It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Maryland Considers Surcharge on Mammoth SUVs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Maryland state lawmakers are considering a bill that would impose a $750 dollar a year surcharge on SUV's that weight over 6000 pounds. Included in this surcharge would be the popular Hummer H2, Cadillac Escalade ESV, Lincoln Navigator and the GMC Yukon XL.

news.yahoo.com
ANNAPOLIS, Md. - Driving a super-sized sport utility vehicle on Maryland roads would cost $750 more a year under a measure being considered by state lawmakers.

Delegate Bill Bronrott is promoting the registration renewal surcharge for owners of SUVs that weigh more than 6,000 pounds.

"This bill is ... about the largest, heaviest passenger vehicles that are the least fuel efficient and the most toxic to our air, land and water," the Democrat told a House committee hearing Tuesday.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is a bill sponsored by a Democrat that is simply trying to enact a back-door tax on people that can afford these vehicles. No hint as to what he wants the money to go for either. Alot of these big SUV are low emission vehicles and do not pollute as much as thier predecessors. At a recent anti SUV rally in Palo Alto, I counted at least 5 60's era Volkswagens, which by far are bigger polluters at any rate. While environmentalist target SUV's and the people that drive them they offer no long term or practical solutions to transit especially in the suburbs. The only think I would support is to lift the gas guzzler tax on trucks. Beyond that, leave them alone.

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I will bite and bump your points.

So what? Those Democrats will take the air you breath and call it a green house gas tax.

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Your right people that can afford these SUVs on the list can afford a extra $750 a year. So I doubt they will make a big stink about it even though they should. I think its stupid to make this law by the weight it should be by the emission or something. What if they come out with a new H3 that has a hybrid engine but weighs in at over 6000lbs will they have to pay the tax?

Its shady not saying where the money is going either. If they are making a law like this that money should go to some enviromental cause.

new topics

join