It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Government Has Shut Down Again - Thats Twice in 30 Days.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 08:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: 0zzymand0s
a reply to: carewemust

Twice in 30 days and nearly three trillion in new debt in 60 days between this CR and the tax bill.

Thanks, Obama!

I explained this in probably a dozen tax bill threads, but of course nobody listened because after "this tax bill is only for the rich" got exposed as a blatant lie there had to be something to cling to, so "it's going to explode the debt" was the last ditch talking point. Except it's extremely unlikely. See here. The projection that said the tax bill would "cost" $1.5T used an unrealistic assumption of 1.9% average GDP growth over the next 10 years. If a more realistic number is used in the calculations, it winds up not costing anything. And the idea that lowering taxes can cost anything is absurd anyway, but that's a more semantic argument. The numbers are just straight math. The tax bill won't "cost" $1.5T.

That said, spending is way too high and now that they've got a budget for 2 years they need to work on cutting spending.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Yep we are screwed now. Bad choice after bad choice.

The usa voted in the king of debt in lieu of the queen of nuke.

Now we owe more money than we can accurately count.

LOL corporations tax rate 20% and individual tax rate 40%

but rand paul put on as good of a show as nancy.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: face23785

That said, spending is way too high and now that they've got a budget for 2 years they need to work on cutting spending.

we have lost our minds if we even believe a portion of what you just said.

bust all the spending caps overnite so we can work now on cutting spending.

it is like cutting your wrist then not being happy with the blood flow so then just cut off head to drain blood faster.

you can all say goodbye to your markets bonds and such now!

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 09:32 AM
link   
hope it doesnt start back up again

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Well they got it started. See you in 6 weeks, when once again they will go through and do this all over again.

Why can't government get its act together and actually pass a budget that lasts say a year or 2 years?

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

It's sad to think a majority of Americans would agree to many of our recommendation. Unfortunately, the people of the U.S. don't have a voice once we elect these representatives into office. As technology and society continues to change, so should parts of our constitution. Some parts of our constitution have definitely become outdated. Our founding fathers could never imagine our changing technology and how some amendments are actually creating a system of divisiveness, gridlock, self-service, a lack of government accountability, fiscal responsibility, and addressing the needs of the people our government is supposed to serve.

There are some issues like our healthcare system, social security, the education system that directly affect all Americans.
These issues and the type of system we want should be decided directly by the people. Congressional term limits, government pay raises and their benefits should also be voted on by the taxpayers who they work for! Since when do employees decide their own benefits and salaries? Having congress decide on establishing term limits for themselves, is like placing a child in charge of the candy jar! With their great pension and healthcare benefits, do we really think they have much concern about many Americans who don't have pensions, or lack good healthcare coverage or none at all?

Millionaires who represent us and control decisions that directly affect their salaries and benefits, can never relate to the majority of struggling Americans. So how can we truly say they represent all Americans?

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: sdcigarpig
Well they got it started. See you in 6 weeks, when once again they will go through and do this all over again.

Why can't government get its act together and actually pass a budget that lasts say a year or 2 years?

I am still reading but i believe they did screw us real good with a 2 yr deal just as you desired in your post.

I have heard 6 weeks and 2 yr.
It seems to have some obamacare amendments also along with removing all budget caps.
we got shat on and have strained the economy enough to sink us

After temporary shutdown, Congress passes two-year spending deal

edit on 9-2-2018 by howtonhawky because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: howtonhawky

When was the last time the government did anything for the country, that helped the entire country in one form or another?

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Do you have a link to the actual bill so that i can read it for my self?
I can't find it.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Two year budget. Six weeks to appropriate funds to the departments and agencies of the government. Lots of open hands, and brown-nosing the next 6 weeks.
edit on 2/9/2018 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

Do you have a link to the actual bill so that i can read it for my self?
I can't find it.

