It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

meathead's mouthwatering Hawaiian chicken

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Hawaiian chicken..

This is my signature dish perfected over many years of dedication and patience..

Ingredients:

5 large red onions
5lbs raw chicken tenders
5 cloves garlic
2 red peppers
2 bell peppers
1 yellow pepper
1 cubenelle pepper
Paprika to taste
2 whole cinnamon sticks
1 bay leaf
1 Canned peach wedges in heavy syrup
1 Canned pineapple tidbits in heavy syrup
1 Canned mandarin oranges in light syrup
2 apples
1 fresh lemon or lemon juice
3 bottles of lawry's Hawaiian 30 minute marinade
3 bags of egg noodles
Olive oil or vegetable oil your choice..
I'm an Olive oil guy..

This lasts three people 4 nights..Serves 12 easily.. generally we only cook 1 bag of egg noodles a night because they are better fresh but if you are serving all at once I'd say 3 bags of noodles..

It's a 2 day prep and cook on the third..

---
Day 1.

Slice all peppers into ¾ inch slices lengthwise then cut the lengths in half.

Slice 4 large onions in half then into 1/3 rd inch wedges lengthwise.

Mix with peppers in large container or large Ziploc bag and add 2 bottles of marinade..

Marinade for two days in the fridge..

---
Day 2

Rinse chicken tenders

Grab a fork and stab every single tender up and down , then flip and stab each tender again.. we want max perforations..

Put chicken in container with last bottle of marinade..Mix well..And add to fridge..

---

Day 3

Time to cook..

Slice garlic as thin as possible and the same with your remaining onion.

Take half of that ( remaining onion and garlic)

Lightly sautee them in oil do not burn.then add chicken tenders.And sprinkle paprika. cook chicken until you can chop the tenders into bite size piece's with a non edged spatula..

DISCARD EXCESS MARINADE USED ON CHICKEN

Take cooked chicken and set aside covered..it'll stay warm ..we don't want to over cook it..ewe dry.. gross

So now we are ready to do the vegetables..in the same pan,
Add the other half of your thinly sliced garlic and onions and more oil..

Lightly sautee, when they start to break down, add your marinated onions and peppers. And ADD ALL the EXCESS marinade.it's fine I promise as long as it's from the veggies..

Add 1 whole bay leaf and two whole sticks of cinnamon.

Let simmer with no lid until the peppers are soft enough to break with a non edged spatula..

Add equal parts pineapple and peach heavy syrup to same pan to taste..I use about a quarter cup of each...And 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice stir stir stir..

Cook down uncovered on low heat and continue to stir adding ALL of the light syrup from the mandarin Oranges.

from here on out you have to watch the heat and stir stir stir. It's all cooked by now just Low heat and incorperate

add pineapple tidbits and peach wedges and mandarins oranges.

Add cooked chicken back to pan bring to simmer mixing well stir stir stir..

Slice apples leaving the skin on into wedges 1/2 inch wide and then cut them in half.. (we don't want these to turn to mush leaving the skin on helps them stay together..we add these last..Let simmer on low heat with lid on for 2 to three minutes) when the apples are soft it is done..

Serve over bed of egg noodles...

Spoon sauce liberally!

Enjoy!

Respectfully,
~meathead
edit on 14-2-2018 by Mike Stivic because: spell check #!&$ me again

edit on 14-2-2018 by Mike Stivic because: more spelling

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 03:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Mike Stivic

I'd definitely try it, but it sure looks sweet. So much syrup. Take out the chicken and garlic and you'd be posting a dessert recipe.

I did an image search off the recipe and it looks very tasty for garden BBQs on sunny afternoons. Does it work cold too?

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 03:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

That's why I add 5 cloves of garlic.to help cut it..if you ate mine you would ask what garlic though..lol
Notice there is no added salt..

And yes it's good cold I have been known to pick at it late at night straight out of the fridge ..

Respectfully,
~ meathead

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Also the syrup can be cut down ..that's a matter of taste. I have honed in on the quarter cup each ratio by judging feedback from my own family ..

I suggest adding a bit at a time in the slow simmer portion of the vegetable cooking until you find your own "sweet spot"..

Respectfully,
~ meathead

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 03:30 AM
link   

It does look tasty. I'd like to try it and might give it a go when winter passes. The marinade is available on Amazon and the rest is usually in the fridge and cupboards. It looks quite straightforward and spending a long time on prep is something I enjoy a lot anyway.

It's good to try as many different types of dish as possible.

ETA - Can't find your recipe on YT. This is closest so far...

edit on 2.14.2018 by Kandinsky because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 04:48 AM
link   

1 x packet of 2 minute oriental noodles ( mi goreng with the sachets of oily things no one can ever explain )
1 x handful of some $2 salad mix
1 x a dash of hot sauce.

that's my life

if I have rice, Add the rice to the noodle juice and cook till al dente. none of this soggy rice.

I should be on masterchef !

Oh and tons of probiotics because 2 minute noodles are indigestible. hit the lower colon as complete as they did before you ate them...

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 06:32 AM
link   

And yes it's good cold I have been known to pick at it late at night straight out of the fridge

As a rule of thumb....all meat I cook should be good cold.
For this reason,I don't do pulled pork.
Eating that cold is gross with all the cold dried fat leaving a disgusting film in your mouth.

It has to pass the late at night cold test!!

Nice dish!!

edit on 14-2-2018 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Sounds lovely and I will try it out.

But, never wash raw chicken.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 03:44 PM
link   

I'm not surprised that you can't find the exact recipe,I have been tweaking it for 2 decades..

I first started making it with my highschool sweetheart and it has evolved over the years..

Switching out the rice for a bed of eggnoodles was one of the best changes I made imo..

Thanks again for the interest, it was late when I wrote this up last night , if anything is not clear feel free to ask..

Respectfully,
~ meathead

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: badw0lf

Oh my friend, I feel for you...

That does not sound appetizing in the least..

Lol at the probiotics..

Respectfully,
~ meathead
edit on 14-2-2018 by Mike Stivic because: suplexed my spell checker

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: DrumsRfun

Good rule of thumb!

And thanks!

I tend to make so much at once because I only make it a few times a year.. so we don't mind eating for three or four days straight and it gives my mom a break for a few days.

Respectfully,
~ meathead

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Nexttimemaybe

I have never had a problem rinsing it..

Is there A reason you say to never wash it?

I'm curious.

Respectfully,
~meathead
edit on 14-2-2018 by Mike Stivic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Ok I wanted to go into a little more detail here about the flavor profile of the end result..

The marinade itself is not sweet it is very tangy with a mild viniger taste. The heavy syrup is the contrast.
I add what to some would seem an excessive amount of garlic but the taste is mellowed in the sautee process..

the lemon juice also helps cut through the sweetness of the syrup in a completely different way.. then the reason I use apples is the extra acidity and bite..I forgot to mention I use one sour apple and one fiji apple..the Fiji is tangy but not quite like a granny Smith..

the cinnamon sticks work to further cut the fine line between the tangy and sweet ..the bay leaf works it's own wonders in there in a way I can't quite explain..

Also as served it looks like a colorful chicken "stew"
Over a bed of noodles..Nothing like what is shown in the vid Kandinsky linked..

Although that does look good!

Respectfully,
~ meathead

posted on Apr, 19 2018 @ 06:06 PM
link   

I was asked to make this for the weekend but the grocery was out of the Lawry's marinade. So i started the vegetable marinade process today with price chopper brand Hawaiian marinade.
I've always used lawry's, so I will let you all know on Saturday how that turns out

To be honest the marinade tasted better raw so I have high hopes

Respectfully,
~meathead

top topics

join