It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Administration Wants To Decide What Food SNAP Recipients Will Get

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Having read the article, and the comments the following can be stated:

I am a bit torn on this, as I think that this removes options and choices from people. What if the child has special needs and diet? This could take away choices from the parent to go with what the government determines. There are a portion of children that are born with diseases, like diabetes, that can not eat some foods, due to their nature.

But I have also seen people abuse the system, by getting things that makes one wonder who it is for, or particularly healthy for a child that is growing.

Now if they have options where it can accomodate say a child with special needs, then I would say it may be the thing that is needed.

link   

link   

originally posted by: matafuchs
I was never on any assistance thank goodness but have friends that were in the 80's. Powdered Milk, bread, a block of cheese and some food stamps for essentials. They got by. We used to laugh about the block of cheese all the time. It was embarrassing but it was a single mom and she did it. I remember sometimes shopping with her kids and it was embarrassing but they turned out ok. LOL.

Now, it looks like a debit card. You can go to a kwikie mart and you know they will sell you anything. It is being abused and heavily at this time. Time to end the welfare mentality in the US. Those who really need it should get.

They also had churches, neighbors and other PRIVATE orgs that helped. Today it is all about big Government to help and people think that is good. IT IS NEVER GOOD, and I think Trump realizes that too. I wish people would think about this...what did people do before SNAP and like programs? They were not starving to death... But here we are today close to 100 billion annually...

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 01:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

I am neither left or right but it is true of right wing politics the world over to rob the poor and give to the rich

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Lol

The one liberal actually says, what if they don’t know how to cook the food they are given, lol

From the story:

" The package was described in the budget as consisting of "shelf-stable milk, ready to eat cereals, pasta, peanut butter, beans and canned fruit and vegetables."

If you don’t know how to prepare what’s in that box, it could be why you are on Snap to begin with.

Besides, they probably have cell phones to YouTube how to cook pasta.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Under the proposal, which was announced Monday, low-income Americans who receive at least $90 a month — just over 80 percent of all SNAP recipients — would get about half of their benefits in the form of a "USDA Foods package." The package was described in the budget as consisting of "shelf-stable milk, ready to eat cereals, pasta, peanut butter, beans and canned fruit and vegetables." The boxes would not include fresh fruits or vegetables.
op source
Food banks already offer a USDA package.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 01:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Somethingsamiss

Already been done. Many years ago. When's the last time you have been to a US grocery store ?
This happened in the late 90s I believe...
Or has been an ongoing process since the late beginning.
Used to be the only thing you couldnt purchase was beer or cigarettes .
Before that , the US government just sent you the food . I remember the canned peanut butter and powdered milk

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 01:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: khnum

I am neither left or right but it is true of right wing politics the world over to rob the poor and give to the rich

Really? How did all those rich liberals get rich? BTW just how do you rob the poor today? 80% of the work force works for small business, you know the type owned by non rich people.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 01:29 AM
link   

The richest 1 percent of your nation own 35 per cent of the wealth the bottom 80 per cent own 15 per cent but you keep that left right paradigm all the way through the point where they steal your pension and savings

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 01:31 AM
link   

You are right. It is all but gone away in many places. The church, even if not for forgiveness, was always there for the people of any town. Now many of them cannot afford to help. Lower congregations...

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 01:33 AM
link   
a reply to: khnum

Cream rises.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 01:33 AM
link   
I can see lobbying groups going HARD against this. That's a lot of food no longer being purchased at grocery stores.

I think a better solution would be to put a monetary cap on certain types of foods (soda pop and chips) but still allow recipients to purchase things like veggies, milk and bread locally.

Local grocers in smal rural communities could go out of business putting a strain on those that might be unable to travel 20 miles to a Wal Mart.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 01:36 AM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

It's almost as if the more people turn away from God the less good works happen...

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 01:40 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 01:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: khnum

The richest 1 percent of your nation own 35 per cent of the wealth the bottom 80 per cent own 15 per cent but you keep that left right paradigm all the way through the point where they steal your pension and savings

Wealth means savings... We are a consumer based society. What this means is everyone spends spends spends, like there ain't no end. What this also means is families that make below 100k per year have basically little to show for it outside of short term savings and a whole crap load of stuff they buy all the time.

So if you look at America basically 80% have zero long term savings, unless they are the few...I am not rich, but I most likely have more in savings than 100 million other Americans. The reason I say this is due to your heavily repeated statement, and I just need to say that anything is larger than zero...

You could also double people's pay and guess what??? They would still have zero in long term savings...but hey they would have a nicer car, bigger house and every up to date electronic gadget known to man.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 01:44 AM
link   
a reply to: khnum

Not all # floats...sometimes it rolls downhil
l

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 01:45 AM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

no.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 01:47 AM
link   

There is rich and there is wealthy. Chris Rock did a great skit about this. Rich you can lose in a weekend in Vegas. Wealthy...you are writing the checks of the people making 20 million a year.

8 of 10 people I know are 3 paychecks away from having nothing and they all make 80-100k a year. That used to mean you could live, own a home and take a vacation. Enjoy life not stress over bills and 1k phones.

When it crashes...it will be like the Walking Dead.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 01:48 AM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

The great melting pot..the scum rises to the top and the people on the bottom get burned

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 01:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs

You are right. It is all but gone away in many places. The church, even if not for forgiveness, was always there for the people of any town. Now many of them cannot afford to help. Lower congregations...

Yet they can afford automatic watering systems for the churches to wash away any unwanted homeless people.

edit on 13-2-2018 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join