It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Carbon Tax is Gaining Momentum - What to Expect

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Carbon Tax is Gaining Momentum- What to Expect

Prelude
This has been a topic of concern for many years, for those worried it will raise their own taxes and more. Now that it's inching even closer that states will enact a carbon tax, it should be more open for discussion. Washington State, where voters over overwhelmingly voted it down in 2016, has a governor pushing it through where it may be the first to have carbon taxes as it passed the senate and legislature.

So, what exactly does the tax mean, how will it impact citizens? If i is deemed successful, will it be a model example to pass elsewhere?

I have been waiting on further updates of the breaking development since January of this year. The following is the information and updates so far on this.

Sources

Fox News report explores some of what I'll be sharing in the thread. As well as mentions a similar plan forming in the Northeast. California already has a Cap-and-trade. Oregon has similar plans.

Historic step for carbon tax in Washington Legislature
Feb 2, 2018
OLYMPIA, Wash. - A historic moment is at hand in the local fight against climate change. For the first time, a carbon tax has passed out of the Senate Energy C committee in the Washington State Legislature. And supporters say this is likely the first time a carbon tax has passed a legislative committee anywhere in the country.

Washington governor proposes new carbon tax
Jan. 2018
Inslee’s plan would tax oil and gas emissions, and emissions by power plants, at a rate of $20 per metric ton beginning in mid-2019. The tax rate would increase annually by 3.5 percent. “Now is the time to join in action and put a price on carbon pollution,” Inslee told legislators. “Doing so will allow us to reinvest in all the things that drive down emissions.”

The tax would generate an estimated $1.5 billion in new revenues over the first two years, and $3.3 billion over the first four years, Inslee's office said. Some of those costs would be borne by consumers in the form of higher electricity, natural gas and gasoline prices.
Source- TheHill

What it will mean directly for tax payers:

•Gas Prices

The carbon tax would add an additional 9 cents a gallon beginning in 2019. The tax would go up each year until it reached a cap of 30 cents a gallon. There would be rebates for low-income citizens.
Source - Kiro

An analysis by the Washington Policy Center estimates the average family will spend $125 more on gasoline per year in 2019, and $375 more a year in 2029 if the tax is approved.
Source- 2

The low-income bracket is mentioned for rebates. Assume that would be brought about by records of receipts from buying gas and or charting driving habits. That, of course, could bring about privacy concerns. These days the middle-class is a concern group as well-see here, as many also live paycheck to paycheck.

•Employment

“If you are a person in Washington State who works for a company that manufactures a product, if this bill passes there is a very good chance you will no longer have a job,” said Ferndale Sen. Doug Ericksen.

See more provided as an example of what they are alluding to in the 'Opposition' section.

•Electricity rates will also rise.

The Opposition

•In 2016, "Washington State Voters Reject Nation's First Carbon Tax "

The measure was unpopular with social justice groups and divided environmental activists, many arguing it did not go far enough in promoting clean energy.
Source - Inside Climate News

The bill would affect Colstrip owners Puget Sound Energy and Avista Corp., two of the power plant’s six utility owners.

Source-BillingsGazette

Carbon Trading

California's Cap-and-trade

Carbon Project - NASCSP
As some may know, carbon credits are already traded. An example of carbon tax trading: when someone has their home weatherized. As according to them the weatherized home emits less carbon, the local organizations who weatherize the homes ask if you would like to keep and trade or give the carbon credits to them to trade when they are award it for participating in the weatherization.

Conclusion
I figured to give a heads up abut Carbon Taxes, how it will affect citizens. At this point, while on the fence about Climate Change. I am also agreeing with the oppositional points about the tax. As well as not agreeing with some of the directional opine of the Governor on the tax- ie he is reacting to 2016/2017's La Niña (FAQ on it) for the region's whether issues rather than Climate Change.

While I don't believe the whole of the thread should turn into a climate debate, I expect it to come with the territory as well as it being a touchy subject, with that ask for members to be respectful so the topic remains for those who want to discuss it. Also that I believe this is a partisan debate, both have shown to be pro and against it overall. I will leave it up to mods if this is an appropriate forum for the thread.

Thoughts?

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Carbon Tax is Gaining Momentum - What to Expect

Poverty , unlawfully imposed on the populace by members of the respective corrupt governments taking knee to the U.N. and a fantasy.
Be my guess

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 01:44 AM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

It is possibly the biggest con of our generation, people that push the agenda have a vested interest, Mr Gore...

Alternate energy and power has been swept under the rug and one than one person that created what was going to be a viable and "cheaper" form of energy where bumped off. Stanley Meyer comes to mind if you fancy going down the rabbit hole.

RA

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 02:00 AM
link   
a reply to: slider1982

Him, Bloomberg, already Tweeted their support of it.

Exactly, the system doesn't want alternative energy and power. They don't profit from it nor will let it change unless they can profit and or run more revenue scams. States are already saying electric cars are the reason why they are not receiving enough gas tax. Here comes more plans for "tax per mile", which already had shown it's failure points when tested out.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Go for it. Let's try it on Washington.

See how the experiment goes.

If the Seattle Gun Violence tax is any indication of how things will be run in the Evergreen State, then it won't be long before the aviation industry leaves.

