It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump endorses 25-cent gas tax hike, lawmakers say

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Reality seems to be setting in on deficits I see. If Trump is even considering this it's telling. The government has to generate enough revenue somehow in order to function. I guess given the multi-trillion dollar hole we're getting ourselves into:

President Donald Trump endorsed the idea of a 25 cent-per-gallon gas tax increase at a meeting Wednesday with lawmakers, people who attended the session said — a move that could help pay for his big infrastructure plan but brought swift attacks from anti-tax conservatives.

Trump's support came just two days after the White House released a long-awaited, $1.5 trillion infrastructure plan that didn't endorse such a politically perilous increase, and less than two months after he signed a mammoth tax code overhaul that would have provided cover for lawmakers supporting it. The last president to hike the 18.4-cents-per-gallon federal gas tax was Bill Clinton in 1993, a year before Democrats lost both chambers of Congress in a crushing midterm defeat.

www.politico.com...

The 25 cent hike on gasoline will be phased in over a course of 5 years and will generate close to $400 billion. There is a Democrat pushing for the hike - Rep DeFazio (D-Ore) and lawmakers have only reported that Trump gave his support at a meeting. Whether this tax will actually make it through I'm not sure. Sounds like a tax that will disproportionately hit the working classes.... as if working class folks aren't disadvantaged in the economy already.

I'd be prepared for future tax increases. With the loss of revenue as the result of the corporate tax cuts and deficits created as the result of expenditure I highly doubt the government will be able to continue functioning without some alternative means of revenue generation.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 06:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

But that extra 200 i saw on my tax return this year is great, glad they are finding a way to take more than that back

edit on 15-2-2018 by MarlbBlack because: can't type

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 06:13 AM
link   
New ¢25 tax proposal ✓
Crude oil prices down ✓
New tax reform and somehow many Americans thinks a bill enacted in 2018 affected their 2017 taxes ✓✓ and ✓.
All those major investors building new jobs and investing billions , nowhere to be found just yet ✓
Factories closing, lay offs camouflaged in the background after supposed tax laws enabled companies to give 'bonuses' ✓

Stock market showing signs of implosion✓
Failed attempts at provoking NK into conflict to fuel the war machine ✓✓✓✓✓✓✓✓✓

Sessions first move was to remove the leash on private prisons and tried to attack the weed market with a hint of new 'stop and frisk' law... That failed.
We gotta make the rich get richer somehow right. The war industry is dying...

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 06:15 AM
link   
a reply to: MarlbBlack

You know what's worse? A good 40% of the working population received no tax cuts at all as they pay no income taxes - this is due to the fact their incomes are low. Now picture how much of an impact this will have on a working class family?

The lower classes receive a tax increase. They see no benefit at all. Just more financial suffering.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 06:15 AM
link   
And first to endorse a tax hike? A greedy Democrat, no surprise there. 25 cents over 5yearsis better then when gas was $4.00 under Obummer!!

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 06:18 AM
link   

I agree with everything you've said, give a lil take even more.. I wouldn't be surprised if people start calling into work because they can't even afford to get there.. Heck I can't even afford groceries

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 06:21 AM
link   

You know what's worse? A good 40% of the working population received no tax cuts at all as they pay no income taxes - this is due to the fact their incomes are low.

And the truth shall set you free!

Why don't these low income workers go for the high paying jobs? Look on any job site and you will find several jobs paying $80,000+. Why the fawk don't they snatch that job! Please, tell me why they don't.

The rest of us got a tax break...

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 06:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

Why don't these low income workers go for the high paying jobs?

You need to brush up on how the capitalist system works. Not everybody can go into high paying jobs you know that right? Market forces dictate a broad lower class to keep the economy running. If everybody was able to get that high paying job then the market would re-adjust as those 'special jobs' will no longer be special - much like flooding the market with diamonds - this will devalue their worth.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 06:30 AM
link   
I can not come up with one good thing the government has done for me.
Now they want more money.
I can fix my own damn potholes and between my neighbors and myself we can police the block.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 06:35 AM
link   

with the countries infrastructure falling apart, how would you fund the repairs?

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 06:42 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

I feel your pain, not one damn thing have they ever done for me but take... Freedom right? :/

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Man....if only we had those gas prices in Canada.
We pay by the litre here.

1 litre in my city = $1.30

Looking on Gas buddy, the average price between every state is around $2.50/ Gallon

1 US fluid gallon = 3.78 litres

$1.30/L x 3.78 litres = $4.91 = 1 fluid Gallon.
So we payjust under $5 per gallon here.

In the US 1 gallon @ $2.50/3.78 = .66 /Litre
So in the US you pay 66 cent per litre.

GOD I WISH!!!!!

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 06:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

we don't believe in "the devil's math", or as you call it, "the metric system".

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 07:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian
a reply to: Vector99

Why don't these low income workers go for the high paying jobs?

You need to brush up on how the capitalist system works. Not everybody can go into high paying jobs you know that right? Market forces dictate a broad lower class to keep the economy running. If everybody was able to get that high paying job then the market would re-adjust as those 'special jobs' will no longer be special - much like flooding the market with diamonds - this will devalue their worth.

Correction. everyone CAN, but not everyone WILL.

The higher paying jobs are achievable, but they aren't handed out like prizes. you actually have to earn it.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 07:45 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

hahaha sorry this made me laugh, great comment
always using google to get celsius temps and metric measurements..

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Trickle down economics work like a charme to have all that working class money trickle up, eh?

Why should the richest 1% get taxed for this, or big corp for that matter? They are busy creating jobs, ya know...

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Sounds like a tax that will disproportionately hit the working classes.... as if working class folks aren't disadvantaged in the economy already.

Precisely, and those living rural.

All the while the wealthy, driving their Tesla electrics get off scott free.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 08:02 AM
link   

The primary beneficiaries of infrastructure are businesses, tax them. Sure, they'll simply pass the cost on to consumers, but at a fraction of the cost to the general population as the cost would be spread throughout a broad base of consumers. And consumers have the choice to consume less as prices rise. It could also be partially paid for by a higher tax on the things only the evil theiving rich like to buy. Call it a luxury tax.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 08:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: MarlbBlack

hahaha sorry this made me laugh, great comment
always using google to get celsius temps and metric measurements..

google, the great equalizer. (same here)

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 08:10 AM
link   

I had to do the same thing looking at the conversion tables, to post my comment lol.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join