It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump endorses 25-cent gas tax hike, lawmakers say

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

Not sure what you are upset with and I'm not sure what you are trying to say with your statement above.

Okay, I thought that I made it quite clear.

I'll bullet-list it for you:
    - The federal government makes enough revenue off of its citizenry, so a new tax is unnecessary

- The government can't even use the large amount of funds that it already has appropriately and responsibly

- If the government could function efficiently and effectively, we could afford to better our infrastructure without increasing gas taxes, especially at the rate of 25 cents.

That was my comment, and it makes sense. I'm not upset, I just can't understand why some people think that this is necessary.

And what is with the discussion about the 1993 tax?

My suggestion was not to have a tax increase...what was difficult to understand about that?

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

My suggestion was not to have a tax increase...what was difficult to understand about that?

My point was I didn't understand your 1/4 thing and I just wanted to suggest that the last time the Government looked at gas tax was 1993. What that means is 1.73 dollar in 1993 could only buy 1 dollar today, and they want to raise taxes a little over 1% per year for 5 years to help compensate for that.

If you feel the Government gets more than enough already, but they just do not spend it right then that is most likely correct, but an unfixable event at this point since it would take a complete over haul of the Government and that is not going to happen in our lifetimes.

edit on 15-2-2018 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 01:50 PM
link   
If you want to play with figures...

According to the American Petroleum institute, Americans pay an average of 48.8 cents per gallon in taxes. The federal gas tax is 18.4 cents per gallon, while states set their own gas taxes.

www.bankrate.com...

Up here, the state is charging 29.5 cents a gallon, and we're paying 2.60 today.

If I'm following this thread correctly, they're talking about adding 25 cents a gallon to the existing 18.4 cents a gallon federal tax- which is a 135.89% increase in federal gasoline taxes.

Whoever suggested our government simply stop wasting money elsewhere and spend it on infrastructure, I'm with you. I don't need my federal taxes to more than double. Honestly, the roads around here aren't that bad.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: usernameconspiracy

originally posted by: smurfy

I thought unleaded is around the $4.60 a gallon, (American) at present??

Anyway, the 25% figure is a bad figure psychologically, not hard to figure that's another quarter of the whole thing added onto the cost, and a quarter is a lot in any body's book.
What's more fuel prices tend to be very 'volatile'
in the US.

No President has any impact on the price of gasoline, whether it shoots up in price or drops low.

I didn't say they do, their tax though is per unit of delivery at the pump, whatever that unit is.
I don't know how that $2.15 a gallon price you mentions figures in the country as a whole though, Colorado was $4.59,
Here's the link to US petrol prices over the last two years,

www.globalpetrolprices.com...

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
a reply to: network dude

Put some of that $600 billion we spend on military into our infrastructure maybe? We could half our military budget and still be the strongest military in the world by far. Sounds crazy though, doesn't it? That's obviously not an option, if anything we should raise the military budget because reasons.

I'm with you on that, but some things would have to change first. Like the rest of the countries around the world doing their part and we wouldn't have to spend that much. But as of now we have to protect the shipping lanes around the world due to piracy. We've had back to back to back to back to back war mongers as leaders, jumping into every fight going on around the world since I can remember.

If we just did what all the other selfish countries around the world did and only protected our own interests, I'd say we could definitely slash the military budget by half at least. Don't get me wrong I fully support a strong and ready military, but the way I seen it ran in the Bush and Obama era. It was very wasteful.
edit on 15-2-2018 by Middleoftheroad because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Let's see, 25 billion for a "STUPID" wall. And we have go solicit money for childhood diabetes and cancer.

Seems we have our priorities screwed up.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian

The 25 cent hike on gasoline will be phased in over a course of 5 years and will generate close to $400 billion.

They be just shuffling the taxes around.

Give dem citizens a tax break with one law, and immediately design another law to take the money back again.

Musical chairs, with our pocket money.

That's all dem lawmakers are good for.

Sheesh!

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 08:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99
Correction. everyone CAN, but not everyone WILL.

The higher paying jobs are achievable, but they aren't handed out like prizes. you actually have to earn it.

Someone working those lower wage jobs is likely to not even be able to afford the schooling/training necessary to get access to those higher paying jobs.

There are lots of higher paying jobs in our area, but I qualify for none of them. I don't have the degree, the tradesman training, the operational knowhow for heavy equipment... and above all, none of the money needed to get proficient in any of those things. Work training ain't free. Neither is tradeschool or college.

Many of these positions are also requiring a certain level of prior experience and they aren't looking to train you either.

Where does someone who makes minimum wage and is not even pulling in enough to cover all the bills, much less gas and food and medical care get that extra money to raise up to a higher level?

It's a horrible situation and feels like you're in a deep hole with no way out and there isn't a single person willing to drop a rope down either.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Put some of that $600 billion we spend on military into our infrastructure maybe? We could half our military budget and still be the strongest military in the world by far. Sounds crazy though, doesn't it? That's obviously not an option, if anything we should raise the military budget because reasons.

We have to protect the corporate globalists interests.
Majority of Americans have seen wages decline thanks to corporate globalism while at the same are being forced to pay for their defense. It is downright criminal.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 09:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

My point was I didn't understand your 1/4 thing and I just wanted to suggest that the last time the Government looked at gas tax was 1993. What that means is 1.73 dollar in 1993 could only buy 1 dollar today, and they want to raise taxes a little over 1% per year for 5 years to help compensate for that.

If you feel the Government gets more than enough already, but they just do not spend it right then that is most likely correct, but an unfixable event at this point since it would take a complete over haul of the Government and that is not going to happen in our lifetimes.

An overhaul would require throwing the corporate and banking lobbyists out of DC.
Never happen, too many favors and contracts and pork promises.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 09:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
If you want to play with figures...

According to the American Petroleum institute, Americans pay an average of 48.8 cents per gallon in taxes. The federal gas tax is 18.4 cents per gallon, while states set their own gas taxes.

www.bankrate.com...

Up here, the state is charging 29.5 cents a gallon, and we're paying 2.60 today.

If I'm following this thread correctly, they're talking about adding 25 cents a gallon to the existing 18.4 cents a gallon federal tax- which is a 135.89% increase in federal gasoline taxes.

Whoever suggested our government simply stop wasting money elsewhere and spend it on infrastructure, I'm with you. I don't need my federal taxes to more than double. Honestly, the roads around here aren't that bad.

We could probably scrape up enough money to pave the roads and replace every bridge in this country if we quit paying shady "defense" contractors 200 bucks for toilet seats and 100 dollar hammers. Most of that ends up in the hands of upper management and shareholders looking for an easy buck.

Maybe we could scrap the food stamp program and be able to pay for 1 bridge.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 09:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad

I'm with you on that, but some things would have to change first. Like the rest of the countries around the world doing their part and we wouldn't have to spend that much. But as of now we have to protect the shipping lanes around the world due to piracy. We've had back to back to back to back to back war mongers as leaders, jumping into every fight going on around the world since I can remember.

If we just did what all the other selfish countries around the world did and only protected our own interests, I'd say we could definitely slash the military budget by half at least. Don't get me wrong I fully support a strong and ready military, but the way I seen it ran in the Bush and Obama era. It was very wasteful.

Why don't we let global corporations police themselves since most Americans are on the losing end with globalism?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join