the elitist in this country will be free of accountibility, now in both war and business. They don't even have to wash their hands anymore. If this bill passes, most major class actions will then go to Federal Court, and of course subsequently vanish. This bill is a fine example of why capitalism and government simply don't mix.

www.guardian.co.uk...
Senate OKs Limit on Class Action Lawsuits
Friday February 11, 2005 7:31 AM
By JESSE J. HOLLAND
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) - Congress is only days away from handing President Bush and business groups a big victory by curbing multimillion-dollar class action lawsuits.
Despite complaints the legislation could hurt consumers, the Senate overwhelmingly passed the bill 72-26 on Thursday. The House will take it up next week and send it to the president to sign into law.

Opponents say the president and his allies on this issue are trying to help businesses escape proper judgments for their wrongdoing, and are going after the trial lawyers...
``But this bill is not about punishing bad lawyers. It is about hurting consumers and helping corporations avoid liability for misconduct.''

Will it pass? Of course it will.

Under a deal between the two GOP-controlled chambers, if the Senate passed the bill without any changes, the House would follow suit and send it to the White House.

Because of the two party illusion...

Eight Democrats were sponsors of the bill, leaving the rest with no way to block it.

Edit:
Crap like this is why this bill is so important to the Elitists...
www.chapelhill.indymedia.org...

[edit on 16-2-2005 by twitchy]

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 12:59 AM
link   
That's cool. I can hardly wait. For all you Americans out there it's easy and cheap to become your own corporation. Check out offshore tax havens and set it up. If you ain't a corporation you'll have no rights soon.

To the author, I disagree with the title of your thread. I think there are still more things they need to erase accountability for. But they are going at lightning speed now. Go Speed Racer, Go!

You see everyone. This is what happens when you give the keys to the car to retarded sociopathic children. But hey, it is humorous to watch them scramble like chicken hawks with their heads cut off. Damn I'm glad I bought a ticket to this ride.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 06:24 AM
link   
ahh.....yes......
It's perfectly acceptable for them to kill you, but well, put that cigarette out and get back to work before I fire you......you shouldn't be killing yourself....

It's a mentality that I would expect to be found directed towards PROPERTY, not free men and women!!!

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 12:42 PM
link   

We have been told that Bush and his administration will not be held accountable for their actions in Iraq and Afghanistan

The election was our chance to hold them responsible, but the majority of voters chose not to.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Good post twitchy. Amazing how it all works together, in't it?

Did you see these ?

Bush Pushes to Limit Class-Action Suits

Government Intervenes to Protect Wal-Mart

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by utrex
The election was our chance to hold them responsible, but the majority of voters chose not to.

So government only needs to be held accountable during election seasons? If something was done that was criminal, then accountability should be done at any point during a term.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 04:17 PM
link   

So government only needs to be held accountable during election seasons? If something was done that was criminal, then accountability should be done at any point during a term.

My comment was with respect to the Iraq issue (as quoted). There haven't been any huge revelations with respect to this issue that weren't known at the time of our election.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Good job twitchy, i can't agree more. To add its the public that has failed. Setting on their asses driving huge gas burner and eat out every night. Shopping at Walmart and wanting to pay less taxes. Its all about me, what a country we have. The masses are thrown a bone and the Bush machine runs off with the future. The fatter more consumer based and lazy the better! All comes to an end. What will the US's be?

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 06:00 AM
link   
First of all... I'm not necessarily pro-Bush, but I wonder about the validity of most of these large class action law suits. For instance, my daughter got a check for two or three dollars, US, for being on the winning side of one of those suits. Funny thing is that she hadn't ever signed up for it. Further consideration said that if it was a multi-million dollar suit and everyone of the "litigants" received two dollars, then who got the vast majority of the money?

Advertisements on television by the dozens from various law firms ... "If you or someone you know has suffered death or severe illness due to exposure to cellophane then call us ... You might be due some money". Interestingly, you can imagine that the law firms are going to NOT get into such activities unless they are making a substantial profit.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by sigung86

I wonder about the validity of most of these large class action law suits. For instance, my daughter got a check for two or three dollars, US, for being on the winning side of one of those suits. Funny thing is that she hadn't ever signed up for it. Further consideration said that if it was a multi-million dollar suit and everyone of the "litigants" received two dollars, then who got the vast majority of the money?

There is MUCH more going on here than a few weirdly skewed failures. The legal system is set up to protect civil rights, and individual states' autonomy. That's gone now - and federal big government just got bigger.

