It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should we fix Gays/Transgenders in the womb (assuming we could)??

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 10:59 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

Ummm...why not just abort them...I mean...we already accept abortion for the sake of convenience...so by extension...abort the fetus for any old reason...

Don’t like red hair...abort

Don’t care for that epicanthic fold...abort

Got too drunk and forgot your protection...or simply decided not to use protection...abort

Too much melanin...abort

Not enough melanin...abort

Why bother to fix in the womb...when you can just flush that clump of cellular tissue...after all...it’s only a fetus...

Right...?

YouSir

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 11:01 PM
link   
sorry, just popping in....just read the title and yes....and the Irish...dang Irish..
what...no.......ok, Leave everybody alone ok....

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 11:12 PM
link   

that is supposed to go left

to cure it

fixing it

That's some pretty loaded language, man. It assumes that there's something wrong with them in the first place. If they're happy then it shouldn't matter, not that the pro-"fix" crowd actually cares about the happiness of the people they're trying to change.

Now if you decided to write this OP about finding and curing a biological defect that causes people to enjoy harming others, I would say yes to that. That would theoretically end murders, rapes, child & spousal abuse, wars, bigotry, oppression, robberies, etc. Those are the kinds of issues we need to be fixing. In fact, it's a bit astounding that you would suggest this medical procedure for LGBT people but not for pedophiles, since pedophiles are actually harmful to society.
edit on 12-2-2018 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 11:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

Now if you decided to write this OP about finding and curing a biological defect that causes people to enjoy harming others, I would say yes to that.

That wouldn't work.

What if someone tried to harm you or yours and you were one of the genetically "modified"?

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 11:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
Why force nature to meet your specs?

You could use that same argument for those unwilling to accept what "nature" gave them.

edit on 12/2/18 by Navieko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Why not just create modified retroviruses that would change the genetic expression of anyone infected.

You could create an entire class of slaves.

Modify entire nations. Continents.

Instead of bombing nations, just introduce the genetic-change cocktail into their drinking water and wait.

Why think so small in just changing the way targeted individuals think?

It's a big, brave new world!

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Who wants to find the gene(s) responsible for conservatism, progressive thought, Marxism?

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 12:15 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Like you pointed out, there would still be generations worth of people who aren't programmed to avoid harming others. That includes police, judges, prosecutors, and every other person who was born before my "solution" was created. So our current society would still exist as is, with the "people harming" traits being phased out in the newborns.

So in practice, everyone and every occupation that exists today would still be "normal". But the children born February 14th, 2018 and onward would have the "people harming" traits cured in them. Existing parents, siblings, uncles/aunts, etc would still be "normal" and thus wouldn't be hindered from defending their loved ones.

Fast forward 6 years and the world would still be mostly "normals", though the 6yr olds and younger would automatically reject harming other humans. All of their parents, siblings older than 6yrs old, uncles/aunts, etc would still be "normal" and thus wouldn't be hindered from defending their loved ones. Fast forward another 10 years, then another 10, etc and the "people harming" traits would keep getting phased out. But clearly, the world isn't run by 16 or 26 yr olds, so the vast majority of cops, lawmakers, judges, etc would still be normal.

The average lifespan globally is what 70yrs or so? That means that after a good 80 years or so of my program, the vast majority of the normal humans with the desire to harm others would be dead. 130 yrs after my program started and humans harming other humans would literally be a thing of the past.

ETA: Imagine if they implemented this program globally at the end of WW2. That was roughly 73 years ago, give or take some months, meaning that the vast majority of humans with the capacity for harming other humans would already be dead by now. All of the criminal gangs, paramilitaries, terrorist groups, cartels, etc that exist today wouldn't exist in this this alternate world. Every mass shooter, serial killer, mercenary, and suicide bomber in modern times would be walking a completely different & nonviolent path right now.
edit on 13-2-2018 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-2-2018 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 12:15 AM
link   
a reply to: kurthall

I think the major reason any gay person would say they wish they had been born straight, is how the society around them has treated them, and not due to their own sexuality.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Prenatal Dexamethasone for Congenital Adrenal HyperplasiaThis situation has already started.

