It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High school science fair project questioning African American intelligence sparks outrage

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Coming out in a interview and using the N word is not trying to perform a balancing act. He set the racial relations back to the 1960's.

And where does he live where some ass hat is using the "n" word in public?

Hate to break it to him, if you hear that in public it more than likely is coming from the youth who listen to RAP that sensationalizes it. Like the "artists" he invited to the white house.

Tru dat, N----a

His own granny was a "typical white woman"

edit on 2 11 2018 by burgerbuddy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: burgerbuddy

Huge huge pass was written to Obama for that. Imagine if Trump had a black relative that he said was a typical black man that crosses the street......
The double standard given to different color people is sickening and we will not have honest conversations til it stops. But it is a tool of division, so here we are.

"typical white woman"

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 08:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: redhorse

a reply to: schuyler

The fair project just asked the question and wondered if there should be more study.

No.

The project’s final conclusion reportedly found that “the lower average IQs of blacks, Southeast Asians, and nonwhite Hispanics means that they are not as likely as non-Hispanic whites and Northeast Asians to be accepted into a more academically rigorous program such as HISP,” the report said. “Therefore the racial disproportionality of HISP is justified.”

Link

This student did not just speculate and ask for more study. He or she came to the conclusion that Blacks, Southeast Asians and non white Hispanics have lower IQs (and used poor, outdated and frankly spurious sources to "validate" such claims), and so the racial disparity in school attendance was reflective of those supposed lower IQ's.

His source material included a book from 1904 for goodness sakes. Don't paint this as some student asking a thoughtful yet somewhat un-PC question. This kid already had an answer in mind and scrambled for whatever "support" that they could find, even if it was over a hundred years old and rooted in Imperialist perspectives. It's just absurd.

It's been already documented, after 1904.

That old "nature or nurture thang" Turns out to be nature.

Seems like women end up 3-8 pts behind men in the end.

That must be why there ain't that many nobels given out to them.

Unless u r a NoKo Princess.

It's a fascinating field of study.

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Huge huge pass was written to Obama for that. Imagine if Trump had a black relative that he said was a typical black man that crosses the street......
The double standard given to different color people is sickening and we will not have honest conversations til it stops. But it is a tool of division, so here we are.

"typical white woman"

Oh and the Nobel?!

Seriously?!!!

Trump can't even drop black unemployment to an all time low and get a single kudos from their champions.

The old, "he who smelt it, dealt it" is TRUE!

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 08:15 PM
link   

You my friend are on fire tonight-

I feel bad that the divisive crap works much like throwing the ball for the dog but keeping the ball in my hand. Dog falls for it everytime. The reason this is used is to keep every color at each others throats, easier to control when we all don't demand the same thing.

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 10:44 PM
link   
What's the big deal if somebody claims IQ differs among the races? Just because some races are smarter than others doesn't mean less intelligent races deserve to be treated negatively as a result. Why can't studies dealing with this topic just be honest instead of trying to push the "we are all the same" narrative?

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 10:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Incandescent

Ummm

You realize that the idea of capitalism is to reward people for the efforts. Let that sink in for a moment.

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Well... it seem that either white people are smarter, or the only ones who try to do well in tests. Both options are obviously racist because feelings.

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 11:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Reminds of Steven Pinker, a jewish liberal professor at Harvard University, who talked about true statements which are never voiced in college campuses or the mainstream media and was summarily labeled as being "alt-right".

edit on 11-2-2018 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 02:39 AM
link   
i remember many years ago when a Canadian university did a study that made a case for some races (i believe in that study Asians came out on top), were smarter than other races. and even back then before Obama and the democrats throwing racial relations back a few generations, it caused a huge uproar.

you know what is interesting. all the screaming and calling of racism on such studies. while at the same time using racism, which actually validates such studies in higher education enrollment. like a black person gets extra points to put them ahead of others of different races to be accepted, while Asians loose points and that puts them much farther back to be accepted. with other races gaining or loosing points, all based on their race. supposedly in order to diversify the schools. and it is not just in higher education such things happen. even in grade school and high school in at least some areas like in at least parts of Michigan, where the grade a student gets on anything is just as dependant on what race they are. a black student might get an "A" on a project that if it was done by a white person might get a "C".

