It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The US truck driver shortage

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: tonycodes

Theres a new system coming out like Uber its going to be a massive disrupter for the trucking industry

Its going to benefit the truckers though the guys doing the work so its a good thing

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: Irishhaf

And far too many people don't give a damn about truck drivers. We're equated with serial killers, pedophiles, and more. I got told that I was number one the other day by a guy that passed me after his lane ended merging onto the interstate, and when I stayed in tight on the vehicle in front of me, he backed off and waited until there was enough of a gap to pass me on the right and cut me off, just missing hitting us. Day in and day out.

I would love to see a trucker strike. Three days into it, people would realize how important we are.

Or the trucking company would just replace you with fully automated trucks. It's going to happen anyways, 3.4 million people are about to be out of a job in the next 5-10 years. I wonder how the job market will evolve with a massive influx of un-skilled labor coming into it . I imagine that soon all of our jobs will be automated. The trucking industry cant compete with tesla the cost savings alone what with not having to pay for a driver or his/her health care and what not Interesting times we live in.
edit on 12-2-2018 by ashnomadonte because: To add a thought or two.

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: ashnomadonte

Those "fully automated trucks" are anything but, and will be longer than 5-10 years. The one automated truck that has done a true long distance drive can only self drive on interstates. It required a driver for getting on and off the interstate, and in the city.

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Those "fully automated trucks" are anything but, and will be longer than 5-10 years. The one automated truck that has done a true long distance drive can only self drive on interstates. It required a driver for getting on and off the interstate, and in the city.

I would like to direct your attention to this wired artical about a truck that made a delivery in town sans driver. www.google.com...

Like I said it's happening if we like it or not.

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Jusging by the text of the article it seems like they are just working out variables

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Yes it is, but it's a hell of a lot different having trucks drive fairly short distances, such as this one, and drive across country. They have to have a way to fuel, deal with mechanical issues, etc. Going from one town to another, even within a couple hundred miles is radically different.

I'm well aware of how far along they are and what's out there. The industry is keeping close eye on their testing. They have a lot of hurdles to overcome to see automated trucks going across the country without anyone on board.

Did you actually read that article though?

Walt Martin is kneeling, legs folded behind him, butt resting on his heels. "I've got to practice my yoga," he says, clearly joking. Never mind that we're in the cab of an 18-wheeler cruising through Colorado at 55 mph and Martin was, until a moment ago, the guy at the wheel.

The drive was as mundane as the beer in the trailer. At 12:30 am, after leaving the brewery in Fort Collins and merging onto Interstate 25, an Otto driver punched a switch labeled "engage," and, once sure autonomous mode had, in fact, engaged, climbed out of his seat. He buckled the safety belt behind him, to keep the warning chime from driving him crazy as the truck trundled 120 miles south to Colorado Springs.

So, again, while the truck did drive autonomously a human still did at least some of the driving. There are far too manyvariables involved to go totally driverless for many years to come, even if they will eventually.

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Yes it is, but it's a hell of a lot different having trucks drive fairly short distances, such as this one, and drive across country. They have to have a way to fuel, deal with mechanical issues, etc. Going from one town to another, even within a couple hundred miles is radically different.

I'm well aware of how far along they are and what's out there. The industry is keeping close eye on their testing. They have a lot of hurdles to overcome to see automated trucks going across the country without anyone on board.

Did you actually read that article though?

Walt Martin is kneeling, legs folded behind him, butt resting on his heels. "I've got to practice my yoga," he says, clearly joking. Never mind that we're in the cab of an 18-wheeler cruising through Colorado at 55 mph and Martin was, until a moment ago, the guy at the wheel.

The drive was as mundane as the beer in the trailer. At 12:30 am, after leaving the brewery in Fort Collins and merging onto Interstate 25, an Otto driver punched a switch labeled "engage," and, once sure autonomous mode had, in fact, engaged, climbed out of his seat. He buckled the safety belt behind him, to keep the warning chime from driving him crazy as the truck trundled 120 miles south to Colorado Springs.

So, again, while the truck did drive autonomously a human still did at least some of the driving. There are far too manyvariables involved to go totally driverless for many years to come, even if they will eventually.

Ok And agreed, now to the business of the 3.5 or 3.4 million jobs that will be lost to automation I wonder what the economy will be like when we ALL loose our jobs to automation. I'm in the aircraft industry as a A&P mechanic and my job is sooner then later going to go to automation. And though the pay is amazing I wonder for how long all of this will last.

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Quit whining and become a paramedic

Why even discuss it?

I'm fine. Deal with it.

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 08:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: Zaphod58

Free market will solve this.

Pay'em and they will drive.

AHAHAHAHAHA!

Dude, Truck Drivers get paid the same as they did in the 70's.

If that hasn't changed by now, it never will.

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 11:46 PM
link   

President Trump needs to get rid of Obama's tax on truckers. That's what has caused the decrease in the amount of truckers. Many truckers cannot afford being a trucker because of this tax, or the penalty that Obama enforced on truckers who could not pay the tax...

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Actually this is planned. They're phasing out truck drivers because in five years, there won't be any. It will all be autonomous vehicles.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 06:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Dfairlite

As I said in a previous post, they'll be lucky to be running fully autonomous vehicles in 20 years. They will require drivers in them for a long time to come. There is no way they will have the infrastructure in place in five years to support them. They might for local runs, but even that is extremely doubtful.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I have to agree with the 20 year estimate. There is a lot of needed infrastructure still needed to support driverless trucks. So still some time, but as mentioned, right now, the reward simply doesn't seem worth the investment.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 03:39 AM
link   

I stated that incorrectly. In five years, they'll begin the replacement process.

LINK

edit on 14-2-2018 by Dfairlite because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Imagine a single person who decides to live out of their rig while OTR.
As an example we'll use a 10 year window. A portion of their food and showers
would be free with continued use of Pilot/Loves fueling point cards.

A disciplined/frugal trucker should be able to save at least $50,000/year x 10 = $500,000

Now imagine if said driver got married, and drove teams with his spouse under the
same conditions. (This would have to be a hard woman of course -grins- )

Seems to me the potential to retire early is there for those willing to sacrifice.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: MrBlaq

It would be nice, but it's not that easy. My wife and I drive together, on a lease truck. We average somewhere around $250,000 a year, plus or minus some. After taking out truck expenses for the year, and everything else, we average somewhere between $40,000 and $60,000 take home for the year. We only just got a car, but have had a storage unit to keep things we don't have room for, have a small trailer for other things, and with all our bills, even being frugal, haven't been able to save near that much.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 08:43 AM
link   

After taking out truck expenses for the year, and everything else, we average somewhere between $40,000 and $60,000 take home for the year.

Guess it depends on what is included in "everything else".

If this is what you have after all bills and expenses, then that seems quite a bit to be saving each year, so seems you'd be in a really good position after a few years.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Gazrok

No, all the expenses taken out are before we pay our bills. Other expenses includes quarterly taxes, bookkeeping, etc. Truck expenses are fuel, maintenence, permits, etc.
edit on 2/15/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 09:12 AM
link   

That's not enough money for me to spend that much time away from my friends and family.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

It's not worth it for us to stay out here much longer.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join