It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House Proposes $4.4 Trillion Budget That Adds $7 Trillion to Deficits

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 04:04 AM
link   
I guess deficits don't matter after all right?

President Trump sent Congress a $4.4 trillion budget proposal on Monday outlining steep cuts to domestic programs, large increases in military spending and a ballooning federal deficit that illustrates how far Republicans have strayed from their longtime embrace of balanced budgets.

The blueprint has little to no chance of being enacted as written and amounts to a vision statement by Mr. Trump, who as a businessman once called himself the “king of debt” and has overseen a federal spending spree that will earn him that title in an entirely different arena.

The White House budget request would add $984 billion to the federal deficit next year, despite proposed cuts to programs like Medicare and food stamps and despite leaner budgets across federal agencies, including the Environmental Protection Agency.

www.nytimes.com...

While many on here would be celebrating at the idea of gutting Medicare, Food stamps and government departments like the EPA, these cuts (greatly at the expense of those Americans most in need) won't make a difference to deficit spending overall. The Trump administration is proposing large incre ases on the military and border patrol among other things.

Get this, he wishes to increase the military budget by $195 billion over the next 2 years. Yes. Despite the fact the US dominates the world in military expenditure already.

Remember that this excludes the $1.5 trillion tax cut he's given (heavily in favor of the wealthy elite and corporations). The $7 trillion figure has been calculated according to proposed increases (along with current deficits already predicted) in the budget over the course of the next 10 years.

I've already stated on here that I'm in full support of Trump's proposed $1.5 trillion infrastructure budget which I believe will be beneficial to jobs and to communities across the nation. The issue is, whatever benefits inevitably come out of this infrastructure bill will do next to nothing to solve the gaping mutli-$trillion dollar money hole this administration will inevitably leave as the result of unnecessary binge spending on other programs. Veterans will also see an increase so that's good right? That's a small positive angle I guess?

Great guy huh?

edit on 13-2-2018 by Southern Guardian because: Spelling!

+12 more 
posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 04:56 AM
link   
When it comes to actually Presidenting, Trump seems to be terrible

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 05:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

May as well take the Reps and the Dems and lump them all into one stinking party. Now the only question is what would be a fitting name.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 05:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tarzan the apeman.

May as well take the Reps and the Dems and lump them all into one stinking party. Now the only question is what would be a fitting name.

Congressional
Unamerican
Nihilistic
Thieving
Soul suckers

I think thats a fitting title for them all.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 05:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Tarzan the apeman.

Who cares? I'm older. I have no kids. It's YOUR kids that will be paying it back, not me. So I say, spend, spend, spend. Make my life better now, and let someone else take care of the bill.

End of sarcasm.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Republicans at the federal level only "care" about budget deficits when Democrats are in power. Reagan ran large federal deficits and so did both Bushes. Clinton ran a budget surplus at the end of his 2nd term, which Dubya Bush immediately returned to a budget deficit. Anyone who actually thought Trump would push a balanced budget or a budget that generates a surplus was fooling themselves.

The political sales pitch they use is usually something like "the federal govt has a surplus because it's taxing you more than it needs to, therefore we should slash taxes and give that money back to the people". With that manner of thinking, we'll never have a balanced federal budget, much less pay off the national debt, because they'll never allow the federal govt to raise excess money that would be used to pay off that debt.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 05:28 AM
link   
They also know we now live in an Era where they can do one thing and say the opposite, and their supporters will believe what they say.

Fox will say they are bring fiscally responsible, so people will believe it.

Terrifying thing, this post truth Era.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 05:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Painterz

The ridiculous yet ironic part is the $195 billion increase in military spending. Remember when Trump tweeted about not allowing transgender people into the military? Well here's a very long ATS thread about it (HERE). Throughout that thread, you'll find a lot of posters who agreed with Trump's position, many because of the argument that transgender soldiers were costing the govt too much money for their operations & procedures.