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 05:51 AM
link   
I'm white, and there people that are *way* smarter than me.

I've come to accept my place in the cosmos. It's not that hard...

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

What a dumb ignorant project.
Race has nothing to do with intelligence or a dated method of measuring intelligence such as an IQ test.
How about the region's those people live in and density of access to education.

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 09:17 AM
link   
It should not be about race, it should be about individuals. There are idiots and exceptional ones as well in every race but to say that that one races intelligence is lower than another is just idiotic.

When the curriculum in North America was first created, it was made for one specific group but times have changed and society no longer thinks that one specific group is only one that matters. The curriculum needs to a make over and needs to adapt with the times.

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Problem with all of this is, that as far as I know, there isn't any method of objectively and accurately measuring IQ across all economic levels of a society.

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: burgerbuddy

originally posted by: redhorse

The fair project just asked the question and wondered if there should be more study.

No.

The project’s final conclusion reportedly found that “the lower average IQs of blacks, Southeast Asians, and nonwhite Hispanics means that they are not as likely as non-Hispanic whites and Northeast Asians to be accepted into a more academically rigorous program such as HISP,” the report said. “Therefore the racial disproportionality of HISP is justified.”

Link

This student did not just speculate and ask for more study. He or she came to the conclusion that Blacks, Southeast Asians and non white Hispanics have lower IQs (and used poor, outdated and frankly spurious sources to "validate" such claims), and so the racial disparity in school attendance was reflective of those supposed lower IQ's.

His source material included a book from 1904 for goodness sakes. Don't paint this as some student asking a thoughtful yet somewhat un-PC question. This kid already had an answer in mind and scrambled for whatever "support" that they could find, even if it was over a hundred years old and rooted in Imperialist perspectives. It's just absurd.

It's been already documented, after 1904.

That old "nature or nurture thang" Turns out to be nature.

Seems like women end up 3-8 pts behind men in the end.

Nope (again).

Analyzing those 5 datasets and throwing away all of the older studies from the prior generation (prior to 1982), he compared men and women on the Raven's Progressive Matrices test, a test of abstract, logical reasoning. Setting the male score at 100, Flynn found that women scored the lowest in Australia (99.5), but in the other 4 nations Raven's scores varied from 100.5 to 101.5.

Link

Environment plays a factor, and a significant one. To spell it out, these gains for women are probably due to greater access to education for women over the last few decades, rather than being indicative of innately greater or growing intelligence; in short, an environmental factor. The Flynn effect is one way that at least addresses those potential environmental factors, although how much and exactly how those environmental factors play into how well someone tests is highly debatable.

The only race (arguably called a race I suppose) that shows any consistent and statistically significant innate greater intelligence are Ashkenazi Jews.

Ashkenazim generally do well in IQ tests, scoring 12-15 points above the mean value of 100, and have contributed disproportionately to the intellectual and cultural life of the West,

Link

But I'm sure such an assertion sits uneasily in the respective world views of those of you trying to back this kid up in both his "spirit of inquiry" and his conclusions (such as they are).

It's a fascinating field of study.

Yes, I suppose that it is. Especially, if you can actually study.

So half of you are going "Ah he's just a kid, we can't hold him to basic standards of inquiry". And the other half are going "All the evidence (and by All The Evidence, you mean before 1985) says that the smartest ones in the room are white males. So there!" And that's pretty much it.

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK
I do wonder about standard IQ tests I have to say.

Is anyone in the public backlash discussing this? This would be the logical response, a discussion about whether standardized tests are really an accurate measure of intelligence.

