It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reaper Kills a T-72 in Syria

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 03:13 PM
link   

A U.S. military drone aircraft destroyed a Russian-made T-72 tank in Syria over the weekend, U.S. officials said on Tuesday, in the second defensive strike against pro-Syrian government forces in less than a week.

No U.S.-led coalition or coalition-backed local forces were killed in the strike by a U.S. MQ-9 Reaper drone, which took place near Al Tabiyeh, Syria, on Sunday.

Lieutenant General Jeffrey Harrigian, top U.S. Air Force general in the Middle East, declined in a briefing with reporters to speculate on who was driving the tank. One U.S. official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said at least two pro-Syrian government forces were killed.

The U.S. military said it destroyed the tank after it moved within firing range of the U.S.-backed forces while being supported by artillery fire.

www.reuters.com...

It seems the Reaper is more useful than just for hunting insurgents.

The USMC wanted a Reaper on station in Hemland giving overwatch when they took over the mission there.

ObTroll:

So, the Reaper is the A-10 replacement?

+6 more 
posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 03:22 PM
link   
How does one perform a "defensive strike" against a Tank operating in it's own sovereign borders in a country we're not at war with?

Playing loose with lingo I suppose.
edit on 13-2-2018 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

So, the Reaper is the A-10 replacement? 

Maybe if they upsize it and add a GAU-8/A 30mm cannon.
edit on b000000282018-02-13T15:27:39-06:0003America/ChicagoTue, 13 Feb 2018 15:27:39 -0600300000018 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Rosinitiate

One of my main problems with defense, war, systems etc.

Of course I want My side to win because we are the "good guys"

But where does a fair fight ends and justification starts?

I personally find that difficult.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: EartOccupant

One of my main problems with defense, war, systems etc.

Of course I want My side to win because we are the "good guys"

But where does a fair fight ends and justification starts?

I personally find that difficult.

Right now I'd just be content understanding why we are attacking Russian tanks operated by the Syrian Army. I don't recall Congress declaring any sort of war in Syria.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 03:39 PM
link   

18 september 2014.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Self Defence...It fired on NATO backed troops..NATO fires back with Reaper..Nothing ruins a good war than politicians..

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Russia will start stepping up their air support soon.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

If it is self defense, then why would they fire on powers that could extinguish them?

That does not make sense.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 03:53 PM
link   

I second that!

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Great another incident of the US attacking a Russian "proxy". Who is running this show?
edit on 13 by tiredoflooking because: Spelling

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 08:08 PM
link   
200+ Syrian and Russian soldiers died here a few days ago, under USA artillery, bomber and attack helicopter fire, yet just a few miles away is large ISIS pocket that remains virtually untouched by US and it's SD forces.
Without coincidence, next to the most petroleum active area of Syria.
The SAA can't advance on this area because it's sandwiched between the Iraqi border and US forces.

edit on 13-2-2018 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: all2human
Just miles away form this area is an ISIS pocket that remains untouched by US or the SDF

Really?
Sources or it's not so.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 08:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Violater1
syriancivilwarmap.com...
syria.liveuamap.com...
twitter.com...
www.cnbc.com...
edit on 13-2-2018 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 02:02 AM
link   
a reply to: EartOccupant
"If it is self defense, then why would they fire on powers that could extinguish them?

That does not make sense."

I don't understand what you are saying here...

edit on 14-2-2018 by wileel because: didnt link properly

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 02:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlesT
Russia will start stepping up their air support soon.

I would not hold your breathe. The only place they are stepping up their air support is in Idlib area. They know where that the river is the red line, and not to cross it. Or at least they know now

a reply to: all2human
It is not remaining untouched. It has been getting wittled down since last year, and is significantly smaller than it was back in November and even December. However the problem is Turkey is making a last ditch effort to grab what it can from Idlib and Afrin while they still can, is requiring the redployment of ISIS fighting forces towards those area to fend off Turkey, which is slowing down their timeline to take that pocket. That pocket also happens to be mostly undeveloped desert with no major cities or towns.

Funny how Turkey gets to doing what it does right as ISIS is having trouble and getting nearly eliminated from Syria. You should be pointing your finger at them, it is clear they are giving daesh a life preserver to stay afloat.

If those forces don't want to get sent into the afterlife, they should not cross the river and attack our friendly forces. Rojava is ours, they need to accept it. The Syrians are not capable of taking it back, and the Russians clearly have a bigger bark than bite when it comes to USA air power.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 02:53 AM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Nonsense
This pocket is adjacent to the most oil rich areas of the country.

It's the American 'defensive' maneuvers that are accredited for violating ISIS's elimination and Syrian Sovereignty.
And apparently they intend to stay,so good luck with your Rojava.
See: Iraq, Libya, Afghanistan.

ISIS is doing just fine without Turkey having the US as it's protectorate.
I'd wager the US forces at hand could eliminate ISIS within a day if it was true to it's cause.

edit on 14-2-2018 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 02:52 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha
Looks like it got a shot off first..No defence against a Hellfire though..Two survived,very lucky..

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 11:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

or a few and some GBU's

top topics

<<   2 >>

join