It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Have An Insurance Claim You Might Find Interesting

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 07:20 PM
link   
A bit of a back story/information is in order else I would leave too many questions unanswered.

I bought a Dodge Magnum from a good friend, we’ll just call him Poop-Pants...just kidding. How about we call him Old Dude. Anyways Old Dude had at the time two Magnums, a white one and a red one. I love magnums and I was really digging the red one so one day I mentioned to him that he really didn’t need two Magnums and that I would gladly take the red one off his hands. Yes the SRT8 425hp. Yes, Tor red. Yes, only 53 made. Yes, only 26k miles. Yes...

Anyways a few weeks later Old Dude came over and lo and behold the red Magnum was for sale and I got dibs. We made a deal on the Magnum. We agreed on a payment plan and Old Dude put the title in my name so I could get my own tags-n-stuff. However he kept his name on the title as a lean holder thingy. We also kept a running tab on my payments (yup Old Dude let me do payments) where he and I would sign every time I made a payment along with the running balance. Old Dude kept the title and payment log.

Old Dude commenced to looking for another Magnum and found a beautiful blue one around a month before I crashed the red one on Jan 2 this year. And when he bought that Blue one he accidentally added my red on his insurance (American Family).

I wrecked my car Jan 2 this year. Totaled it, full coverage plus rental. My insurance company (Progressive) towed the car off and set me up with my rental.

A few days later Progressive called me with some bad news. Devastating news actually. They said that they weren’t going to cover my car because according to them I had given them the wrong VIN number. They then revoked my rental car. I let them know that although it had been approximately five months since I made the phone call to obtain insurance... “I remember where I was, who I was with and what I was doing very clearly that day. I read the VIN number directly off the car to the agent while the phone call took place. There was no way I gave you the wrong VIN number.” Note: The VIN number that I supposedly gave them was from the white Magnum.

She said in so many words...”well I talked to Old Dude and he said he has your red Magnum on his insurance so his insurance company will cover it.” Old Dude had already informed me of this but I knew I had given Progressive the right VIN number and I felt they either screwed up big time or they were attempting to deceive me.

“I know you have to legally keep a recording of our conversation that took place, I’d like to hear that recording.” I said. She said she would obtain that recording, listen to it and get back with me with her decision.

This whole thing is still ongoing so days and weeks pass as these conversations take place.

She finally gets back with me and says that the recording has me giving them the wrong VIN number. I was incredulous. I asked her if I could listen to the recording and she said that it was an encrypted file and that she didn’t know how she could send it to me. I told her that I would drive to her office (45 minutes away) and she could play the recording for me just as she did for herself. She then responded that she would have to speak to her superiors in order to obtain permission to let me listen to the recording. She immediately put me on hold for approximately five minutes. I then told her not to worry, I would just go through Old Dudes insurance. This was already taking too long and I just wanted to get it covered and over.

Okay so Old Dude and I have been in touch with his insurance company this whole time and they said they were going to pick up the ball on the claim. I put my insurance company and his in touch.

Well, one day Progressive lady called and informed me that American Family wasn’t going to cover the car because it was sold to me and that they cover Old Dude and Not me or some crap. Progressive lady said that however they were going to go ahead and change their mind and cover my car.

Now progressive is waiting on American Family to send them a copy of my denial letter so that they can go forward with the claim.

I still have yet to hear the recording and Progressive lady hasn’t mentioned it since.

What the hell is going on here?

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Insurance companies are notorious scam artists from start to finish.

They will do anything to not pay.

That's how insurance company execs pay for their 14k gold bathroom fixtures.

Insurance companies are little more than robber barons that operate with little or no oversight.

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Alien Abduct

One word.

Lawyer.

You don't know what you are doing.

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 07:33 PM
link   

So strange...I want to say you gave them the right VIN, but they somehow had the VIN from the white vehicle? How on earth would they have that if you didn't give it to them?

Still, "in case of an accident, car insurance follows the car — not the driver," is the rule...so why would they agree to cover the claim if the correct car was not covered?

Puzzling.

Glad someone is covering it though!

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 07:55 PM
link   
How would you have gotten the wrong VIN number in the first place?

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Lawyer up .... Now !

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Meldionne1
Lawyer up .... Now !

A few $100's and the insurance co will do the right thing.

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I always have them read back the VIN and check if everything is right when the proof comes in the mail. I knew someone who had a messed up VIN on their insurance and had a hell of a wait when they had an accident. They did get their check but it was weeks before it was approved and another week or two before their check came in.

I go to an agent and put cars on my insurance in person. I don't deal with the online crap, I hope I never have to start talking to someone online. I have been insured with this agency for over thirty years now, they take care of me with claims. I have decent rates, I do not pay the one year lowball transfer discount followed by higher rates.

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 08:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

One word.

Lawyer.

You don't know what you are doing.

You’re saying the same thing my gut was telling me but I was holding out.

I did finally call a lawyer like a week ago and he was basically like “well progressive said they are going to pay so what do you want me to do?” A bit discouraging. I guess I should call a few more.

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 08:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

So strange...I want to say you gave them the right VIN, but they somehow had the VIN from the white vehicle? How on earth would they have that if you didn't give it to them?

Still, "in case of an accident, car insurance follows the car — not the driver," is the rule...so why would they agree to cover the claim if the correct car was not covered?

Puzzling.

Glad someone is covering it though!
Exactly! That’s what I think too. I would love to hear that recording but I’m afraid if I push too much they might decide to not cover the car.

About the VIN, the other insurer guy said that Progressive possibly had a list of Old Dude’s cars and VIN’s in front of them when I gave them the info for the insurance. My red Magnum was still in Old Dude’s name at the time I insured it.

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 08:55 PM
link   

How long total has it been?

