It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School Shootings, Trending?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I am just curious about a few things. I am wondering about gun restrictions. I am under the impression that for most, it's become harder to own a gun than in past decades. I figure in some states that might not be true or that my impression may be wrong. If that is the case though, how is it that mass shootings have only increased in commonality?

To me it comes down to mental stability. We just aren't addressing the issue or reasons as to why. I think many of us see the mental and social climates turning to garbage. Just look at ATS now and prior to Trump. Toxicity. It's just not a priority of our "leaders" and media.

I don't know where I am going with this, hopefully outside the box. I think I just want to try and make more people understanding of my ideas about this as I feel they seem most likely correct.

I know it's been said before though... when does the possibility of fixing it start though? Doesn't seem as if it has. I guess you can' fix something when all the "leaders" are pointing fingers... Manipulating bastards and morons.
edit on 15-2-2018 by Antipathy17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Antipathy17
To me it comes down to mental stability. We just aren't addressing the issue or reasons as to why. I think many of us see the mental and social climates turning to garbage. Just look at ATS now and prior to Trump. Toxicity. It's just not a priority of our "leaders" and media.

What about imitation as a factor? "Other people have done it, so I'll do it."
When things become fashionable, they happen more frequently, as a vicious circle.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI

What about imitation as a factor? "Other people have done it, so I'll do it."
When things become fashionable, they happen more frequently, as a vicious circle.

It's something to consider. Likely only a portion of shootings that have happened are of that kind. Is it dominate though? if so, has it been dominate this whole time? Is generation a big factor (Trender generation z and millennials)?

There are a lot of factors but the biggest one seems to be the one not concentrated on.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Antipathy17

I disagree..

There was an obvious spike after columbine and the massive coverage..

I think the opposite.. I think MOST of these guys just never even think of shooting the place up . If not for the media..

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 05:43 PM
link   

I don't know where I am going with this...

Well you could have gone to one of the million other posts about this very topic...

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 05:43 PM
link   

I believe media, internet, movies, television...everywhere people look purvey a disaffection, a disconnection for tge value of life.

For people growing up in the last couple decades of instant communication, instant gratification etc...there isnt a value created, based on experience, patience etc...of striving to overcome adversity and that being a a valid and valuable reward.

all people value today, more and more is face value, infamy or fame...these influences along with an instsnt grstuity pharmaceutical culture is a perfect cocktail for creating anti social behaviors and a defunct level of interpersonal empathy.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Well, it is for at least some media, in fact it was a talking point throughout the day, society not being there, yet and all this guy was a known possible danger to people and himself.
How you get to say to media don't show this, for instance, is just not on...or even if they don't give a name, it will be published in a charge sheet somewhere, or somebody knows about it online, blah blah...it's all bullet points, there's little that can be done if an unknown does something like this, it's not soo good when this guy got as far as he did, on top of that is the gun, the fecking thing should not be on sale, it's a military weapon, was meant to be a military weapon, a weapon of war, and devastatingly easy in use. The lessons are not being learnt, and until that happens, it will continue.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: MarkOfTheV

Yeah but quite a lot of reasons not to.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Seems humans have sucked for quite a while.

en.wikipedia.org...

break-down
The first shooting was during the year 1840, later shootings occurred during the years 53, 56, 58, 60, 64, 67 (3 shootings), 68, 71, 72, 73, 74 (2), 78, 79, 81 (2), 82 (2), 83 (2), 84 (3), 87, 89, 90 (2), 91 (2), 92 (2), 93, 94, 98.

20th century
total
There were 226 shootings during the 20th century:

break-down
During the first decade of the 20th century there were 15 (1903 (2 shootings), 04 (3), 05 (2), 07 (2), 08 (2), 09 (4).
During the 1910s there were 19 (1910 (3 shootings), 1911, 12 (2), 14, 15 (2), 16 (2), 17 (2), 18 (2), 19 (3).
During the 1920s there were 10 (1920 (7 shootings), 22 (2), 26).
During the 1930s there were 9 (1930, 31, 34, 35, 36 (2), 37 (2), 38).
During the 1940s there were 8 (1940 (2 shootings), 42, 46, 47, 48, 49 (2)).
During the 1950s there were 17 (1950, 51 (4), 52 (2), 53, 54 (2), 55, 56 (2), 57, 58 (2), 59).
During the 1960s there were 18 (1960 (3 shootings), 61 (2), 66 (4), 67, 68 (4), 69 (4)).
During the 1970s there were 30 (1970 (5 shootings), 71 (2), 73 (2), 74 (4), 75 (3), 76 (3), 77, 78 (7), 79 (3)).
During the 1980s there were 39 (1980 (4 shootings), 81 (3), 82 (3), 83, 84 (4), 85 (5), 86 (5), 87 (5), 88 (6), 89 (3)).
During the 1990s there were 62 (1990 (2 shootings), 91 (6), 92 (5), 93 (9), 94 (10), 95 (4), 96 (7), 97 (6), 98 (7), 99 (6)).
21st century
total
From the commencement of the 21st century to the most recently occurring shooting (of February 14, 2018), the number of shootings is 212:

