It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Social Media, Cell Phones, and Filming Everything

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 09:02 PM
link   
What is with millenials and people in general these days who feel the need to film and post every freaking thing that happens in their lives? It is almost like people have zero boundaries.

I'm not going to post it, but I just happened to be checking out a website and they had a video from inside the school that was shot up today of students being evacuated. Students were clearly distraught, crying, etc. One kid lying dead on the floor bleeding out. What really got me was that several of the kids have their phones out filming everything. I mean WTF?

I get it is easy to whip out a phone, but I've never once thought about filming something in the middle of a life threatening situation. I've come upon car accidents, people hurt, etc over the past couple of years and at no point has it crossed my mind, "hey let me film this tragedy and post it on instagram."

Anyway... just a rant.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 09:26 PM
link   
But but but .... just think how POPULAR they will be when they post those videos. They will be famous. They could possibly have their channel monetized. The majority of these kids base their entire self worth on the opinions of others. They know no other way.

This is the final product our education system was designed to create.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 09:35 PM
link   
It is called common sense and morality
If someone is firing an automatic weapon in my general direction , this thing called common sense kicks in . I have a tendency to drop everything and head for the "hard deck"

Some folks are not the "brightest crayons in the box"

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I agree it's wrong, it's not only dangerous for the person filming, but also where the incidents are similar to the cell recording during the Vegas shooting of the young man poking and moving people(which can kill them) while filming them. Each and every person reacts differently in such a situation, maybe it's just the modern consequence of the cell phone/ internet culture.

However, I know this won't be a popular opinion: It's either social media shared recorded events, or wait for security camera evidence- that often times is never released due to sensitivity and as some say due to an event being a coverup. The consequence exists, of course, for example as seen with all the claims of second and third shooters from the Vegas shooting.

A lot of people are tired of the media twists, want to see it for themselves, now they can for better or for worse. Now days it's all real time anyway, from camera videos, to social media comments about the situation to live feeds-news and independent media and police scanner live feeds.

edit on 14-2-2018 by dreamingawake because: re-writen

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I film everything with my S6 edge, but I'm a documentary film maker and I only post on social media if it's news worthy and relevant, From tragedy to heroic deeds.

Technology has made everyone a video journalist. Networks pay big bucks for nightcrawler content. I also have a drone and go pro rig and for events I use a Panasonic G7 with a shotgun mic and battery operated LED light.

I know there is disdain for us media types; but you still watch!! We still have to make a living between our Union gigs; I also crew for ESPN and work as a stringer for the networks and crew for movie productions. I'm in the studio now....
edit on 14-2-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 10:29 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12
Can stringers make a living in most decent size media markets, or are they only able to make it in big time cities like LA, NYC, Dallas for example? I thought about doing it here in Tampa, but I don't know if its a viable thing here. I seen all kinds of things in the late night that I never hear about on morning news. Maybe they just did not have a tip off possibly recording video??

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

I don't know about making a living as a stringer in Tampa/St Pete but you should do ok. Explore other platforms using your skills as a videographer or still photog. I mainly crew for other producers as a IATSE grip/gaffer, audio tech/boomop, anything to make a living.

Take the classes and get in Local 321 if you can.....good luck!!

Check out ...www.mandy.com...

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Current events aside...

I find it really weird when so many people want to experience an event THROUGH their phone.

I've seen it so many times, a cute animal at the zoo, a crazy rock concert, a beautiful piece of scenery, landmark events with children (walking, talking)... instead of looking at it and soaking it in... people hold a three inch screen up to their face and watch the screen instead of the actual moment. Then they put their phone down, check that it captured, and then move on without ever looking up.

It's disturbing to say the least. It's not blood and guts disturbing I know, but I really feel like this could have some really insidious roots and have a deteriorative effect on peoples psych over time.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 10:44 PM
link   
well, I did not mean it like as a way to retirement. But mainly as like a supplemental income thing. I watched that show on Netflix about Stringers, and it got me thinking if I could fill a niche here.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 10:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
well, I did not mean it like as a way to retirement. But mainly as like a supplemental income thing. I watched that show on Netflix about Stringers, and it got me thinking if I could fill a niche here.

Give it a try...but it's very competitive and you need a 4k rig.

Or you could start your own show on public access TV. Who knows, you could be the next Alex Jones. That's how he started and turned it into a multi million dollar empire.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 01:15 AM
link   
These people don´t even know that they are a part of the growing surveillance system, they don´t know that they are the mobile spying cameras for that system. If they use their spyPhones to film everything.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 02:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: ClovenSky
The majority of these kids base their entire self worth on the opinions of others. They know no other way.

lol, "these kids"?

I'm fairly sure the majority of people, since human society has existed, have based their entire self worth on the opinion of others...

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Smartphones is the new voyeurism. While a person sits on the side of the road having been hit by a car the crowd just films him. While an old woman is mugged. While a kid is bullied. Very sad reflection on society and the person recoding.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 02:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
What is with millenials and people in general these days who feel the need to film and post every freaking thing that happens in their lives?

Including their own misdemeanours, thus providing evidence against themselves. I've seen several stories in recent years about people fallling into their own traps.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 02:53 AM
link   
No need to worry abut facebook et al snooping on you, I closed my fb account the other day, and decided to make a new one just to keep tabs on some groups I was in, and avoid the plethora of random crap that flooded me. Just to have an option, also, when commenting on websites that make it easy to use an account to do so.

I did, and when I logged in, it was someone elses account.. Talk about taking a double step, and this guy had not used it since 2009, but still...

So how secure is facebook... if you can create a new account and suddenly find yourself in the midst of someone elses life?

private messages, personal pictures, the lot.

Logged out, and just forget it happened because who knows what.. but they really are slack in what they secure, along with open with that they take... no more social media for me.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 04:12 AM
link   
There's a millennial I work with who takes a picture of her breakfast every morning and posts it, somewhere.

I feel old, but I don't get it. At all.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 05:43 AM
link   
I had to raise my normally soft-spoken voice the other day.
A woman who is staying at a friends place...she has a pair of twins.
One of them, in the middle of a diaper change, ran and jumped in my lap.
She very quickly took a photo.
So now there is a photo of me with a pantless toddler.
I quickly told her to delete that sh!t.
She thought I was kidding.
I had to take her phone and do it myself.
I don't plan on running for politics any time soon, but that is the kind of image that can ruin a career.
Just to be very clear for the record, I am not in any way a pedophile.
An inch of image, taken out of context, can go a mile.
The world we live in.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 06:03 AM
link   
a reply to: MarkOfTheV

That is why Stadiums NEED $1B scoreboards, so those in-attendance can fill the 45 seconds between snaps..

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 06:09 AM
link   

I always tell myself after the situation "I wish I got that on camera!" I'm too slow to think about my phone and being a youtube star when other things are waaaay more important to deal with at the time.. Oh there's someone being kidnapped let's take my phone out and record it, or there is a lost child let's record this # instead of stepping in and helping kind of thing..

People are too scared to take control of situations now a days and their only thought is hey let's record this! Truly frightening to say the least.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 06:12 AM
link   
a reply to: MarkOfTheV

I know the reason for this, it's because people want to show how cool they think they are.. Look what I saw last night, this concert was sooo saweet! As they watch it through their lil screen
it's all about the likes.. Why I deleted facebook long ago, bunch of fake people that can't enjoy their own memories..

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join