How much $$$ are you shelling out to rent a car?

Maybe get the info (paperwork) from Progressive and do a consult with an attorney? This is stuff the insurance companies handle everyday. Sounds like someone is dragging their heels.

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 09:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman
How would you have gotten the wrong VIN number in the first place?

Couldn’t have. Seems impossible to me. I would love to hear that recording. And the fact that they didn’t let me listen to the recording and the fact that they decided to suddenly change their mind and cover the car when the other insurer decided they wouldn’t cover it raises red flags for me. I don’t want to call the progressive adjuster a liar (she literally assured me that she is an honest person) but I would sure love to hear that recording.

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 09:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

How long total has it been?

How much $$$ are you shelling out to rent a car?

Maybe get the info (paperwork) from Progressive and do a consult with an attorney? This is stuff the insurance companies handle everyday. Sounds like someone is dragging their heels.

I arranged something with a friend to use their car for an agreed amount and explained this to Progressive but she said that it wouldn’t be covered because they don’t do that.

I asked the attorney about that angle but they said it would cost $600 upfront for them to even take a peak at it.

ETA: His case for obtaining my retainer of him sounded like he wasn’t too interested.
edit on 2/10/2018 by Alien Abduct because: (no reason given)

ETA: Then again he seemed a bit expensive, when asked how much his fees could run he mentioned up into hundreds of thousands so maybe he was too bothered with those high dollar cases.

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Wait, you killed a car that they only made 53 of?...keep it if you can, don't let them total it and send it to a junkyard

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 09:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Argen
Wait, you killed a car that they only made 53 of?...keep it if you can, don't let them total it and send it to a junkyard
That’s the plan. I haven’t bounced around any numbers with them but from what I have heard from other claimants it should be pretty minimal for me to keep it.

ETA: I also plan to use most of the settlement money to obtain her sister

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 10:27 PM
link   
You may not need a lawyer yet.

Get in touch with your local insurance commisioner.

They will pull the insurance companies license if they have too many bad reports.

I've done this twice with game-playing insurance companies.

They usually call back the next day to settle.

They all default to trying to get out of coverage.

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 11:22 PM
link   

I arranged something with a friend to use their car for an agreed amount and explained this to Progressive but she said that it wouldn’t be covered because they don’t do that.

They used to . I rented my Dad's truck until I found another vehicle . My insurance covered it.
And dont trust a thing Progressive says. I had a windshield nicked by a rock . I turned it in as I had full coverage . Progressive told me that it was covered 100% . Well , the windshield was repaired with no issues. Asked the repairman how much I owed - 0 . I was insured. One month later Progressive calls me and says I owe such and such amount. I asked why I was told 0 from both them and repairman . I was told the deductible

Progressive is one of several insurance companies that waive the deductible for a glass repair as it is much cheaper that replacing.

edit on 2/10/18 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Id be curious to know if there ever WAS a white Magnum...and how old YOUR Magnum* was? Something fishy with the 2 VIns.

*In some states as in mine (Mich)...after 10 years most only carry P.D.L. because even a scratch or so will total you out if its over 10 years. Even with full coverage. Its very "iffy" on that coverage wise. And a lot of auto stores dont even stock 10 year or older items on-shelf because of that.

**Michigan is a No-Fault state as well...

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 07:05 AM
link   

That is insane!

I work in insurance and deal with this kind of stuff all the time. First of all if there was a VIN discrepancy issue it would have been addressed long before BY Progressive and the DMV. Do you have your ID cards from Progressive? If so they HAVE the VIN number listed on them. Another thing if old due was on the title then he would have to have been listed on your insurance as an "additional interest" since he has viable interest in the car. Why would he have insurance on it? That doesn't make sense. The car couldn't be insured twice. If the VIN was on two different policies ONE insurance company would have been red flagged by it and someone would have gotten a memo. How do I know? I am the one who deal with these memos at work when this happens. It doesn't happen often but it has happened.

As for Progressive, they can be a butt but they will pay out. If not threaten a lawyer lol that does work. I had the snapshot device from Progressive in my car for not even 40 days and it fried my battery and alternator, both were new within two years. I had read about the snapshot device and a massive lawsuit against Progressive for the device draining cars electrical systems. I got off lucky compared to some people. WEll I called Progressive when it happened and filed a claim, it's fleet claim separate from my own insurance so it won't affect my rates. Anyway after a month of arguing back and forth and my mechanic telling them how these devices work and how they ruin electrical systems Progressive agreed to refund me for the battery, $180. So that left the alternator $300. I went back and forth with the adjuster, she tried to say my car was old and all this other BS. Yes it's a 20 year old car but I meticulously keep it maintained by yearly mechanic visits. Well one day I check my mail and I open a letter from this adjuster saying they won't be paying me for the alternator so of course I"m pissed. At this point I had not used the "I am an agent and sell your policies daily and now I will make sure to pick another agency even if you are the best rate " line yet. Well after I opened that letter I had another envelope from Progressive. I opened it thinking it was a bill well it was a check for the exact amount of my alternator! I was confused since i just opened one saying they won't pay yet I had a check saying they would and did. I showed my boss both who in turn showed our Progressive rep. I mean if I was a normal customer I am sure I would have gotten an angry phone call about this.

So yea just keep on Progressive and ask for a copy of your original cards, they can't change that information! Get that card and it will show the VIN of the vehicle on the policy when you signed up. Ask for a copy of the application you signed, it too will show the VIN.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Yes the SRT8 425hp. Yes, Tor red. Yes, only 53 made. Yes, only 26k miles. Yes...

Production numbers for 2006-2008 for the SRT8s are roughly 4500 cars made.

Anyway,

If you are getting paid, why take the risk of taking further action that can turn itself around and leave you penniless?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join