It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible 25 Cents A Gallon Gas Tax To Help Pay For Trump's Infastructure Plan?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Post a statistic they validates your rhetoric

What will the jobs shift to?

Post a link to the job exactly otherwise this is just popular right wing rhetoric

You right wingers have great rhetoric but man ask them to verify one of their assertions with actual data and ya get nowhere

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

Easy there killer. I'm not a right winger, just a guy with an opinion.

But to answer your question as best I can, I'll use another industry to try and parallel a similar situation.

So far, 80 people have received computer coding certificates from Mined Mines. The program has sparked a new initiative to open coding "boot camps" across the state. West Virginia plans to have six camps open by early next year.

"We're not a bunch of idiots out here. We're not a bunch of hillbillies and hill jacks," Buzzard said. "There are some very smart individuals here."

Buzzard's ultimate goal? Helping turn his home from coal country to code country.

cbs

There are many articles like this. The numbers aren't huge, but many miners are able to transition into coding as they're already conditioned for the type of work that takes focus over long repetitive tasks.

Technology's pandoras box is opened. There is no going back, and the market will continue to drive it in ways that will change the workplace environment.

Technology doesn't always eliminate jobs, but rather shifts them.
edit on 12-2-2018 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-2-2018 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
This is where I have serious issues.

If government spent our money wisely then there wouldn't be an issue, but they don't.

Agreed. The government receives more than enough in taxes already so much that they spend trillions on military projects that are sub-par. Or simply unaccounted for Over Six Trillion Dollars in Unaccountable Army Spending.

Enough is enough.

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

The irony of the current infrastructure condition is if both the Feds and the States had spent the current gas and diesel tax revenues on infrastructure it would be in fine shape.

The existing fuel taxes tend to get spent elsewhere.

All that's really needed is mandating gas and diesel taxes be spent on highways, etc and the infrastructure is financed.

edit on 12-2-2018 by nwtrucker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

All of our money is paying government pensions

Ebd the pensions

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Oh you must not he in the technology field anywhere outside of California, Austin, Boston and Denver.

The rest of tech is trying to move to those cities for jobs hence rental cost anywhere tech exist

Also there is no such thing as a coding boot camp. Either you are all in or your not when it comes to devops.

You need to be the best in order to compete and I mean the best.
edit on 12-2-2018 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 09:07 AM
link   

I have a question for you as well.

What makes you think that the truck force would go autonomous so abruptly?

The cost to transition will require a good deal of money upfront to get the systems and equipment. There also is liability, there has only been one cross country test, one I'm sure that didn't run into all variables.

I think we're talking about a very manageable shift over a few decades.

But back on topic, I think that those trucks may be electric. Should that be the case, and a cheap domestic source of clean energy is invested into.... The sales of the cheap energy could have built in pricing to help fund the infrastructure, while still at a discount for the user.

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 09:15 AM
link   
We do a need an infrastructure overhaul. I could support a gas tax, but the language of the bill would need to be written so that the money could not be raided by the politicians and used for other purposes. This is the problem with most of these taxes, they collect the money and never actually use it for what was intended.

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 09:17 AM
link   

If the industry is truly short drivers then thats whats going to cause it

Once they tealize that automated trucks dont need breaks its game over

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Most of these trucks last a million miles.

I'm sure they'll be utilized till the end of their cycle.

Add in the thousands still being produced that would likely go on sale with the fact many of these companies are owned by truckers.... I think the transition will be slow.

I still think in the end it will benefit the infrastructure should we switch to electric which is cheaper than petrol. It will be a source for new jobs to create the energy demand, creating a new sector for people to look at getting into.

Time will tell though.

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 09:32 AM
link   
in the seventies our prime minister added 25 cents( per liter) to the tax on petroleum , today holland has one of the highest gas prices in the world , i pay average 1.65 euro per liter.

The 25 cent tax addition still stands today.

But if the money is used on infrastructure it would not be that bad , weak infrastructure costs billions of dollars in economic damage.

edit on 12-2-2018 by TheGreazel because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-2-2018 by TheGreazel because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 09:36 AM
link   

In BC, Canada the gas is almost $1.50 per litre (ie. CDN $6 per gallon...or USD $4.74 per gallon). So right now US doesn't have it so bad.

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Meh, this seems fine, but I would like some extreme oversight to make sure those bridges are going somewhere. Thats a lotta dough

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 09:49 AM
link   

No one likes to pay for anything nowadays.

Where do people think this money for infrastructure will come from.

We have 3 choices:

Delay any major infrastructure plans.

Borrow the money for the Infrastructure

Or raise the money by means othet than borrowing it.

I think both Democrats and Republicans see the need for major infrastructure development and repair. It's now up to both to figure out a way to get it done. A trillion dollars invested into infrastructure will benefit everyone in the long term if done properly.

It cost money to do infrastructure, we just have to figure out the best way to get it done.

Perhaps rather than just a gas tax how about a transportation tax? Aircraft, trains, electric vehicles, ships ect?

You could even slap a small utility tax on petroleum, electricity, natural gas, solar, wind ect.

Big business should pay a goodly amt as well.

Infrastructure is in everyone's best interests, we all have to pony up.

edit on 12-2-2018 by pavil because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 09:50 AM
link   

The proposal, to be unveiled the same day as Mr. Trump’s 2019 budget, faces long odds on Capitol Hill, where members of both parties — particularly Democrats — are skeptical of any plan that fails to create a dedicated new funding stream to address the nation’s crumbling infrastructure. Lawmakers are also doubtful that such a small federal investment will be sufficient to spur an infrastructure spending boom.

I hope it fails.

Infrastructure are state and local issues.

Forcing people to pay a tax for something they will never use is the definition of taxation without representation.

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 09:54 AM
link   
We had better make it a 1$ per gallon tax hike cause we gotta pay for all that love the gov. just passed.
Who in the world would need spending caps anyhow.

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 09:56 AM
link   
This snip really gets to me.

The default response to any problem is TAX.

TAX,TAX,TAX,TAX.

Doesn't matter what it is.

TAX.

Issue infrastructure bonds.

Don't want to do that?

Create a crypto currency for it.

Road coin.

Bridge coin.

Internets coin.

For a bunch of progressive's.

BE PROGRESSIVE.

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Or get out of everyones money and let us use pur own resources to crowd fund alternatives

Lets cut the government out

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

How are you going to raise the funds needed to improve our infrastructure?

I'm open to all options. Doesn't have to be a tax.

Let's hear them that will get a Trillion dollars of investment into it?

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: pavil

Open source it

Put the money back into the hands of the people and release a roadcoin like trucker said.

If you want better infrastructure by road coin.

Then we can use the ledger to ensure the resource was used accountably

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join