Well this proposal increases military spending by an additional $195 billion over a mere 2 years. Clearly they don't have a problem spending our tax money on military expenses, so what were they really complaining about? It's ok to allocate our taxpayer dollars towards defense contractors & missions to protect other countries, but it's not ok to allocate it to the transgender Americans who are actually serving in the military? WTF?

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Ahhh Liberals care about deficit spending only when republicans are in charge..

I didn't like it under Obama and I don't like it now, but until people use that thing on top of their shoulders for something besides a hat rack and vote these people out of office, and stop supporting the democrats and the republicans nothing will change.

But hey keep cheerleading for your corrupt team I am sure that will help.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 05:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf

I didn't like it under Obama and I don't like it now, but until people use that thing on top of their shoulders for something besides a hat rack and vote these people out of office, and stop supporting the democrats and the republicans nothing will change.

Wait a moment - you mean that you can declare ANY critic on this to be "from a liberal, therefore stupid, biased and to be neglected"? Is this the way to discredit cricit now?

Wow, thats really easy. Mind, if I use it on your opinions whenever I feel like it?

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Trillion + deficits have been around since the Bushes - Bush Jr doubled the National Debt, as did Obama, but now we're in some real trouble. The debt will never be paid back... and they're adding to it.

I heard on whack NPR that the deficit next year will be closer to $1.4 trillion - is the $4+ trillion for the next 4 years?

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 05:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf

There are no liberals, just politicians on both side of the aisle playing the same game.
I remember watching a debate on the differences between liberals and repubs and the main theme concentrated on policy.

There appear to be no responsible people holding politicians to policy but rather supporting party over policy.
The whataboutism proves more than ever both parties are alike.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Now you people care?

Didn't seem to care 20 trillion ago.

Depends on how it's spent and how much we can get back on the infrastructure! YAY!

Infrastructure! Everyone wanted that, right?

So what the # is the problem?

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 06:25 AM
link   
a reply to: burgerbuddy

In all fairness, many conservatives cared then too. Unfortunately, given the current political divide, I don't believe any deficit neutral spending bill could ever pass.

Our only hope is that the economy will grow at such a rate, as to offset the shortfall. Our military needs to get a boost after being neglected for the better part of a decade, IMO.

I just wish the $ was spent more wisely.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 06:42 AM
link   
What the article does not point out is that this is a reduction in the run rate of deficit increase.
That said - it seems crazy that the US keeps kicking the can down the road.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 06:51 AM
link   
a reply to: ManFromEurope

Nope made a judgment call on the person I replied to based off their posting history.

But hey feel free to keep projecting your opinions as my thoughts.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 06:55 AM
link   
a reply to: jacobe001

There is not a nickels worth of difference between the two parties, its why I added the part about not supporting either party.

Until we break that stranglehold the odds of getting a good respsonsible person into congress without becoming hopelessly corrupted is pretty small, and then if we get them in the odds of them getting into a position to actually enact change is slim to none, and slim just got hit by an asteroid.

edit on 13-2-2018 by Irishhaf because: to much caffine fingers cant keep up with thoughts.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 07:06 AM
link   
White House Proposes $4.4 Trillion Budget That Adds $7 Trillion to Deficits

Still cheaper than the $10 trillion the last guy added.

Now wut ?

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 07:07 AM
link   

While many on here would be celebrating at the idea of gutting Medicare, Food stamps and government departments like the EPA

Classic Liberal propaganda for "we have no clue how to counter Trump's winning"
Happens every single time . The same saying over and over and over again .
What you going to do next ? Repeat the "throw granny from the cliff for the millionth time ?" I think Obamacare did a good enough job of that....
In case you have never been here , the US is a fairly large and modern country . Takes money to buy land and keep it up.

The military budget needs to be increased.. It was veritably placed on hold while a certain treasonous individual was in office. Seems as if he used all the money tagged for defense to unlawfully spy on folks and droning US citizens no matter where they were after suspending Habeas Corpus . Oh , and bombing hospitals where doctors of the world were treating patients.
Not counting the billions he gave to Iran , unlawfully. In the middle of the night . When no one was watching.
Next.

edit on 2/13/18 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Deficits only matter when a Democrat is in charge. Duh.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join