It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Baby Boomer Bomb

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: pteridine

I think it's going to be funny when someone actually does watch and or listen to the video and then they read the responses and have no idea what you are even talking about.

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 07:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bicent
Meh the baby boomer generation leaving the work force is the least of our economical problem. It astonishes me truly does that people focus, on every other thing other than the 20 trillion dollar debt this country has, not to mention it looks like we are gonna default on it. That is when we crumble. We have to deal with that debt. My guess is we will end up going into a war to try to fix it, but ahem that is the real bomb ticking in our economy at the moment...

Nah they will never default on the debt because most of it is held by pension funds, banks and investment groups. But what they can do is nationalize the fed and print state currency interest free.

Then, they'll destroy the value of the dollar over about 10 years and after that they'll have to go back to an asset backed dollar, probably some form of asset backed crypto gold or silver or maybe both.

However, several states have passed laws making gold and silver legal tender in anticipation of a collapse in the dollar so it's possible we go back to several competing currencies like we had in the late 1800s.

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

The lazy whiners are going to have to reinvigorate innovation. The traditional job markets are crumbling beneath our feet. Ill be retired before im obsolete. My kids wont be.

To "make it" is going to take filling the new voids with innovative products and ideas. Innovation, large bolts of lightning, is the only way to get a foothold against the big boys in the market.

You cant blame my parents generation. Or mine. All we did was innovate a new world. Itll be up to you guys to tame this new world and make it meaningful.
edit on 2/11/2018 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: SkeptiSchism

Ya I edited it. Thanks for the reply thou, I forgot to add nightmare inflation.

I honestly think thou the milenials will end up in the draft, nothing personal but our education system and culture produced this generation and honestly in the end of the debate, it’s our fault...

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Meh the baby boomer generation leaving the work force is the least of our economical problem. It astonishes me truly does that people focus, on every other thing other than the 20 trillion dollar debt this country has, not to mention it looks like we are gonna default on it or print so much money serious inflation will occur. That is when we crumble. We have to deal with that debt. My guess is we will end up going into a war to try to fix it, but ahem that is the real bomb ticking in our economy at the moment...

Wow, a true conservative. Hello stranger.

True story - a LARGE business in my city made a deal with employees who had been there for over 20 years. "I'll give you $120,000 now, if you turn in your resignations and leave".

But guess what? A year later he called then on the phone and said "I'll give you $125,000, to come back to work." *

Because everybody who knew anything left, and the place was a crazy house! (I just thought that was funny. It's good we can learn from each other's mistakes.)

*They did have to sign a contract saying they would stay for at least five more years.
edit on 2/11/2018 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
a reply to: pteridine

I think it's going to be funny when someone actually does watch and or listen to the video and then they read the responses and have no idea what you are even talking about.

I think you are dreaming if you expect anyone to watch 1 hour and 12 minutes of Robert Reich talking for your thread. The way you can get responses to your original post and not to follow-on comments, is to summarize the enlightening video or link to a text version. Videos take 20 minutes of information and cram it into an hour or so.

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
Not a big fan of this guy be he's dead on in this speech.

informed and responsible manner. In addition, he will discuss the older population's formidable political leverage - how as individuals and as a collective entity, their "clout" can be used wisely and in a manner benefitting future generations.
Pretty good breakdown of the economy.

But hey, you guys really need those pensions and social security. Think you are going to sell your house and relax in retirement? Wonder who's going to buy that house...

Intelligent guy with a common sense atitude, he plainly knows his job, Government, but human with it.
He knows throwing money at something does not guarantee success. He knows that there is nothing worse than negative equity in anything, especially when there are millions of people, here and now, in just that position, and not really their fault, and he makes a damn good case of collective responsibility when it comes to medical aid being in the hands of money men, when it should be something that brings all people together if nothing else. Everybody is vulnerable, no matter what the braggarts say.
It's not a speech though, he is teaching people...and like it or not, there are many people who need to be taught.
edit on 11-2-2018 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

Being skilled is valuable indeed. Sounds like that business owner was not that smart. Good news is when the system crashes those with skills can still survive ai will be replacing non skilled labor more and more by 2020 you will start to notice it more. Yet the debt. Is the real problem, regardless of the what ifs and crystal balls in predicting the future of our workforce. My generation x, had to adapt with 401k instead of pension no more working at the car plant after 20 years get a watch and pension etc. we truly had to learn a trade, craft, degree etc. ingenuity is important in survival. Not to mention consistency... also melinials are still young, they may be late bloomers, due to technology if we survive, they will be able to work longer and stay healthy longer, if we can fix our health care system.. yet we still have that big ass debt.... anyhow a little off topic.

edit on 11-2-2018 by Bicent because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 07:59 PM
link   

I'm in the process of trying to hire my eventual replacement. Someone I can bring up, train, and eventually replace me.

Sad thing is, these younger folks can't seem to keep up with a fat old man.

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I've seen some interesting statistics on overall growth patterns, basically the job replacement rates have been declining in developed nations since at least the turn of the century. That is there are less new job entrants than people entering retirement.

The entire system of pensions or social security was set up from the beginning assuming there would always be more new job entrants than people retiring, for instance when they started social security there were 8 full time workers for every person collecting social security retirement benefits. But over time that ratio has dropped so now there are about 2.7 full time jobs for every person withdrawing benefits, and people are living longer.

