It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How tall is too tall to be a jet jock?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I was wondering if someone could tell me what the height maximum for being a fighter jock in the USAF or USN is? I have heard answers ranging from 6'1 to 6'6. I was also wondering if it varies from aircraft to aircraft? for instance is there a high performance aircraft that they let taller people fly? Are choppers different? I was also wondering if a taller person would have a harder time bearing high g's since they have more blood that has to travel further??

So how tall is too tall to fly fighters?

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Well, off the top of my head, without researching the exact height standards, I can tell you that I have met some pretty tall F-15 pilots, upwards of 6'5".... lol and, from experience, and hearsay among pilots, taller guys usually take longer to get over initial g-sickness when they begin in fighters.

I'm kinda short, about 5'9", and the time I got to go up in an F-15D, I pulled 8.9 gs, and I never puked. Although I did feel queasy/nauseous on the straight-and-level approach back to the runway

just 2 cents

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Your question is a high-class problem. I believe the equipment in a cockpit should be adjusted to suit different person to operate. Another more important problem is the fighter should be not too tall to apart from ground so that a pilot could be into the cockpit as soon as possible.
For instance, the Su-27 seems too tall compare with the Raptor. What do you think?

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Yeah fighters do sit high off the ground. In an emergency it must be hectic to set the ladder up, climb in, have someone remove the ladder etc.... I think they should use an air bag suspension setup on the landing gear so you could slam it to the ground low rider style

I am 6'6 and was told once I am too tall to fly anything fun, but I was hoping someone could tell me different

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 11:07 AM
link   
depends on the fighters. Some of the smaller jets might pose problems for vertically gifted pilots. Might also be at a certain hieght you are unable to sustain high Gs like shorter people could

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I know an F-18 pilot that is about 6'4"

I would imagine as long as you can fit into the aircraft and are physically able to perform, there is no max hieght.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 01:01 PM
link   
i think what you are forgetting is that the height limitation is due to the fact that if you are too tall, you will not fit in the cockpit and even if you squeese in.. imagine what happens to your knee caps if you need to eject...

say bye bye to your patella..

say hello to writhing agony!

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by warpboost
Yeah fighters do sit high off the ground. In an emergency it must be hectic to set the ladder up, climb in, have someone remove the ladder etc.... I think they should use an air bag suspension setup on the landing gear so you could slam it to the ground low rider style

On F-15s, we have a built-in crew ladder that just slides in and out of the left(boarding) side of the aircraft, actually part of the airframe. It is deployed, climbed, and stowed within seconds. Emergencies on the ground as in quick escape, the fighter is not too high to run out and jump off the side of the wing....

Also, in reference to the cockpit and height, the F-15 is equipped with an electrically actuated seat height adjustment, and manually adjustable rudder pedals, most anyone in decent shape can fit in if need be

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 02:09 AM
link   
I think its has more to do really with your seated height rather then your overall height. There is I believe a minimum and max. seated height for the ACES II seat (not specifically for the F-16 ). So you cant be really short or really tall I think the Minimum is 34" seated height for the ACES II not sure for the max.

I think there is also max weight around 245lbs

new topics

top topics

join