It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House Proposes $4.4 Trillion Budget That Adds $7 Trillion to Deficits

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

We need to cut military spending down to $300 billion. We spend way too much on the military which did absolutely NOTHING to protect us on 9/11.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: Krazysh0t

So your argument is.

It's ok to spend money just as long as it's Team left.

Someone clearly said this.

Never mind that Obama's deficit spending had a purpose (to pull us out of one of the worst recessions since the Great Depression),

Anyone else like Trump.

It's a GD waste of money!

Give it up.

No. My argument follows economic theory for the last 100 years or so that Governments should increase spending to jumpstart economies in a recession and then decrease it when the economy is going well. This isn't a partisan issue no matter how much you want it to be. It's just correct economic theory. I know you like hating on Obama for spending money, but he had a purpose and reason. Trump is just fixing something that isn't currently broke, and we all know how that traditionally works out.

Man, use your head for a change and stop looking at the world through a partisan lens... It''s not a good look for you.
edit on 13-2-2018 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

No. My argument follows economic theory for the last 100 years or so that Governments should increase spending to jumpstart economies in a recession and then decrease it when the economy is going well.

That was hilarious.

What is there to show for that stimulus and those shovel ready jobs ?

NOTHING.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Besides the economy hitting record stock prices, unemployment being at an all time low, and the economy continuing to grow steadily over a year into Trump's Presidency? Yeah, absolutely NO benefits from Obama's deficit spending... *eyeroll*

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Budget deficits? Sounds demoralizing and scary. Let's all head over to the Q threads instead, where everyone can be an American Hero and solve exciting mysteries! MAGA! Right now they're investigating Ruth Bader Ginsburg's googly-eye ring that she wore to a gay wedding.

Bread and circuses, and still they keep adding to the deficit.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 09:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Besides the economy hitting record stock prices, unemployment being at an all time low, and the economy continuing to grow steadily over a year into Trump's Presidency? Yeah, absolutely NO benefits from Obama's deficit spending... *eyeroll*

Too funny.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Yeah, reality is pretty funny at times. For instance, Trump celebrates an economy that Obama handed to him because it continues to grow under his watch, but while he was campaigning he assured us the economy was in the toilet.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 09:32 AM
link   

I'm sure by now someone has pointed out to you that this is merely a budget request, essentially a wish list, and not the logic behind requesting more than what you know you're going to get, I'll just address another point that is a pet peeve of mine. This myth that the US spends an inordinate amount of money on our military.

We do spend the most dollar-for-dollar. However, we also have the largest economy in the world. To do a meaningful comparison you have to look at the percentage military spending takes up of the federal budget, or look at it as a percentage of GDP or on a per capita basis. On any of those metrics, the US isn't even the top spender in the world.

Military spending as percent of federal budget: US ranks 4th

Military spending as a percentage of GDP: US ranks 11th

Military spending per capita: US ranks 4th

So next time someone tries to come off like the US spends an inordinate amount on our military compared to other countries, hit them with some truth.

Also, the tax plan is very unlikely to add $1.5T to the debt. This has been explained in numerous tax threads. In order to get that number, CBO forecast a ridiculous 1.9% GDP growth average over the next 10 years. You'd be hard-pressed to find any 10-year period where US GDP growth averaged that low. When you plug a more realistic number into the calculation, like in the mid-2% range, the $1.5T disappears because when you grow GDP more, the government takes in more revenue. You can do the math yourself. It's not that hard. If we're growing more than about 2 and a half percent, the extra revenue actually starts to bring down the deficit.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

We need to cut military spending down to $300 billion. We spend way too much on the military which did absolutely NOTHING to protect us on 9/11.

There are so many things wrong with this post. See my post above about military spending. Also, 9/11? First of all the defense budget had been cut big-league during the 90s under Clinton. 9/11 was less than 8 months into Bush's first term. It takes time to recover from a decade of under-funding. Also, our defense posture wasn't designed for such an attack. Pentagon and intelligence officials had been telling Washington for years that we needed to prepare for scenarios like that, but no one took them seriously. Read the 9/11 Commission Report. It explains all this in great detail.

ETA: I know for doves, military spending is low-hanging fruit but if you're really concerned about the debt you should be calling for entitlement reform. Military spending only takes up about 15% of the budget, give or take a point or two. Social programs make up well over 50% of our budget.
edit on 13 2 18 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: face23785

I'm sure by now someone has pointed out to you that this is merely a budget request, essentially a wish list

But if Republicans were really deficit hawks, really wanted a balanced budget, and really wanted to pay down the federal debt, wouldn't their "wish list" reflect that with a balanced budget or budget surplus (so we could start paying down the federal debt)?