Following extensive examination of published and unpublished materials, we provide a history of the use of dexamethasone in pregnant women at risk of carrying a female fetus affected by congenital adrenal hyperplasia (CAH). This intervention has been aimed at preventing development of ambiguous genitalia, the urogenital sinus, tomboyism, and lesbianism.

If you will note this paper was written in 2012. This situation has been going on for awhile.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 01:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: badw0lf
a reply to: kurthall

I think the major reason any gay person would say they wish they had been born straight, is how the society around them has treated them, and not due to their own sexuality.

i think we are very, very different people, and i often find myself disagreeing viscerally with the things you post, but you've hit it out of the park here. I've wished i'd been born "normal" so soso many times in my life, and it's always as a direct result of the way i'm treated for what i am. When i'm accepted - hell, even just not outright persecuted - i've been able to find as much happiness and fulfilment as any other person who has survived the things i've survived.

I imagine a world where we fix people who think that everyone needs to be fixed, a world where i didn't get beaten in the street all my teen years for being a little bit different, and i wonder just how much i could have thrived.
LGBT people don't need to be fixed.
The world around us does.

Further, i just want to mention that i have a relationship with my girlfriend so deep, so nurturing, and so right that i find it literally impossible to imagine a way i could have anything better if we were "cured".
That there are people in this world who can look at something so beautiful and pure and think only of taking it away to make us more like them.... it turns my stomach, it really does. And to do it with such a condescending tone, like it's in OUR interest? no thANK you. what is good for me is my WIFE. what is good for me is my beautiful GAY life. i'ma DYKE, man, and i am so proud of it.
Go fix yourself.

ETA; whoops, got a little bit emotional there. the thought of the love of my life being taken away to 'fix' me drove me to start drinking while i typed and that probably shows. i'm gonna go watch some GAY bands now, and revel in the QUEER place i live. i hope others continue to voice what an evil line of thought this thread espouses.
edit on 13-2-2018 by continuousThunder because: this cider is stronger than i thought it would be

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 01:21 AM
link   
I haven't known anyone who's said they hated being gay and wished they weren't. I do know one person growing up who wished they weren't gay because people treated him like s# because he was gay. Those people were society's garbage anyway, though, one gay dude made up for the lack of empathy & humanity MANY straight folks lacked. So there's THAT to consider when people say "but they said they wished they weren't gay!" Context is everything.

Focus on fixing the real messed up people in society -- the sociopaths & psychopaths that get off on making life miserable for everyone they encounter before we remotely touch on whether or not someone should be "allowed" to be gay. One genetic tweak is worth substantially more here than the other is.
edit on 2/13/2018 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Nope all parts of the human condition to get rid of them would hurt our humanity.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 04:24 AM
link   

You need to improve your reading skills. Nowhere did I say anything about abortions until the due date or made any mention of any time-frame. I was pointing out that it can either be a clump of cells or an anti-gay/transgender act but not both because clumps of cells have no sexuality.

p.s. I'd recommend against using the word assume in the future because it's just an easy opening for someone to pull the old "You know what they say about assuming" and call you an ___.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 04:29 AM
link   

where do you stop ?

will this " technology " be able to fix :

ginger people

left handed people

people that dislike marmite

where do you stop ????????????????????????

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Frankly, I refuse to engage with your premise.

Being homosexual is not a disease, and being transgendered is not a problem which needs "fixing". The disease, the problem, is a lack of tolerance and understanding of these concepts, amongst the terminally thick, backward dross in society. Its the backward, dogmatic, scripture spouting, hate appeasing scum in the world, who hide behind a man who spoke of love, while they spout venom from their mouths and oppression from their fists, who need fixing.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 05:50 AM
link   
I would much rather eliminate the trait that causes a person to crave authority.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 06:12 AM
link   
I am hitting quote to reply but nothing is appearing in the edit box?? O.o

i think we are very, very different people, and i often find myself disagreeing viscerally with the things you post, but you've hit it out of the park here. I've wished i'd been born "normal" so soso many times in my life, and it's always as a direct result of the way i'm treated for what i am. When i'm accepted - hell, even just not outright persecuted - i've been able to find as much happiness and fulfilment as any other person who has survived the things i've survived.

