It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Joy Behar attacks Mike Pence Faith

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

How can I trust anyone at all, given that sociopathy exists in approximately one percent of a given population?

How can I trust anyone at all, given that many people are motivated more by their desire to earn money than they are to do what is right? How can I trust anyone at all, given that there are countless reasons that I should not trust a damned thing, person, or idea that anyone has ever had?

Lets take that reasoning to the logical extreme!

Seriously though, there have been a great many Christians who were also great scientific minds, many of the greatest mathematicians of the ancient world were Muslim, some of the most fantastic architects ever born to the world were religious fanatics. Religious belief does not make someone a mental incompetent, or a fantasist. It just means they have different spiritual beliefs than you do, which is only a problem if you have a phobic mindset in the first place.

You see, the thing you need to be able to say about a person of faith, is that they have more going on than just their beliefs. For example, I have beliefs. But I also have a very deep appreciation for the sciences, for the arts, and very importantly, for the idea that regardless of which faith a person has, or whether they have none at all, they must be served equally by the government and the law, because otherwise both government and the law cease to have relevance and must be replaced by something new. I also believe that faith should not inspire policy, that policy should be secular, as should the administration of that policy.

Pence has no faith, as previously discussed, but lets assume for a moment that he actually GENUINELY believed in Jesus, and actually acted like it, rather than using his stated beliefs as a shield for hate politics. Lets assume that he also had the understanding that in policy and administration terms, his beliefs did not matter, because what really mattered was approaching all things from an egalitarian and even handed position, applying law and policy equally to all, regardless of their beliefs, status and all that.

Now, if that were the case, could you honestly state that you had a problem with a person of faith administrating on behalf of the citizen, given that the fact of their faith did not effect their performance?

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 11:58 AM
link   

You bring up a good point.

There's been plenty of "Christian" politicians in the news lately doing bad things.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: rockhndr

Their ratings suck, they suck terribly. Behar, Goldberg, all of them... I believe Melissa Hesselbeck used to be at that table and was forced out when she shared different views on a show called "The View." It's just a bunch of hateful, bitter, guilt ridden racist women who very few people like. This is why.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

How can I trust anyone at all, given that sociopathy exists in approximately one percent of a given population?

How can I trust anyone at all, given that many people are motivated more by their desire to earn money than they are to do what is right? How can I trust anyone at all, given that there are countless reasons that I should not trust a damned thing, person, or idea that anyone has ever had?

Seriously though, there have been a great many Christians who were also great scientific minds, many of the greatest mathematicians of the ancient world were Muslim, some of the most fantastic architects ever born to the world were religious fanatics. Religious belief does not make someone a mental incompetent, or a fantasist. It just means they have different spiritual beliefs than you do, which is only a problem if you have a phobic mindset in the first place.

You see, the thing you need to be able to say about a person of faith, is that they have more going on than just their beliefs. For example, I have beliefs. But I also have a very deep appreciation for the sciences, for the arts, and very importantly, for the idea that regardless of which faith a person has, or whether they have none at all, they must be served equally by the government and the law, because otherwise both government and the law cease to have relevance and must be replaced by something new. I also believe that faith should not inspire policy, that policy should be secular, as should the administration of that policy.

Pence has no faith, as previously discussed, but lets assume for a moment that he actually GENUINELY believed in Jesus, and actually acted like it, rather than using his stated beliefs as a shield for hate politics. Lets assume that he also had the understanding that in policy and administration terms, his beliefs did not matter, because what really mattered was approaching all things from an egalitarian and even handed position, applying law and policy equally to all, regardless of their beliefs, status and all that.

Now, if that were the case, could you honestly state that you had a problem with a person of faith administrating on behalf of the citizen, given that the fact of their faith did not effect their performance?

why would you take anything to the extreme? That seems unreasonable.

Mike Pence, as well as Barack Obama, Bill Clinton, George Bush Junior and Senior, and every other president we’ve ever had, claims, in their own words , That their faith and belief in the christian God is what Guides their decision making. It’s pretty easy to prove, I could bring videos of their testimony if you deem it necessary. They literally out right claim that this is what they use to make decisions.

And that kind of makes everything you just said obsolete.
edit on 15-2-2018 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 01:20 PM
link   

I tend to have varying degrees of trust for people based on an individual analysis of how well what they say and what they do compare to each other and their over all ability to Explain reality in a way that makes sense on a reasonable level. I don’t know how you come to these conclusions. That’s kind of up to you.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I am thinking that that Joy should be taken off the radio. From what I have read, Joe is a decent person. Someone we should be proud to have in the Whitehouse. I guess those who love chaos would not appreciate him.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 01:37 PM
link   

No one who would rather control someone than leave them to their own devices, ought to be in charge of anything more important than making the damned tea.

...said after you just posted a diatribe attacking someone for actually embracing their own devices. The irony!

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver
a reply to: TrueBrit

I’m more concerned that elected officials believe in sky fairies.

I'll take one that believes in 'sky fairies' over one that believes in the "Religion of Peace" any day...

Look -- you're totally allowed to believe what you want. It's a free country. But don't make yourself look like an idiot while trying to imply that you're too "enlightened" to believe in God.

Making a "sky fairy" comment doesn't make you come off as superior or more intelligent, except perhaps among your friends who also draw their self-worth from thinking about how smart they are for being atheists. It just makes you sound ignorant and close-minded, revealing your narrow worldview in which explanations other than your own are always wrong. You are operating under a closed system of Truth in which you must deride or ignore anyone's experiences that don't fit into your model of the world.

Mocking the "Sky Fairy," or How Not to Convert Me to Atheism

edit on 2.15.2018 by Murgatroid because: Felt like it...

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Murgatroid

originally posted by: Woodcarver
a reply to: TrueBrit

I’m more concerned that elected officials believe in sky fairies.

I'll take one that believes in 'sky fairies' over one that believes in the "Religion of Peace" any day...

Look -- you're totally allowed to believe what you want. It's a free country. But don't make yourself look like an idiot while trying to imply that you're too "enlightened" to believe in God.

Making a "sky fairy" comment doesn't make you come off as superior or more intelligent, except perhaps among your friends who also draw their self-worth from thinking about how smart they are for being atheists. It just makes you sound ignorant and close-minded, revealing your narrow worldview in which explanations other than your own are always wrong. You are operating under a closed system of Truth in which you must deride or ignore anyone's experiences that don't fit into your model of the world.

Mocking the "Sky Fairy," or How Not to Convert Me to Atheism

From the outside, those two religions are on equal footing, although islamic countries do seem to be more abusive and less apt to accept other world views.

Modern christianity is nothing like it was before secularists forced it out of government. Before that, it looked just like the middle east looks currently.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join