If the narrative were true that Dems wanted to run deficits and Repubs wanted balanced budgets, then the Republican "wish list" would have a budget surplus from all of the federal spending cuts. That would be the starting place and any spending increases beyond that would hypothetically come from concessions to the supposedly pro-spending Democrats. Instead, we're seeing that they don't really care about deficits at all. In fact, I found an interesting article from Sept of last year that seems to prove my stance.

A new tax cut is emerging to rival those of the Bush years, and the deficit hawks have hardly peeped.

“It’s a great talking point when you have an administration that’s Democrat-led,” said Representative Mark Walker, Republican of North Carolina and the chairman of the Republican Study Committee, a group of about 150 conservative House members. “It’s a little different now that Republicans have both houses and the administration.”

For years, Republican lawmakers lamented the soaring national debt, pressing for spending cuts and clinging to the mantle of fiscal responsibility. But last week, Senate Republicans hammered out a deal to allow for as much as $1.5 trillion in tax cuts, betting that supercharged growth will make up for lost revenue, a potentially dubious prospect. The tax plan outlined Wednesday by the White House and Republican leaders in the House and Senate could cost more than $2 trillion over the next decade, according to a preliminary estimate by the Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget, a nonpartisan advocacy group.

This month, the majority of Republicans in the House and the Senate voted to raise the debt limit without doing anything to rein in spending.

With Tax Cuts on the Table, Once-Mighty Deficit Hawks Hardly Chirp

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: face23785

Pentagon and intelligence officials had been telling Washington for years that we needed to prepare for scenarios like that, but no one took them seriously. Read the 9/11 Commission Report. It explains all this in great detail.

So then is it possible that "Washington" intentionally dismissed the advice of the intelligence community because "They" whomever "They" may be knew that "They" would not be able to orchestrate what would later be the biggest terroristic (false flag) attack this country has ever seen. If "They" allowed the military to set up standard defensive operating procedures then "Their" evil plot would never hit the target.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 10:00 AM
link   
The word deficit has been politically weaponized. In reality, a deficit is not something to fear, and especially not to use as a piece of criticism. If you were to balance the budget you’d be getting rid of the surplus in the private sector.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Cutepants

Let's all head over to the Q threads instead, where everyone can be an American Hero and solve exciting mysteries!

Lol.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: grey580
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

B-52 has been around for 60 some years.

And probably will be around another 40.

Well that is true, however look how fast some fighters and bombers have been rendered obsolete like the nighthawk-they spent more time in development then they did in actual combat.

If that is not a waste of money then i'm not here.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Political party hypocrisy. We see it today with conservatives defending Trump's lies and contradictions. If the shoe was on the other foot the conservatives would be yelling for impeachment! Here's a guy that told the American people he was for hard working Americans and then he turns around giving corporations a 14% tax cut and gives the working class a 3% paltry tax cut. He now contradicts his own campaign promises to not cut Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid! He also had some grand promises on the campaign trail for his healthcare plan stating, "healthcare for all," and "coverage for everyone was just human decency." "Hows the "drain the swamp coming?" He's draining more of his own hired administration staff by all his firings and personal scandals. For a fiscal conservative, he sure isn't concerned about overspending and adding to our trillion dollars deficit.

For all the hardworking Americans who voted for this liar, how's it feel to be scammed? His plans sure don't mesh with his concern for hardworking Americans. To ignore his blatant contradictions and defending his lies is just plain ignorance. Keep living with the delusion he's an angel sent from God. I believe he's a self-centered @sshole sent from Satan himself.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Another liberal using a liberal rag to promote their cause,where is the proof,other then another liberal lie?only time this happened was in a liberals mind

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

I'm gonna say that it was retired due to maintenance costs. (Maybe)

Though they have been seen flying in Nevada lately.
edit on 13-2-2018 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Dems: "it's only a problem when it's the other side!"

Repubs: "it's only a problem when Obama did it!"

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Cutepants

Let's all head over to the Q threads instead, where everyone can be an American Hero and solve exciting mysteries! MAGA! Right now they're investigating Ruth Bader Ginsburg's googly-eye ring that she wore to a gay wedding.

Why can't I star this multiple times? It's not fair.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I think what y'all are failing to realize is some good classic American logic:

Sometimes fiscal responsibility means spending money you don't have to dig yourself deeper in debt. By that logic Republican's are still the party of fiscal responsibility.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join