Or is the backlash mostly emotional drivel and fake "racism" claims?

originally posted by: generik
you know what is interesting. all the screaming and calling of racism on such studies. while at the same time using racism, which actually validates such studies in higher education enrollment. like a black person gets extra points to put them ahead of others of different races to be accepted, while Asians loose points and that puts them much farther back to be accepted.

This. This is real racism. But we rarely hear Asians complaining about this, rioting and burning down their own neighborhoods over this actual injustice. They just work harder and succeed anyway. They've been the victims of much more recent systemic oppression, such as this with the schools or being forced into internment camps during WW2. They don't use it as an excuse to not achieve anything.

originally posted by: strongfp

What a dumb ignorant project.
Race has nothing to do with intelligence or a dated method of measuring intelligence such as an IQ test.
How about the region's those people live in and density of access to education.

The project was mostly about how the differences in performance on standardized tests affect the chances of the different races of being accepted to institutions of higher education. It's perfectly legitimate to disagree with some schools factoring in standardized test scores. However, as long as they do use such standards, it's silly to call a project studying the effects of using that standard "dumb ignorant". It's as legitimate a point to make as yours, since some schools do indeed use those standards and the differences in performance obviously affect your chances. You're having an emotional reaction to something that's purely about data.

originally posted by: donnydeevil
It should not be about race, it should be about individuals.

Quite true, which is why all forms of affirmative action should be abolished.

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I think the data should be studied, not to denigrate particular races but to get to the issues that drive the differences. Why on average are women less intelligent than men? Why are blacks on average less intelligent than whites and in turn whites less intelligent than Asians?

I suspect the answers lie in culture and socio-economics, but it is a fascinating field of study. The insights from this work could do a lot more for equality of opportunity than the constant race baiting and division driven by politicians and the media.

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth
I think the data should be studied, not to denigrate particular races but to get to the issues that drive the differences. Why on average are women less intelligent than men? Why are blacks on average less intelligent than whites and in turn whites less intelligent than Asians?

I suspect the answers lie in culture and socio-economics, but it is a fascinating field of study. The insights from this work could do a lot more for equality of opportunity than the constant race baiting and division driven by politicians and the media.

Are women still statistically considered less intelligent? Legit question. Last I heard, at least in the US, women are getting more college degrees. Of course, simply by anecdotal experience, we all know getting a degree doesn't mean someone is intelligent. Not in the US at least.

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 10:02 AM
link   
If we ever get to the point of accepting this as a fact, then the next step would be to understand the IQ gap...Nature or Nurture. I suspect its nurture, in which case, this can be changed...but what is the difference between say, thailand vs japan. canada vs chili, germany vs congo.

I think its a developmental signal that is introduced very young in life. Perhaps between the ages of 0-7 that might stunt growth.
No doubt the east asians (especially places like Japan, Hong Kong, etc) are the smartest on earth..and their early development lifestyle is a flurry of education and challenges for the kids while feeling protected and safe...As I think about it, Safety itself might be the key factor here. A perfectly contained safe bubble would develop higher learning instead of raw instinctual development for survival. If you consider the races involved, and rather, the politics behind it, its a difference between relatively crime free areas vs crime ridden insanity...

Could be a interesting study....now, what about the average black vs white dude here in the US...well, same difference really, a gated community offers far more protective feelings and comfort verses the hood.

Anyhow, just speculation on a correlation. Like I said, we are stuck on step 1 of this process.

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

originally posted by: UKTruth

Are women still statistically considered less intelligent? Legit question. Last I heard, at least in the US, women are getting more college degrees. Of course, simply by anecdotal experience, we all know getting a degree doesn't mean someone is intelligent. Not in the US at least.

There are many studies to draw from that conclude that men are more intelligent than women - on average. Though, many other studies find little statistical difference.

I rather suspect that if a man, woman and different races were exposed to exactly the same factors from birth, there would be no difference.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join