Maybe they'll come to Nevada where they won't be taxed to death. Of course, this means everyone who did work in these plants will have to move or simply take other jobs that will definitely be available...Right? They talk about 9 cents to the gas tax, but that's not all a carbon tax is. That's just an example of what this is going to cost people.

There is a damned good reason they're promising subsidies. They EXPECT to hit low-income people hard and they expect that many will be MADE INTO low-income people as a result. This is NOT the way forward.

Making people poorer is an effective way to reduce carbon emissions, but it is not ethical.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 03:31 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

IMO this state is going to see a big backlash if this is pushed through. Not just by the corporation, even Amazon is seeking a new HQ cause of similar issues, but by the people. After all citizens didn't vote for it.

Exactly it will hit the lower income brackets. It's only so that far people can be pushed, that includes people that initially may have sided with it-since it overwhelmingly was voted down in the first place. There's a whole lot of us rural people that they forget. We don't have access to alternative transportation, such as buses or trans, or walking to the store, and rely solely on driving 20 plus miles to shop.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 06:22 AM
link   

If they want to justify MORE taxes in the form of this "carbon tax", they can lower or eliminate taxes on the items that cause the increased carbon footprint. That's the only way I'd support this.

The people running our government are criminal leeches...

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 07:10 AM
link   
They literally want to tax the air.

What's next?

Taxing the water?

The carbon tax is about as stupid as it get's.

The climate is a perpetual motion engine(something some say doesn't exist).

I know let's create yet another layer of taxation.
edit on 13-2-2018 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 07:35 AM
link   

So, what exactly does the tax mean, how will it impact citizens?

If company costs go up so do cost to consumers.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
Go for it. Let's try it on Washington.

See how the experiment goes.

I agree. If this is what the State of Washington wants to do then let them. Its citizens can opt to stay if they support this policy or vote with their feet and move elsewhere. This is the way the United States was envisioned to function by the Founders, 50 (13) different democratic experiments, each free to do as they pleased.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I think the big question on carbon taxes and cap and trade is "where is the money going"? Is it going to buy trees? Or supplementing the state's budget?

I myself think it's a scam so that legislatures have another income source so they can spend spend spend. It won't do the slightest bit of good except encourage companies to move away to more tax friendly states.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 08:32 AM
link   
So the tax money revenues pay-off the carbon particles to go somewhere else right?

Is that how it works?

😁

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I think they go to Idaho and join a militia.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 08:45 AM
link   
And paying more at the pumps will help out mother nature how exactly? Oh right. Just like paying more at the pumps is supposed to fix our roads and bridges.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Just another scam among scams.

Everybody needs to be vocal against this. There is just not enough data on record that proves global warming or climate change is real.

The earth is 4 billion years old, I just can't believe that a couple hundred years of data can be accurate, as nature has so many variables.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 09:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
They literally want to tax the air.

What's next?

Taxing the water?

The carbon tax is about as stupid as it get's.

The climate is a perpetual motion engine(something some say doesn't exist).

I know let's create yet another layer of taxation.

We agree on this much: it’s stupid, irrational, counterproductive, and on and on.

What kinda of pull will states have on Chinese sovereignty? Umm, a big fact nothing-burger. Someone would should tell these ‘lawmakers’ to take a look at the latest EIA’s International Energy Outlook; they’d be wise to recognize China consumes half the world’s coal and are projected to consume more in an absolute and comparative term.

Sounds like the kinda lawmakers who wanna raise the gas tax. Idiots.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Carbon taxes are bogus, however there can be another solution.

If fossil fuel companies were given the incentive such as a tax cut to create renewable energy sources than so be it, however if they don't meet the quota per annum, tax the hell out of them.

Energy companies make billions a year, If a tax break allows them to expand into renewables then by all means they can pursue that and help save whatever is left of the world after we are gone. But if they want to ignore their children and their concerns tax 'em till they realize their folly, god help them.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Thoughts?

Well done OP! LOts of sources and itis an interesting topic as far as the Left Coast is concerned. I don't know where you live, but if I were living on the Left Coast, I'd simply have to expect that these taxes, fees and penalties will ultimately be put into place. Jobs will be lost, but from what I've read, employers are already leaving Califorinia, don't know about Washington and Oregon.

One thing to watch for is that when this is reality, you will find it may be better to be qualified as "low income" and find a way to raise cash off the grid in the black market.

As to global warming, whether its man made or not, whether its real or not, doesn't really matter at this point because its been effectively rendered settled science by the elites who want to use it as a bludgeon to cofiscate property and whatever wealth the middle class might still have.

The real answer if your a youthfull person in the US is to gather up as much money as you can unto yourself and get ready to get out of the US for a lower tax jurisdiction like Peru, Bolivia, Uruguay, etc.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Anything to suckle at the teat of the taxpayer--even if said taxpayers prefer your lips not be on their teat.

Damn West Coast...

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Carbon tax is being pushed by greedy globalists and the elite. Taxes are just the beginning they want control of every aspect of your life. People will no longer be able to burn wood coal etc. It is a sleazy NWO U.N. agenda that wants control of the world. The can kiss my a--. a reply to: dreamingawake

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join