It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Enough is enough. Public massacres and school shootings must stop.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

These adolescents need to learn how to "adult". Our society does not teach that.

Correct, our society teaches to WIN at all costs, weakness will not be tolerated and that revenge is sweet.
Look at our heroes, violent men that use violence. Intellectuals are scorned as nerds, artist are weaklings.... You reap what you sow....

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

This is good to hear. I'm glad that there is a policy in place and that it sounds like they run drills. Good.

One of the issues that got us into these shooting events is that while we should be teaching people to understand each other, what we've done instead is teach them how not to deal with differences, and instead lash out at things that we disagree with.

So as much as you may not like what DB has stated, it would appear that you do agree with them.

link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
a reply to: DBCowboy

Bravo! This is definitely part of the problem. Part.

But seriously, you you have to be in good moral standing to have a driver's license. Your ducks have to be in a row, you have to be responsible.

I wholeheartedly agree kids these days are pampered, coddled and not taught how to cope with life. But can we agree that making guns the same level of difficulty as a vehicle? Plenty of people can own cars, but it's mostly responsible people for a reason.

I just had to go through a complete background check for a 1911 I recently purchased.

What else to you want?

A prostate exam?

I want people who have threatened to use them for no reason or had serious mental problems (aka this kid and plenty of school shooters) to not be able to get them.

Well your car, tell the dmv, buy a car, register it.

What I'm suggesting is far from liberal... Are cars to strict? Absolutely not, plenty of dumbasses still.... But a lot less

I'm not saying anything super stringent. I'm still a proud responsible gun owner.

Commit crimes? Lose your temper and threaten people? Sorry, no gun.

link   
Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) (20 U.S.C. § 1232g; 34 CFR Part 99)

a Federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. The law applies to all schools that receive funds under an applicable program of the U.S. Department of Education.

FERPA gives parents certain rights with respect to their children's education records. These rights transfer to the student when he or she reaches the age of 18 or attends a school beyond the high school level. Students to whom the rights have transferred are "eligible students."

Parents or eligible students have the right to inspect and review the student's education records maintained by the school. Schools are not required to provide copies of records unless, for reasons such as great distance, it is impossible for parents or eligible students to review the records. Schools may charge a fee for copies.

Parents or eligible students have the right to request that a school correct records which they believe to be inaccurate or misleading. If the school decides not to amend the record, the parent or eligible student then has the right to a formal hearing. After the hearing, if the school still decides not to amend the record, the parent or eligible student has the right to place a statement with the record setting forth his or her view about the contested information.

Generally, schools must have written permission from the parent or eligible student in order to release any information from a student's education record. However, FERPA allows schools to disclose those records, without consent, to the following parties or under the following conditions (34 CFR § 99.31):
School officials with legitimate educational interest;
Other schools to which a student is transferring;
Specified officials for audit or evaluation purposes;
Appropriate parties in connection with financial aid to a student;
Organizations conducting certain studies for or on behalf of the school;
Accrediting organizations;
To comply with a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena;
Appropriate officials in cases of health and safety emergencies; and
State and local authorities, within a juvenile justice system, pursuant to specific State law.

Schools may disclose, without consent, "directory" information such as a student's name, address, telephone number, date and place of birth, honors and awards, and dates of attendance. However, schools must tell parents and eligible students about directory information and allow parents and eligible students a reasonable amount of time to request that the school not disclose directory information about them. Schools must notify parents and eligible students annually of their rights under FERPA. The actual means of notification (special letter, inclusion in a PTA bulletin, student handbook, or newspaper article) is left to the discretion of each school.

For additional information, you may call 1-800-USA-LEARN (1-800-872-5327) (voice). Individuals who use TDD may use the Federal Relay Service.

Or you may contact us at the following address:

Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20202-8520

link   
a reply to: olaru12

Correct, our society teaches to WIN at all costs, weakness will not be tolerated and that revenge is sweet.

Since when?

If that was the case there wouldn't be trophies for showing up.

link   

originally posted by: Willtell
You guys aren’t listening

Your hearing only what you want to hear.

You want an argument about guns and children are dying. F___ guns!

I’ll repeat for the last time what I’m trying to convey

If you don’t get it this time, so be it.

I'll go watch the Knicks.

My point is that the PTB are so dogmatic their side is right, nobody wants to compromise therefore nothing gets done to try to solve this terrible problem.

I’m not God, I don’t have a sure solution, I do have an opinion but would be willing to try intelligent means to deal with this issue outside of my solution.

Would you be willing to do the same thing?

The problem is that the consequence for any crime, including this, is minimal in relation to the crime. This dirtbag will be in the system forever, draining dollars and causing continuous grief to the families of those he killed today. It should not take 20 years to die by lethal injection, nor should there be life imprisonment for a cold blooded killer who has no place in American or any other society. This wasn’t any type of manslaughter...it was cold, calculated murder. The liberal agencies that condone and fight for these type perps never receiving their earned eye for an eye justice are the ones most responsible for any recurrence. Start putting these murderers to death within 6 months (including trial, conviction, and appeal)...you’ll likely see a decrease in these types of true mass murder.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Resources dedicated to solving problems like this are limited. Every time those precious resources are misdirected we take a step backwards. We have to accurately identify the problem in order to solve it.

First and foremost, this is not a gun problem. Guns have been around a long long time. This complete and total lack of respect for human life and dignity is relatively new. Blaming the tool used is about as stupid a solution as it is possible to create. You will never rid the country, or the world, of firearms so taking even one step in that direction is a waste of time and effort.

