It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible 25 Cents A Gallon Gas Tax To Help Pay For Trump's Infastructure Plan?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

I don't think the platform would support such.
Unless you were selling parts of the roadway to the people.

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: howtonhawky

Value for value business model

Voluntary society

Euther you guys want roads or you dont no need for the government to force me to have roads at gun point

Ill glad purchase some road coin for nice roads if we actually get nice roads out of it

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: shawmanfromny
a reply to: Sillyolme

Well I remember people getting rid of their SUV's and 4WD trucks back in 2008, when gas was $4.00/gallon. Even I traded my 2002 Chevy Silverado 4WD for a smaller, 4 cyl. SUV. It was a problem back then and truck and SUV sales plummeted.

Trump kept his SUV. But he makes lots of money. The SUV sell off was only in the middle class.

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: howtonhawky

They have talk about an infrastructure bank where assets are sold/leased to entities who maintain/improve the asset while making money off the deal. Similar to Toll Road idea I think. It might be the best solution even though it sounds scary.

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Trump is on now talking his plan.

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: pavil

They have talk about an infrastructure bank where assets are sold/leased to entities who maintain/improve the asset while making money off the deal. Similar to Toll Road idea I think. It might be the best solution even though it sounds scary.

Sounds like it may have some legs then.
So the coin platform would really just be a way to track and store the sales/lease of infrastructure units and would come with responsibilities.

Me thinks that selling the USA is a bad idea.

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

Well, hell that will wipe out any sort of benefit, for the middle class and poor, the tax cut supposedly gave. So I would have to pay $3.50 more per tank because trump cant balance the budget, and he is doing what he said he would not, adding a CRAP LOAD to the deficit. Havent even bothred to check the stock market, that he BRAGGED about for a year, yet today.

Great Job trump! (Sarcastic)

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: pavil

Sounds like it may have some legs then.
So the coin platform would really just be a way to track and store the sales/lease of infrastructure units and would come with responsibilities.

Me thinks that selling the USA is a bad idea.

Not a great idea but it's thinking outside the box on how to fund such massive ventures. We have sold port operations to Foreign entities before, so it's not unprecedented.

Most toll roads I see are vastly better than standard roads. The concept is similar but not the same.

Again I'm open to any ideas that get us the amt of infrastructure improvements needed for the best value for our the citizens
edit on 12-2-2018 by pavil because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Would be a terrible idea for folks here in Pa. The state is already in a race with California to be tops in gas taxes. We don't make the incomes they do in California. Our roads aren't in terrible shape, like they were back in the 70's. Trouble is the pensions have the state in the red.

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pap1148
Would be a terrible idea for folks here in Pa. The state is already in a race with California to be tops in gas taxes. We don't make the incomes they do in California. Our roads aren't in terrible shape, like they were back in the 70's. Trouble is the pensions have the state in the red.

Every State is in similar problems. There isn't money available from them to pay for Infrastructure improvements. They would have to do Bonds for it. I doubt all States could raise the needed funds via Bonds.

That's why we have to explore other solutions to financing these Infrastructure improvements.

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: BeefNoMeat

They really need to get ethanol out of our gas to.

In some instances -- using Brazilian sugarcane as the feedstock does it -- ethanol is a cost-effective transport fuel, but in the U.S.A. it's the classic case of government 'picking winners' and everyone losing (there's very little evidence American ethanol producers can realistically compete without government subsidies, so even the 'winners' have a hard time winning).

I don't know the chemistry, but I was told that gasoline can be combusted more efficiently using ethanol as an additive, but I'm not entirely sure. Not a ton of 'that 5% blend is the bees' knees...10% blend you can pass on' anecdotes, but I have encountered your concern of having ethanol in gasoline. Many times.

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Federal gas tax. Bad idea. This is a state and local matter.

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: pavil

Every State is in similar problems.

That is not so.
www.forbes.com...

That same session also, with the approval of the state's voters, tapped the Rainy Day Fund for $2.25 billion to fund much-needed road improvement projects all over Texas.

they might all go to hell, and I would go to Texas.
David Crockett

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 03:42 PM
link   
lolololol
debt clock

by the time all this new spending hits i predict every tax payer will owe .25million each

lets blow this sucka out
poundsignmaga

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 03:51 PM
link   
If they would just plug up all the leaks in government spending, eliminate the ghost payroll, and stop the payoffs they would realize they have more money than they need already. Government runs to the taxpayer well with a bucket full of holes whenever they need money. Of course, by the time they reach their destination the bucket is nearly empty due to leakage. Instead of fixing the bucket they just make more trips to the well. And if that stops working they make more buckets using the original as a pattern. The stupidity has to end because this well does have a bottom and it will run dry sooner or later.

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
Sounds like a good time to invest in bicycles and hiking shoes.

State and local governments would turn this into their personal piggy bank. You will have to pay a toll just to drive to the grocery store.

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 04:46 PM
link   
If it goes towards the nations infrastructure and my way of contributing is buying Gas, sure, why not?

"Buy a Gallon, repair a Highway"

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Yeah, might as well add it in, on top of states plans.(/sarc) Such as in mine, the Governor is ramping up for carbon taxes, which will bring the gas prices up around 40. cents more for gas next year. The state, as others have in the past, partisan wise is also talking about driving tax because they say electric cars have caused state gas taxes to dwindle. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Driving tax is a whole other topic. Driving tax trials had shown that people do indeed cheat.

All this money better give alternative transportation funding, when the middle class and poor can no longer afford to drive.

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

I expect we will see a more nuanced fight ahead. The Dems have discussed raising the gas tax for years now to refill the Highway Trust Fund. The issue that has prevented them from moving forward with that increased federal tax is the fact that the Dems also are the reason the trust fund is depleted... They began tapping the fund for projects and project features which have NOTHING to do with the users purchasing gasoline to drive their cars on the road system. If Trump and the GOP wisely enter the discussion by first eliminating the Trust Fund from ever again being used to pay for light rail, pedestrian only, and alternate transportation projects, they will do themselves a huge favor (not to mention free up a tremendous amount of money to be used for it's initially stated purpose: roads and bridges for commercial and private motorized vehicle use.) If they keep it business as usual and increase the tax while simultaneously wasting the revenues generated on pie-in-the-sky BS projects like alternate energy, mass transit, and the like, then no... we won't support that tax increase at all.

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

For sure. No one can spend money like republicans. And deny and lie about it.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join