It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Questions from an illiterate

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Please pardon my simple minded questions.
My device is a laptop, HP, 2GB and unfortunately runs on Windows 10.
1. Windows installed OneDrive, can I safely uninstall it, since I see no practical use for it?
2. Windows installed Cortana, is there any way to uninstall it?
I understand there can be complications.
3. (post pertinent) My beloved dinosaur Acer with every imaginable processing program died after fourteen years of faithfull service. With that my ability to write and create.
My question is. Is there a free downloadable program that will allow me to use multiple languages, translation is not required, just the option of writing in English and Danish with spell check?
Is there a free program similar to Word with spread sheets and so forth?
Thank you.

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: WalkInSilence

You need Open Office
I don't know what translator tools are available for it, but I'm willing to bet someone has programmed a macro to cover Danish language for it.

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 07:44 PM
link   

you can remove one drive, but it just comes back with updates.
I've seen people disable cortana, but removing it could prove difficult.

open office.

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 07:53 PM
link   

You can disable Cortana, however I don't think you can remove it completely. I am assuming the same for OneDrive.

www.windowscentral.com...

There are many open source projects that mirror common programs. Burdman posted a good one and IIRC it has language packs.

www.howtogeek.com...

edit on 12-2-2018 by JinMI because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 09:36 PM
link   

1. Windows installed OneDrive, can I safely uninstall it, since I see no practical use for it?
2. Windows installed Cortana, is there any way to uninstall it? I understand there can be complications.
3. (post pertinent) My beloved dinosaur Acer with every imaginable processing program died after fourteen years of faithfull service. With that my ability to write and create. My question is. Is there a free downloadable program that will allow me to use multiple languages, translation is not required, just the option of writing in English and Danish with spell check?

1) Yes . OneDrive is optional
2) Maybe , but why ?
3) I do not know of any free programs (there are language packs for Win 10 ?)

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 09:40 PM
link   
While you're at it, upgrade the RAM. Running Windows 10 on only 2GB of RAM sounds like a nightmare. No reason to torture yourself.

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Everything you do is in the cloud so why not have a virtual drive there? Just like your Windows operating system is just a virtual one since windows 7...

The actual windows is server side at Microsoft... the idea is since it is virtual you can't break it, and since it is illegal to decompile it in EULA it will recompile it on updates. Some will not even give you the option to uninstall which means going into the drive like in the old days with a prompt text and screen and removing that stuff via command line functions.

So your system is really just a snapshot and restore in and out of the cloud and the cloud drive business is a no matter what happens hey we already have your entire computer system and history in the cloud and can watch it like TV if we want at anytime so why not store crap there... as insurance.

That's the selling point anyway. Because arrrg computer always need technician and losing data...

It is what it is though... don't like it get Linux; but then that just means everyone with know how can do the exact same thing with your data instead of just one closed source entity.

On the brightside closed source has a tad bit more security against your everyday hacker... other than that no reason to really bother with closed source as html protocol typically keeps things safe, but easy to inject form/keyloggers and screenshot business into open source stuff already present on the system as one tool already present in most every system.

Unless you built it yourself from something like open suse? All of it is basically open and seen no matter what you do... I agree I think a lot of stuff hardwired in is bloatware...

My Windows 10 never fails at least 10 times a day the microphone record function pops up and open, lol I hope they like ambient noise... because just me and I do not talk to myself.

The internet is over rated anyway... if it wasn't for ATS and anime no need for me to even being connected, these days. Bank stuff is sketchy online... the bank will shut your account down in a second then bounce the crap out of you if someone even tries fraud and even though it's not your fault... still make you pay for it... so take it from me in personal experience; if you use paypal and going to do a large purchase say several or more items on a checkout? Transfer that amount to paypal in one transaction not the several... if one of them comes across as sketchy or someone tries to intercept the transaction? bank will halt all of them and bounce every single one against you making you pay a stupid amount in bounce fees whether you have the funds or not... hey it happened to me. Several 5 or 10 dollar items and a bounce fee they enacted against paypal of all those plus 25 to 35 from the bank in a bounce they caused? Adds up to stupid really quick.

Yeah it's TMI to the post but if something in it helps someone else avoid a headache... thats typically the basis of all my posts tbph.