...All that was ever needed were a few amendments, like a cap on lawyers fees. Instead - Bush dismantled the whole system.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I recall Christine Todd Whitman's appointment and all the directives in the planning to reduce emissions in both industry and automobiles. Then boom Bush said no. Whitman eventually resigned from the Bush cabinet.

Dallas

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I'm amazed. I come home every day to yet more rules and Bush regulations.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I have to say I am torn.

I do not like the abuse of the sytem that currently takes place on the part of lawers. IMO it has gone too far.

But
The potential for abuse by the coporations after this bill is law will, I think, outweighs the current abuse.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I believe whoever said a cap on lawers fee's is what is needed hit it right on the head. Didn't nevada just pass or try and pass something like this in November? I'm not sure just seem to remember seeing a comercial last time i was in vegas.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 03:26 AM
link   
This issue is hard. But the final answer should be no to it. It would take away our power and fredom in a few cases. Just a few is a major amount for the lives of those abused. Lawyers will still run away with the show either way. Why limit are tools. Maybe he should focus on the ability to get heathcare first. Its not a perect sience. We all have to die. Don't let a smokescreen change to issue. A group of prers should decside who as done wrong not lawmaker taking kickbacks.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Law suits, especially class action lawsuits in this country are completely and ridiculously out of control. This latest move, which allows class action cases to be tried in federal courts instead of states courts is a no-brainer. Besides, why should a company that does business in every state and, every state has affected people should the plaintiffs lawyers get to pick the friendliest state in which to try their case? These SHOULD be in federal court. It is just the beginning of more good, sound moves. Soon we will engage in even more tort reform which will allow doctors to keep practicing without paying 6 figure insurance fees. This will lower the cost of personal medical insurance also, which will make it much more widely available.

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 11:36 PM
link   
It doesn't just stop with the class action suits... in other new today...
www.truthout.org...

Washington - The Bush administration is aggressively wielding a rarely used executive power known as the state secrets privilege in an attempt to squash hard-hitting court challenges to its anti-terrorism campaign.

How the White House is using this privilege, not a law but a series of legal precedents built on national security, disturbs some civil libertarians and open-government advocates because of its sweeping power. Judges almost never challenge the government's assertion of the privilege, and it can be fatal to a plaintiff's case.

The government is invoking the privilege in an attempt to wipe out the heart of a lawsuit that seeks to examine rendition, the secretive and controversial practice of sending terror suspects to foreign countries where they might be tortured.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Admittedly, I did not read the entire artile, but from the brief I've read and your post, I fail to see how this relates to the matter of national class-action law suits that are delegated to federal courts connecting to terrorism. I'd appreciate enlightenment.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Well it has nothing to do with terrorism, frankly you're right. The vague definitions of terrorism as layed out in recent legislation and executive orders correlates to the 'final blow to accountibility' becuase it gives them the power to label just any entity, national or foriegn, who oppose their agenda as an enemy of the state. They aren't worried about terrorism, IMO, nearly as much as they are worried about sedition and public interest.
Federal Judges are appointed, by the way. And if you will notice, right after this post was put up, the news filled with stories with concerns over Bush's new powers and intentions of appointing ultra-conservative judicials. What a suprise. That is how it relates to terrorism. There is no longer a system of fighting back against tyranny here. Yes I said tyranny. Not so mush as to imply that we are under a tryranical system at the moment, but if it happens, the ground work is already layed to squash any legitimate opposition. Our electoral system has been compromised, our legislature is run by coporate interests, and now, the last shred of hope we had for opposition, the judicial system, is being taken apart piece by piece and handed over to federal apointees. There is no accountibility, and our most valuable tool for holding these turds accountable has just been shanked.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Well, there goes the Judicial System... The final blow to accountibility indeed, and now they will be fully without recourse to the law. Forcing class action suits against major coporations into federal courts, with Bush appointed judges. Anybody seeing the pattern yet?

democrats.senate.gov...
Dear Majority Leader Frist:
During President Bush's first four years in office, the Senate confirmed 204 judicial nominees and withheld its consent to only 10 nominations, a confirmation rate of over 95%. Last year the federal court vacancy rate reached its lowest level in 15 years. Nonetheless, in recent press reports you have threatened to use extraordinary parliamentary tactics allowing the Republican majority to rubberstamp the handful of nominees already rejected and all future Bush nominees.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join