It is what keeps us learning, I think, to disagree. As long as we can, and remain open. I have.. had (closed my fb) a number of friends on there who were openly gay, or otherwise advocates. I supported them as much as I could, because I know they are people. Deserving of the same things we all strive for. While it's not even in the same game as the things I've had to endure, I am have will always be an outcast. So I know the way it is.. Society, in general, is an unforgiving monster.. My ex has or will this month, be the one to perform the marriage for her son and his boyfriend. I saw the proposal and it honestly, brought a tear to my eye, seeing these two young men, so in love. She even became ordained so it was her that performed the ceremony. All I see are two people, in love, openly showing it. And I don't think it is ever right to second guess who those two men would have been, had they been 'cured'...

Hurts my heart to know that people, without even knowing the people they discuss, can treat others so.. Love is not a limited thing, true love is something to embrace. and the world be damned if it disagrees.

I imagine a world where we fix people who think that everyone needs to be fixed, a world where i didn't get beaten in the street all my teen years for being a little bit different, and i wonder just how much i could have thrived.
LGBT people don't need to be fixed.
The world around us does.

I used to enter my city, years ago, and never see such things as I see now. Young people, male and female, openly walking hand in hand, holding each other. I'm sure they suffer the antiquated beliefs of the old ways from many that witness them, but it makes me smile. I don't get into the whats or whys. I know two people are open enough to share that. It's a shame how things used to be.

I'll admit for a long time, I didn't accept it. but then I grew up.

I do not judge.. all I see are people engaged in the same things everyone does.

I may be a twat when it comes to politics and so on, but that perhaps does me a disservice. echoes return for other topics.

I've tried with the life given to me, to be someone who has someone I can rely on. Yet now resigned to the fact, it was never meant to be. I could be a bitter old grey fart, instead I strive to still be compassionate. and your experiences tell me to continue. Bashed for being a little odd? I was too. so I put on this body armour of crap home job tattoos, scarred myself with sigils so as to never forget... but we are all still people. wanting the same things as anyone else...

Further, i just want to mention that i have a relationship with my girlfriend so deep, so nurturing, and so right that i find it literally impossible to imagine a way i could have anything better if we were "cured".
That there are people in this world who can look at something so beautiful and pure and think only of taking it away to make us more like them.... it turns my stomach, it really does. And to do it with such a condescending tone, like it's in OUR interest? no thANK you. what is good for me is my WIFE. what is good for me is my beautiful GAY life. i'ma DYKE, man, and i am so proud of it.
Go fix yourself.

!!!!! Exactly. It is not what is perceived to be broken, that shatters the reality of those who are most broken. And I still to this day, cannot understand why so many are opposed to things. Religion? Upbringing? I don't know. Anyone with a compassionate, rational and sane mind can see it isn't going to bring down the world. Yet even here in Australia, it still goes on. With high profile people putting their 2 cents in skewing the publics view of things.

Damn it, it annoys me, not just for this either, but everything that stand for. If they only had an opinion, it would be fine.. they they are in positions to change things... and either refuse to, or ignore things.

from the sounds of it, you and your partner are without doubt inseparable. Just know the world is not as it once was. bubbling pits of hate will always be around. navigate the better paths. and in time, the hate will recede to it's emptiness.

ETA; whoops, got a little bit emotional there. the thought of the love of my life being taken away to 'fix' me drove me to start drinking while i typed and that probably shows. i'm gonna go watch some GAY bands now, and revel in the QUEER place i live. i hope others continue to voice what an evil line of thought this thread espouses.

I've had the "what if" conundrum these past few years.. Was engaged twice. now they are both in happier places, and I'm a distant memory. what if....

(drinks you say? I'd rather have a bottle in front me of than a frontal lobotomy !! lol)

edit on 13-2-2018 by badw0lf because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 09:57 AM
link   
If the human population was in danger, I say yes. As there are many ways around that without resorting to sexual intercourse, it becomes a moot point.

Live and let live. No one is harming me by their self-identification or their attraction to the same sex.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 10:24 AM
link   

You are assuming there is something "wrong" with being gay...I am not sure I agree.

As for fixing TG people, as far as I understand it, the wrongness is their physical body, not their brain, so maybe if you could fix the body it would be ok. Not sure I think any other sort of "fix" is warranted.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join