It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

to filter water - or not ..................

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 08:36 PM
link   
the latest claim = its unescecarry to filter water :

source

err - right .......................

this OP is going to be shorter than it should - because my opinions on this idiocy violate the T&C

discuss .............

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

I filter water.

EDIT TO ADD:
I hooked up a filter to the sink. We have a little tap for it. The filters last 6-12 months for a family of 4-6 people.

I recommend it.
edit on 2 9 2018 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I don't filter my water, it comes from my well and is usually nice and clean except for occasionally something collapses in the underground river and makes it turn dirty for about a day. Now, the town where my kids live, five miles away, that water sucks if you do not filter it. It makes the clothes dirty when you wash them. Must be the manganese. It also tastes like the water in a swimming pool, the water used to be better there when they took it out of the lake.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 08:49 PM
link   

I use a particle filter on my well and then a softener.
If I don't the high iron leave lots of rust.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 08:53 PM
link   

My well water here at home is not filtered, or rather the Earth and nature has filtered it just fine for consumption (and it's been tested).

Now, when we go camping, or I camp with the Boy Scouts, we tend to get our water from mountain streams, and we do filter the water then. You can see the particulates in the filter after we do.

In a survival situation, it would depend on several things: if I'm dying from lack of water and no way to filter it, may have to take my chances.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Well, when $20 for a cheap water filter could be the difference between surviving or sh*tting yourself to death, I think I'd just go ahead and spend the $20.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 08:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

I use a particle filter on my well and then a softener.
If I don't the high iron leave lots of rust.

I live four miles away from old Iron ore mines, and there are some huge open pit iron mines fifteen miles from here. I have mostly calcium residue from my well, no iron residue. I also do not have much manganese. The water kettle on the wood stove builds up a whitish scale in the bottom over time, almost all calcium and magnesium.

I think it is kind of strange that I do not have iron residue because I live in the iron range. When I lived in the copper country, the shower and sinks had greenish color stains from the copper in the water.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Not sure where to stand on this one myself. I grew up down south, swimming in some of the greenest, slow moving river/stream water ever and never contracted giardiasis even if some of the water got swallowed during horseplay. On the other hand, my oldest daughter contracted a very nasty case of it from going to daycare when she was a toddler.

I grew up on well-water. Unboiled, unfiltered. And we weren't connected to city sewage out in the country either. Waste-water went into a large septic tank that unfortunately was very old and leaky.

This alone makes me wonder how much of the illnesses we're plagued by today are due more to our immune systems never having been able to be built up. Modern society has moved to have everything spotlessly clean all the time. Kids are rarely allowed to just go out and get filthy playing in the dirt.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 09:03 PM
link   

So you want the choice to filter your water, but don’t think other people should have a choice in whether they know if the food they buy is GMO (re: labelling)???

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

I’d say you couldn’t make this crap up, if I hadn’t seen it with my own eyes.

Bravo... πŸ‘ πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 09:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408

So you want the choice to filter your water, but don’t think other people should have a choice in whether they know if the food they buy is GMO (re: labelling)???

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

I’d say you couldn’t make this crap up, if I hadn’t seen it with my own eyes.

Bravo... πŸ‘ πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

Moral of the story, careful whom you take health advice from.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 09:51 PM
link   
We use a Big Berkey water filter. Its out in the garage, I think it holds 3 gallons. It has the Berkshire black carbon filters on top and the heavy metal arsenic canisters inside. It even removes floride and chemicals, but allows the calcium to go through. The water tastes real bad before its filtered, but tastes great after. Everyone likes the filtered water here. People come over and ask if they can have some of the water in the garage. Im not kidding.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I think I would filter or treat stream water if I drank it though. I am not so worried about microbes, but there are a lot of parasitic worms that can live in stream water. It has to be a spring fed stream before I drink from it though, there are lots of them out there.

I read the article in the OP, it is referring to drinking water from streams. I assumed this thread was about the city and well water till I went back to read the reference.

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 01:34 AM
link   

In an emergency; a bucket filled with the cleanest sand you can find or a plastic sheet made into something of a bucket.

A large plastic bag comes to mind.

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Let the puking out of both ends begin.

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Water should always be filtered and boiled if you are unsure of the source.

Lots of people swear by their wells on their land, there is a reason there is still a well there, no one died from drinking it. Every new water source should be tested before drinking if a person refuses to filter their water. Even then, it is subject to change either through contamination of agriculture or environmental changes/contaminates.

When people say that different water (eg: town water, filtered water, etc) tastes like crap, all they are ever merely saying is that it tastes different. I work in water treatment and my town has some of the cleanest water in our province. Nothing but complaints about how the water tasted like crap when the new water treatment plant was announced to have started up, not too many people knew that the water treatment plant was up and running for months before the announcement (with zero complaints).

It's amazing how peoples minds work.

As a side note, if you are boiling a questionable water source while camping/hiking/surviving, you don't need a rolling boil for 5 mins. Once the water starts to boil, everything in that container that has come to a boil is the same temperature. Water won't get hotter. Just a little tip to save you time and fuel.

edit on 10-2-2018 by superman2012 because: added

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 01:36 AM
link   
It seems to mee that filtering water is not something about paranoia it's about the common scene. How can you what virus was born through generations of evolution on the tip of your tap. If the deal is in the minerals which filtered water doesn't contain. Boila! Here are the alkaline filters on the market diligentchef.com...

new topics

top topics

join