break-down
During the 1st decade there were 60 (2000 (5 shootings), 01 (5), 02 (7), 03 (4), 05 (5), 06 (11), 07 (5), 08 (11), 09 (7))
During the 2010s (as of 14 February 2018) there were 143 shootings (2010 (11 shootings), 11 (7), 12 (11), 13 (26), 14 (36), 15 (21), 16 (15), 17 (9), 18 (7)).

Population goes up.

More frequent school shootings.

What is it about humans living in close proximity that causes the actions?
edit on 15-2-2018 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

I believe media, internet, movies, television...everywhere people look purvey a disaffection, a disconnection for tge value of life.

Yeah something is up

For people growing up in the last couple decades of instant communication, instant gratification etc...there isnt a value created, based on experience, patience etc...of striving to overcome adversity and that being a a valid and valuable reward.

I am about to turn 30 in June. That makes me a Millennial. I have young parents, generation X. There are big differences between most young and old Millennials. A lot of commonalities as well. I want to impress upon you that there is far more to it. I just can't explain how. I think you have a feel for it though.

all people value today, more and more is face value, infamy or fame...these influences along with an instsnt grstuity pharmaceutical culture is a perfect cocktail for creating anti social behaviors and a defunct level of interpersonal empathy.

There surly is a lot of that.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

Yeah. I think it's all playing into the mental stability of people which is seeming lowering.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 07:35 PM
link   

To me it comes down to mental stability. We just aren't addressing the issue or reasons as to why..

They need to have smaller schools, and fewer students per classroom.

The problem is that whenever you put too many people together, they "disconnect" from each other.

That's the real problem behind all these shootings.

One or more individuals feel isolated, left out, picked on, unimportant, etc..when there are lots and lots of students around, and he or she isn't fitting in. In smaller class sizes, that same individual becomes "self-aware" of being more important, and gets more attention from everyone around.

By increasing the class sizes, the individual "recedes" into the background, feels ignored, and useless, and becomes unmotivated, then eventually angry, and acts out in one way or another.

If you'd like to see the effects of crowds on the individual psyche, you can just take a trip to New York City, and walk about, notice how everyone avoids eye contact, etc..then take a trip to another place, like say a small town in the state of Vermont, and see how friendly strange people become when you've reduced the size of the crowds to just a handful of people.

Now, apply what you've learned to the schools, and consider the effects on impressionable teenagers who are just coming of age, when everything seems important to them.

Florida does have a general problem with over crowding in schools. So, it's no surprise that this crowd effect would produce one or more intolerant teens, who act out a drama to get everybody's attention.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 09:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

I disagree..

There was an obvious spike after columbine and the massive coverage..

I think the opposite.. I think MOST of these guys just never even think of shooting the place up . If not for the media..

You’d be wrong about a massive spike after Columbine. School shootings were pretty stable (7-10) until around 2010 when that number jumped precipitously.

Probably a multitude of reasons, but I’d lay most of the blame on social media. I have no proof of this, I just think it would likely be the biggest culprit.

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Here's a good site tracking the madness:

www.massshootingtracker.org...

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 11:57 AM
link   

a reply to: Lysergic

Yeah. I think it's all playing into the mental stability of people which is seeming lowering.

One problem commonly regarding mental problems is that human being is not only physical, psychic and economic being, but also spiritual. I feel there is now division; spirituality has been neglected at home, school and everywhere in the society commonly, so human beings can't feel well.

But on the other hand there are spiritually inclined indigo and starkids coming up and silent meditation revolution starting to rise up, so world will become amazing place one day. Yoga and meditation practices increases selflessness and desire to care for others. When one helps others one gets caring and gratitude from others too. If spiritual side is taken care then mental side is more easy to take care.

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I still put this from Psychic Focus shortly, 'I see a panel of alt left democrats watching this play out on the television (almost in odd excitement). it serves as a great distraction, to ban guns and create a "taxing opportunity". The media is being encouraged to cover this non-stop to keep emotions high...putting A LOT of emphasis on the shooter, which keeps this repetitive activity going, because imbalanced people can get enamoured with having that same fame. The PTW (Powers That Were) are terrified of losing control. I see a person (working as PTW "minion") coaxed and planted ideas in the shooter's mind until he cracked.

join