It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bitcoins Power Usage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 07:55 AM
link   
My question is:

Can Bitcoin users use other peoples computer power to mine Bitcoin? Without their knowledge? Using maybe a VPN type device hacking into that persons computer??

I wonder if it's possible to do this and inso doing, run up another persons Electricity bill.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

not just doable, nearly a pandemic, it is happening, though its hard not to notice if it happens to you,

they have to hack into your system either manually or via a virus, (99% of cases is from a virus)
and then when it is running more then likely you will notice your system slowing way down. you can check your cpu usage / video memory usage to check, if you find the majority is being used up and you cant account for it in your running processes then you probly got it.

also, a vpn doesnt really have anything to do with this...
edit on 14-2-2018 by NobodiesNormal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: NobodiesNormal
Man, I remember back in the day when people just jacked your electricity to grow pot in their own house.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Yes, they can indeed use other people's devices for mining and it is even widely used - this is no new thing

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Yes..supposedly it can be done through apps also...

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 12:01 PM
link   
It's been done. Utorrent got caught doing it and some people think the anti-virus Avira is doing it as well.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 12:13 PM
link   
ok, thanks for the responses.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 02:21 PM
link   
They are doing it with webpage scripts to mine Monero coins.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Just when you thought you were safe with plans of protection from some what is mentioned in the thread, news sites are mining from your PC! Figures, it being Salon, but how many more?!

"Salon magazine mines crypto-cash with readers' PCs"

News organisations have tried many novel ways to make readers pay - but this idea is possibly the most audacious yet.

If a reader chooses to block its advertising, US publication Salon will use that person's computer to mine for Monero, a cryptocurrency similar to Bitcoin.

Creating new tokens of a cryptocurrency typically requires complex calculations that use up a lot of computing power. Salon told readers: "We intend to use a small percentage of your spare processing power to contribute to the advancement of technological discovery, evolution and innovation."

Source

Let alone any ads, especially from more sketchy ad companies, can have these on sites.
Going to certain gaming sites, a couple years back, had many people's computers infected with mining scrips.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

Pretty bad If you ask me. Wonder how many people are unaware of this act and pay their bills without question.

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Probably a fair number.

I suggest for people to know what they computer usage runs at for example so they can pick up on things like this, on top of anti virus protection. If more mainstream sites are going to have it happening more and more, intentional or not through ads, then gotta be more aware.

new topics

top topics

join