It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Baby Boomer Bomb

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

Differant animal in PA. BUT glad to hear it. Their is a shortage of techs here thou, sure there are pretenders down here you can hire that burn houses down, or flood condo buildings but true techs are hard to come by, the elements are to hard for them.

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Bicent

I think it's mostly only white collar jobs on the chopping block right now

most Wal-Marts already have automated checkout many 100,000's of thousands of cashier jobs have already been replaced

those people all show an ability to acquire a better skill set and more than likely will be able to acquire another skill set and they will come for the jobs that actually still do exist

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 08:19 PM
link   

I've been working in the trades for years and I've lived all over the country and never experienced a shortage of tradesmen. The way I see is that's a myth.

I get weekly calls from guys who want work and we turn them away regularly.
edit on 11-2-2018 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 08:21 PM
link   

I dunno, I see fast food being effected major restaurants, I think retail will get more ai as well, truck drivers, ups, fedex Amazon, will start automating more, drones, ai delivery trucks etc. just in the next decade..

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 08:25 PM
link   

That is not the problem... it’s the elements..

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 08:26 PM
link   

that's nothing though, software engineers, doctors, network engineers, the list goes on and on just look at Google's investment portfolio if you want more ideas

also I would like to point out that this automation is going to push more people into the trades forcing us to accept lower bids like what's been happening already since 08.

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 08:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

I'm in the process of trying to hire my eventual replacement. Someone I can bring up, train, and eventually replace me.

Sad thing is, these younger folks can't seem to keep up with a fat old man.

Sounds like the "apprentice" positions may be coming back. Good deal, I hope it works out, it's a win-win. You'll find somebody, and at your young-ish age, you can afford to be picky.

p.s. I bet the only person who thinks you're a fat old man is you.

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 08:30 PM
link   

You do realize a lot of the conversation in the video is about social security and pensions right?

I'm just saying if you actually ever want to be on topic instead of making assumptions.

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 08:41 PM
link   

I am not to worried about it. Their will always be cheap people out there you just have to build the value more for those that are not, but I dunno if your face to face giving bids or just faxing them over stuck in bidding wars etc. anyhow there is nothing we can do about it, just try to hang in there.

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 08:42 PM
link   

I mean we do ok, we stay busier then most small contractors in town. We also specialize in custom wood installations and refinishing hardwood.

I can see what's happening around me. 6 shootings this weekend.

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 08:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bicent

I dunno, I see fast food being effected major restaurants, I think retail will get more ai as well, truck drivers, ups, fedex Amazon, will start automating more, drones, ai delivery trucks etc. just in the next decade..

One thing for sure, the more money you have the more services you want, and that won't change. You want people to take care of things for you. Your house, property, car, pets, hair, food, cloths, shopping, etc.

Oh, and 20 years from now you won't be going into hot attics. You'll be teaching and supervising those who do.
Bank on it.

Bye guys, I've want to go be attentive to that Patty Hurst thing on tv.
Have a nice evening.

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 08:46 PM
link   
The speaker was really delivering a well thought out insight what should be being done to help out the American citizen.
He left out one important political factor and that is: The Americans should be/must have what the politicians in DC have (same benefits) heck even Veterans don't have such benefits after serving 4 years in the military.
very good speech though

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 08:46 PM
link   

like I said... a lot of the video has to do with social security and pension funds getting ready to go belly up

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 08:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

You do realize a lot of the conversation in the video is about social security and pensions right?

I'm just saying if you actually ever want to be on topic instead of making assumptions.

Okay, I consider that I've been duly scolded. Maybe tomorrow or later tonight.

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

that's actually something that really bothers me

the worst part is many of them are double dipping government pensions as well and taking in lieu of benefits packages worth tens of thousands while crying over the budget

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

like I said... a lot of the video has to do with social security and pension funds getting ready to go belly up

Which has been predicted since the 70's.

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 08:49 PM
link   

welp, when totally ignore all of the content go totally off topic and throw personal insults around sometimes it just doesn't end up making you look good

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Which has to do with the trillions of dollars we have in debt. No one has to warn me this country is in bad shape, and economically we can wake up tomorrow with a currency that is no good anymore. Just wait until they get the guts to announce to us when that is about to happen. Doubt they will thou either we will start a war and try to take what we owe, or just watch it all crash..

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 08:55 PM
link   

they are starting to look at crypto currency as a legitimate alternative and they will use the block chain to enforce strict laws and controls over how it is spent

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 08:55 PM
link   

they are starting to look at crypto currency as a legitimate alternative and they will use the block chain to enforce strict laws and controls over how it is spent

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join