It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bartitsu The polite way of punching someone in the face.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 03:26 AM
link   
I wish they had a Bartitsu dojo near me up I'm up North they are not going to have some Toff's mixed martial art.
Anyhow after watching a few videos I'm undecided.
Here is the History.

In 1898,Edward William Barton-Wright, a British engineer who had spent the previous three years living in Japan, returned to England and announced the formation of a "New Art of Self Defence". This art, he claimed, combined the best elements of a range of fighting styles into a unified whole, which he had named Bartitsu. Barton-Wright had previously also studied "boxing, wrestling, fencing, savate and the use of the stiletto under recognised masters", reportedly testing his skills by "engaging toughs (street fighters) until (he) was satisfied in their application." He defined Bartitsu as meaning "self defence in all its forms"; the word was a portmanteau of his own surname and of "Jujitsu"

Interesting chap, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle made Bartisu famous by having his famous detective a master of the Art.

It was also turned into a Ladies martial art called Suffrajitsu which came about when the suffragettes decide enough was enough they wanted to vote and duff up a bobby as seen below.

Here are a couple of videos showing the moves, I especially like throwing a hanky into peoples faces to distract them.

A small documentary.

Harry Enfield shows off his skills here.

So I tip my hat to Edward William Barton-Wright inventor of the worlds first mixed martial art, I hope to study under Sir Charles Hindle Jones (Mrs).

www.bartitsu.org...

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 10-2-2018 by testingtesting because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 03:40 AM
link   
This reminds me of the film The Kingsmen. Totally loved the Harry Enfield sketch, lol lol lol.

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 03:43 AM
link   
a reply to: CthulhuMythos

Good point I can see he has studied Bartitsu.

Hhhhmmm gonna have to get a Brolly.

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 03:49 AM
link   
a reply to: testingtesting

Totally loved that film. And here was me thinking it was all just Hollywood, and it turns out it is a real fighting style!

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Here is one of my favorite shows with another purveyor of Bartitsu.

John Steed The Avenger (Not the ones who wear tights) the real Avengers!.

Must get a Brolly with a sword in it!!!

I have intensively studied Miss Emma Peels moves.

Notice on the last video clever use of his Bowler Hat at 1.59.

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 04:01 AM
link   
I loved The Avengers, original and the new one. Steed was such a cool dude. Very suave at all times.

Eta. I had forgotten how cool Emma Peel was. Always stunning and feminine, but could beat up the baddies.
edit on 10-2-2018 by CthulhuMythos because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 05:09 AM
link   

how in all my life have i never heard of suffrajitsu

thanks for that

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Sword sticks are super illegal, and you should definitely not go to ebay and buy one of the many broken epees or foils for sale and make your own from lumber.
edit on 10-2-2018 by skalla because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 05:51 AM
link   
a reply to: skalla

Nor go and buy one over a hundred years old....Edwardian silver topped cane for 140 quid...no I will not be buying that at all.

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Punch him in the jaw twice.. 'thats the first technique'.

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I practiced in a few Japanese martial arts (armed and unarmed) over the years and dabbled in a tiny bit of Brazilian jujitsu, I love the look of this Gentlemans martial art and have to say that I was surprised that I'd never seen this Bartitsu before.

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Perfect for gents with arms tinier than Governor Ventura's

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 12:31 PM
link   

"Jū" can be translated to mean "gentle, soft, supple, flexible, pliable, or yielding." "Jutsu" can be translated to mean "art" or "technique" and represents manipulating the opponent's force against himself rather than confronting it with one's own force.[1] Jujutsu developed to combat the samurai of feudal Japan as a method for defeating an armed and armored opponent in which one uses no weapon, or only a short weapon.[3] Because striking against an armored opponent proved ineffective, practitioners learned that the most efficient methods for neutralizing an enemy took the form of pins, joint locks, and throws. These techniques were developed around the principle of using an attacker's energy against him, rather than directly opposing it.[4] There are many variations of the art, which leads to a diversity of approaches. Jujutsu schools (ryū) may utilize all forms of grappling techniques to some degree (i.e. throwing, trapping, joint locks, holds, gouging, biting, disengagements, striking, and kicking). In addition to jujutsu, many schools teach the use of weapons. Today, jujutsu is practiced in both traditional and modern sports forms. Derived sport forms include the Olympic sport and martial art of judo, which was developed by Kanō Jigorō in the late 19th century from several traditional styles of jujutsu, and Brazilian jiu-jitsu, which was derived from earlier (pre–World War II) versions of Kodokan judo.
Excellent , loved the Cannon , have a cigar
edit on 10-2-2018 by GeneralMayhem because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   
How effective is against a sawed off pistol grip pump?

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

Gotta say that his stance is epic tho.

Reminds me of time cop with Jean claude.

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 02:40 PM
link   

The cane fighting remind me of the discipline of stick fighting native to the Canary Islands. The overhead stick from the back hand is ancient. Its not very commonly seen. I like the approach that was taken in general to this art. Its all very smart.

Thanks for sharing.

S&F

EDIT TO ADD:

www.stickgrappler.net...

I found a French version of the person in the OP. Apparently Pierre Vigny was able to further develop and build upon Bartitsu.

Vigny was an accomplished professor of Savate, boxing, fencing, wrestling and Ju-Jitsu. He served as the fencing master for the Second Regiment of the French Artillery and was, for a period of time, a Professor of Arms at the Geneva Academy of Fencing.

Vigny also held the position of Chief Instructor at The Bartitsu School and introduced la canne to England

It also uses the high guard as its called.

The Stick Fighting Method of Pierre Vigny
1/23/2013 11:00:00 AM Alfred Hutton, Articles, Bartitsu, Charles Yerkow, Craig Gemeiner, E.W. Barton-Wright,

The high guard was advocated as the prime position for attack and defence. Standing with the left side forward (for a right handed person) the rear arm was raised above the head and the point of the walking stick sighted at the opponent’s eyes, the lead arm was extended forward off the bodyline.

The chosen grip to accompany this combat guard was a full handed one or fist grip with the thumb folded across the fingers and not along the shaft of the stick.

Unlike the waist orientated guards, which require one to first raise or retract the weapon to generate sufficient striking power, the high guard position, as advocated in the Vigny method, preps the weapon ready to strike with very little evidence of one’s intent. Another benefit of the high guard structure was the additional protection it offered to the weapon-bearing limb. Cuts to the hand and arms were not only permitted but also encouraged.

edit on 2 10 2018 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: testingtesting
a reply to: skalla

Nor go and buy one over a hundred years old....Edwardian silver topped cane for 140 quid...no I will not be buying that at all.

Awesome thread. I bet hardly anyone has heard of this, I love it.

I imagine you don't have a nice collection of antique weapons coming on.

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 02:49 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263

I don't have.

2 longbows90 arrows 1 fire arrow.
6 knives.
1 sharp arming sword.
2 blunt practice swords.
Pistol crossbow 48 bolts.
Air rifle.
Lightsaber (toy).

I hope one day there isn't a Photo of me on the front page of the Sun with me and the weapons I don't have posing....for a variety of reasons.

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Some slow motion action from Miss Emma Peel....studied it for many minutes this one I don't think she is using the art of Bartitsu too much what do you think?.

I really don't think this would be on Tea Time telly in this day
edit on 11-2-2018 by testingtesting because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 07:52 AM
link   

A fire arrow!!!

That's probably life completed, nothing gets much better than a fire arrow.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join