HR 1892

lots of "goodie goodie gumdrops"

😁

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

President Trump just signed the new 2 year budget into law a few hours ago. It's not posted online yet, but here is a high-level summary.

www.foxnews.com...

EDIT: It's online now. Here's a PDF for those who understand the lingo: www.congress.gov...
From Source website: www.congress.gov...
edit on 2/9/2018 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: howtonhawky

we have lost our minds if we even believe a portion of what you just said.

bust all the spending caps overnite so we can work now on cutting spending.

it is like cutting your wrist then not being happy with the blood flow so then just cut off head to drain blood faster.

you can all say goodbye to your markets bonds and such now!

You can not believe simple math if that's what you choose. I don't see how anyone can take you seriously after that though.

The debt is so high that adding another $2T is not going to be catastrophic, if by the time the next budget rolls around they figure out a way to balance it. That's a big if, but acting like this spending bill is going to be the straw that broke the camel's back is dishonest and uninformed. We can't sustain this level of spending forever. I absolutely want them to balance the budget.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 03:57 PM
link   

When was the last time the government did anything for the country, that helped the entire country in one form or another?

Probably never. There's always going to be unique cases of people who didn't benefit.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

Probably never. There's always going to be unique cases of people who didn't benefit.

USA is Still the best country on Earth for my family. Some others might want to leave though.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

USA is Still the best country on Earth for my family. Some others might want to leave though.

Oh they won't be going anywhere. All the bitching and moaning and they know they've got it too good here. Evidenced by the type of nonsense that they have the luxury of making a big deal over.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: bluechevytree

originally posted by: Greven
Republicans can't blame this one on the Democrats in any way.

So here we are with one party in control of all branches of government, and they manage to shut down the government all on their own.

oh really? the democrats won`t fund the government unless the government agrees to violate immigration laws, yeah I would say that most americans have no sympathy for the democrats. The democrats aren`t shutting down the government not to benefit Americans they are shutting down the government to benefit criminal aliens at the expense of americans. democrats will cave again just like they did last time and you know why? because liberals will only support their cause when it doesn`t affect them. shutting down the government affects lots of liberals, because a lot of liberals can`t survive without the government.
liberal congress critters are throwing their constituents under the bus in another failed attempt to make millions of criminal aliens legal citizens.

Yes, really. This short shutdown was purely Republicans - more specifically, one Republican.

Republican Rand Paul shut down the government all on his own. Or rather, he took advantage of a glacially slow Congress pushing a last minute spending resolution, and delayed it enough that funding expired for a few hours.

Democrats had nothing to do with it. Once the Senate resumed business, they got 69 votes (Republicans only have 50 without McCain, so that's at least 19 Democrats) to shut him up and get the government funded.

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 01:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: whywhynot
I think we need a Constitutional amendment that requires a budget passed and signed no later than 60 days before the beginning of the fiscal year. If there is no signed budget 1/3 of the Congress ((House and Senate) are required to resign. And here is the kicker, the most senior members go first based upon their seniority. No signed budget in another 60 days and another 1/3 get the boot. And finally another 60 days and we get an all new Congress. Forced out members are replaced in accordance with their States Constitution. States better get a fast track ready.

Best idea ever.

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 01:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Just curiously have you lived in another country to be able to gauge that statement accurately ?

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 11:51 AM
link   

The debt is so high that adding another $2T is not going to be catastrophic

I agree that if you can not see the problem with what just happened then indeed i doubt you could take me seriously and that is just fine.

I wonder if it has really sank in with many people as to what just happened and how the next few steps the admin will take is going to effect us.

Just the tax bill alone was unsustainable and now this and that...

By his own words we have elected the king of debt/bankruptcy

i am a fan and am thankful of much of what he is doing but the usa will follow further into debt with him if we do not get a grip.

Busting all spending caps while hoping that washington is gonna magically start balancing the budget is beyond mental.

Only in the wildest wet democratic progressive dreams do things like this happen while everyone is lulled into silence.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join