The children born in the last thirty years are to blame for the greatest majority of these crimes. The thing is, children haven't changed. They are still ignorant immature idiots who lack direction and discipline. It is the parents who have changed. Parents want to be friends with their children. Children have enough friends, they need parents. Parents who aren't afraid to smack them on the ass when they screw up. This "it takes a village" crap makes me sick. It takes a good solid kick in the ass when you disrespect someone. It takes punishment when you do something wrong. When I was growing up I knew what would happen to me if I screwed up. My parents made several things clear to me from an early age. One was that if I ever got arrested don't bother using my one phone call to call home. Mom and Dad were not coming to my rescue. If I disrespected my mother I got a smack in the face. That was a great deal compared to Dad. I got smacked a few times. I learned. The end.

I never got a participation trophy. I never got a gold star for going to the bathroom. Anything I got, I had to earn. And even then I was lucky to get it at all. Thats just how it was. No one had to pay me to graduate high school. I knew no one owed me a damn thing and if I wanted something I was going to have to work for it. Sure, my parents matched me dollar for dollar on my first car. But I still had to earn my share of it. I had a part time job when I was 14 because I knew what kind of car I wanted and I knew what it was going to cost. Three months before I got my drivers license I bought a 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner with a 440 6-pack in it. I had worked a year and a half just for that day. And I had to work some more to pay for the insurance and the gas. But I'll tell you, I earned it and it was worth it. And when my grades slipped and the keys got taken away, I earned that too.

The idea of earning something, not being owed something, is foreign today. The world is a tough place. People are mean sometimes. Work sucks. Life isn't always fun. The earlier children learn this the better off they are. That doesn't mean they can't enjoy their childhood. It means they will also enjoy their adulthood.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 08:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
*everyone* why do these shootings keep happening?

We teach people that "guns" are the way to solve our problems.

We do this in the movies, out of Hollywood, that promote and celebrate gun violence, under the disguise of "entertainment."

And we do this again, by invading countries, selling arms to people we want to "help" solve their political problems.

We do it again, by equipping the police with "guns" so that they can "help" to solve social problems.

So, everywhere we look, we're being "taught" by sight, sound, and deed, that "guns" are good, guns solve problems, guns eliminate all threats, guns are the preferred way to resolve issues.

If guns don't work, we then try diplomacy.

But, the first thing we do is arm our friends with guns, to help them prepare to solve whatever issues they might have.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 08:29 PM
link   
We need a love, unity, campaign.

America is too ingrained with hate, violence, and disunity.

We may be too far gone folks.

You see if we don’t do something like that then when the democrats get in they’ll be some kind of gun ban.

We have to change folks, there’s no other way….

Just like society is getting down on sexual violence

We need to get down on ALL violence

edit on 14-2-2018 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

I want people who have threatened to use them for no reason or had serious mental problems (aka this kid and plenty of school shooters) to not be able to get them.

So people lose their right for not actually committing a crime to the first part and the Gun Control Act of 1968 and Brady Handgun Prevention Act have made it illegal for 'nutcases' to buy and own them.

That was rather fascist.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: odzeandennz

Nope.

Dr. Phil in the thread wants to have an intervention, and talk about feelings.

im pro gun, but i dont think more guns is the solution.
i could be wrong.

but it seems like whatever law we have now Innocents are dying by the scores.

sure other countries have gun crimes, but they don't have a gun society like the US. when was The last mass shooting in the UK or Australia? they do have gun crimes, not like these at home.

i want to ask, do most pro gun folks here know why it was in the Constitution to own a weapon? what the context and extend was for that amendment?

remember, it was illegal for men to walk outside shirtless until the 1940s, and women couldn't vote. some laws are archaic and relevant to their era.

now in an effort to not just say its my constitutional right, lets discuss instead the rationalization that its just something in the amendment therefore its right today. lets look at today's society vs that of yesteryear, or is this sort of discussion not in line with ats today?
edit on 14-2-2018 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

LOL the republicans aren't the problem... stop being so partisan, this is an issue that transcends politics.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 08:32 PM
link   

I'd go a step further and make it a law that if you commit a crime using a firearm, you get the death penalty.

No forgiveness.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 08:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
We need a love, unity, campaign.

America is too ingrained with hate, violence, and disunity.

We may be too far gone folks.

A hug and a pat on the head would not have prevented this.
It would not have prevented Columbine.
It would not have prevented Aurora Colorado.
It would not have prevented 9/11.

Ignoring the fact evil exists in this world and always has is extremely naive and indicative of being a part of the problem and not a solution.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

Well a police station ain't ever been shot up.

im pro gun, but i dont think more guns is the solution. i could be wrong.

There is a reason these dirt bags choose places where people can't defend themselves.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: CriticalStinker

So people lose their right for not actually committing a crime to the first part and the Gun Control Act of 1968 and Brady Handgun Prevention Act have made it illegal for 'nutcases' to buy and own them.

That was rather fascist.

I'm sure that kid got expelled for rationally treating to bring a gun to school. They just didn't understand his rights.

I'm not evening arguing ban guns here. I started by saying he should have been taken more seriously.

So what are you going on about?

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 08:35 PM
link   

I'd go a step further and make it a law that if you commit a crime using a firearm, you get the death penalty.

No forgiveness.

Also a violation of the US Constitution.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 08:36 PM
link   

No forgiveness.

that would stop these"copycat" crimes right fn now

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

how is that different than mandatory sentencing?

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 08:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody

No forgiveness.

that would stop these"copycat" crimes right fn now

No they wouldn't.

We have the death penalty for committing certain crimes and yet people, knowing the consequences, still commit those crimes. The death penalty is not a deterrent.
edit on 14-2-2018 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join