Anyway... the "convenience" of computers has grown into just a novelty to me personally these days. Not illiterate with them; microcomputer systems and processing and also computer engineering to build them were my first two college degree fields. The usefulness as a tool has dwindled best to have one for online junk and one to never see an internet connection and SD/jump drive stuff from one to the other as needed so stuff doesn't get broken from hey we are so and so trying to break your crap to have a look... lol no announcing though they just do it.

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 11:51 PM
link   
As to removing options from windows 10, I use this quite useful guide. I no longer have cortana, but I'm not quite sure you can remove it in it's entirety as it is used for search components I think. getting rid of the meat is close.

I also have WIndows 10 on a fairly old toshiba satellite with 2gb ram... I use it mainly for things when I cant be at the main pc, but the keyboard undulates now, haha, damn thing takes a licking but keeps on ticking...

win10 link
edit on 12-2-2018 by badw0lf because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 12:40 AM
link   
a reply to: BEBOG

So your system is really just a snapshot and restore in and out of the cloud

Disconnect the network and see if your system boots....
Talk about misinformation.....

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 12:44 AM
link   
2gb of RAM ? Until an upgrade , research Window's Ready Boost.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 03:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

lol you may not be able to log onto your network but your computer can maybe not some models pre 2005 but there's cellphone style chips soldered right into the motherboard as standard board manufacture these days... the only security you have against that is bios security very few even know or bother with that... I've encountered heavy hitting business when locking system stuff up in bios as you can stop the board call out protocol.

Seriously go into your bios you'll know them if you know what to look for and if you dont this post wont make sense to you either.

Windows past 7 is based on Sun/microsystems VM ware or virtuabox business and how it operates.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 03:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: BEBOG

lol you may not be able to log onto your network but your computer can maybe not some models pre 2005 but there's cellphone style chips soldered right into the motherboard as standard board manufacture these days... the only security you have against that is bios security very few even know or bother with that... I've encountered heavy hitting business when locking system stuff up in bios as you can stop the board call out protocol.

Seriously go into your bios you'll know them if you know what to look for and if you dont this post wont make sense to you either.

Windows past 7 is based on Sun/microsystems VM ware or virtuabox business and how it operates.

There hasnt been BIOS in a system for many years now. (I think since 2007 ?) . It has been UEFI.
But , by all means tell me more . Especially the part on Windows being based on Solaris . I would like to hear that.
And the super secret cellphone chip that is integrated onto a system planar (BTW , calling a planar/systemboard a "motherboard" was determined non politically correct long ago . As well as daughterboard)
I think you may mean the IC chip that contains the PXE ROM that has been present on all Network (either copper or fibre) for a long long time now . But , I cannot be sure.

edit on 2/13/18 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 05:01 AM
link   

No bios you say?

My laptop from 2014 has a bios.

are you from 2099?

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 05:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

Also look into an expensive usb stick that windows will use with ready boost. it's a lot slower than actual ram, my lappy wont take more, it's just how it is, and readyboost tells me that my usb sticks are not capable.

Easy solutions by all and sundry...

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 05:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: badw0lf

No bios you say?

My laptop from 2014 has a bios.

are you from 2099?

You have UEFI but still have CMOS
Neither are BIOS
Look it up

Or what would I know other than how to turn on this box that has IBM PC Jr . on it and watch OS/2 Warp load ?

ETA : There are still a few systems manufactured with the ancient BIOS (?) .They had to have something to do with those left over EEPROM chips.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 05:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: badw0lf

originally posted by: Gothmog

Also look into an expensive usb stick that windows will use with ready boost. it's a lot slower than actual ram, my lappy wont take more, it's just how it is, and readyboost tells me that my usb sticks are not capable.

Easy solutions by all and sundry...

Windows uses any USB 2.0 (nearly)

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 01:59 PM
link   

well beyond what OP was even asking... I can smell the popcorn.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: BEBOG

well beyond what OP was even asking... I can smell the popcorn.

Me too....
Why I stopped.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Thanks Burd, I finely found the courage to down load Open Office and it works like a gem. Now I just need to add an additional language package with spell check and dictionary. But I am taking baby step.
It was easy and didn't flood my system.

Like you new AVI BTW.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 07:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: trollz
While you're at it, upgrade the RAM. Running Windows 10 on only 2GB of RAM sounds like a nightmare. No reason to torture yourself.

"Cough" Again pardon my ignorance.
I have 2 GB memory and 120 GB Hard drive.
There is 40% memory space available.
Every thing runs very fast, but I am wondering if a chip installed in my old computer to boost space could be used in this one?
Can I add space physically or should I down load it?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join