This website has a lot of interesting statistics you won't see anywhere else, he basically shows the demographic changes that have been happening for the past 2 decades as birth replacement and job replacement rates have dropped in developed nation. Even china now has negative birth replacement rates. The only nations experiencing true growth are India and African nations and neither one has sufficient infrastructure and industry to maintain the rest of the world's growing retired demographic

econimica.blogspot.com...

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Being skilled is valuable indeed. Sounds like that business owner was not that smart. Good news is when the system crashes those with skills can still survive ai will be replacing non skilled labor more and more by 2020 you will start to notice it more. Yet the debt. Is the real problem, regardless of the what ifs and crystal balls in predicting the future of our workforce. My generation x, had to adapt with 401k instead of pension no more working at the car plant after 20 years get a watch and pension etc. we truly had to learn a trade, craft, degree etc. ingenuity is important in survival. Not to mention consistency... also melinials are still young, they may be late bloomers, due to technology if we survive, they will be able to work longer and stay healthy longer, if we can fix our health care system.. yet we still have that big ass debt.... anyhow a little off topic.

Very sensible, Bicent.

I heard a talking head on the news this morning, (a Republican) say "Everybody is benefiting from the rise in the stock market even if it's just a 401-K". It struck me as condescending. Does it you? I'm so happy that people's 401-K's are finally climbing, I really am. But the way he said it.... Almost to dismiss it as unimportant. I didn't like it so much. Is it just me, or does it strike you that way?

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Ya I can understand that, allot of you people want to do what I do, until they have to go up into that 130F ATTIC, or Work 15-18 hours a day and be on call one week a month.. not to mention have the technical mind with it. They normally quit within the 90 day probationary period. It sucks actually makes my job harder.. Not enough techs in my trade.

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

The lazy whiners are going to have to reinvigorate innovation. The traditional job markets are crumbling beneath our feet. Ill be retired before im obsolete. My kids wont be.

To "make it" is going to take filling the new voids with innovative products and ideas. Innovation, large bolts of lightning, is the only way to get a foothold against the big boys in the market.

You cant blame my parents generation. Or mine. All we did was innovate a new world. Itll be up to you guys to tame this new world and make it meaningful.

I actually agree with your entire post. The only reason anyone thinks that this video is about blaming anyone are the ones who didn't watch it.

That's why I left the last remark I did. I do agree with you though.

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 08:08 PM
link   

a reply to: DBCowboy

Ya I can understand that, allot of you people want to do what I do, until they have to go up into that 130F ATTIC, or Work 15-18 hours a day and be on call one week a month.. not to mention have the technical mind with it. They normally quit within the 90 day probationary period. It sucks actually makes my job harder.. Not enough techs in my trade.

Tons of HVAC people where I live. The whole not enough people in the trades myth doesn't exist here, we have the opposite problem in Pennsylvania. We were raised old school here.

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 08:10 PM
link   

From that website:

If we just isolate the annual change in the 0 to 55 year global population (minus Africa...explained HERE), we see annual population growth has decelerated by 77% or we are adding 49 million fewer 0 to 55yr/olds annually than we did during peak growth in 1988. Within a decade, the world under 55yr/old population (excluding Africa) will cease growing and begin an unknown period of depopulation. In fact, the forward estimates are based on the UN's more "optimistic" medium variant...the reality will almost certainly be lower. Meanwhile, annual global GDP growth in dollar terms has been wildly gyrating from record growth to unprecedented record declines (chart below)

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Bicent

not sure why you think AI is replacing non skilled labor.

It's replacing neurosurgeons and Wall Street investors.

www.cnbc.com...

Matter of fact, white collar jobs are the first to go. I actually know a trade that's not getting replaced for a long time but hey that's me, I'm just a carpenter and full time college student in a technology program what do I know right?

link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

What the World needs are The 3% Exterminators. Put some balance back into the lives of billions. The billions the 3% screwed from behind for the last what 500 years?
edit on 11-2-2018 by brokenghost because: (no reason given)

link   

401k is better than nothing. When we retire we take that money and use it to make us money when we can’t work anymore, I dunno the thing with 401k is if your employer helps you invest in it. I don’t like 401k because it’s us putting money in the market, and a scape goat for employer to say they offer retirement. As far as talking heads on tv they will always have that elitist attitude towards us. I am not very hopeful when I retire 20-30 years from now it will be what we see it to be now.

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 08:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: SkeptiSchism

From that website:

If we just isolate the annual change in the 0 to 55 year global population (minus Africa...explained HERE), we see annual population growth has decelerated by 77% or we are adding 49 million fewer 0 to 55yr/olds annually than we did during peak growth in 1988. Within a decade, the world under 55yr/old population (excluding Africa) will cease growing and begin an unknown period of depopulation. In fact, the forward estimates are based on the UN's more "optimistic" medium variant...the reality will almost certainly be lower. Meanwhile, annual global GDP growth in dollar terms has been wildly gyrating from record growth to unprecedented record declines (chart below)

This is one of the major problems addressed in the video.

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 08:14 PM
link   

The ai. Will still need to be operated. Ai will not replace lawyers, carpenters, plumbers, doctor, maybe surgeons etc. lol but it is coming sooner I think then allot of people think. I suppose some white collar jobs will get replaced but true trades we still have time.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join