It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Government Has Shut Down Again - Thats Twice in 30 Days.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Thursday, February 8, 2018

The Federal Government shut down near the end of January, because Congressional Democrats wanted DACA Immigrants to have U.S. citizenship. After 3 days of the government being closed, they quit protesting, and allowed it to reopen. This time, I'm not sure why, but the government is shutting down again.

WASHINGTON (AP) — With a midnight government shutdown creeping closer, both Republicans and Democrats grappled with internal party divisions as they tried to push through a massive budget deal Thursday night.

The Senate recessed until 12:01 a.m. Friday, meaning the government would shut down, though senators planned to hold a vote around 1 a.m..

Frustrations mounted — and the risk of a shutdown increased — as GOP Sen. Rand Paul held up voting on the broad measure in hopes of obtaining recorded votes on reversing spending increases.

"I ran for office because I was very critical of President Obama's trillion-dollar deficits," the Kentucky senator said. "Now we have Republicans hand in hand with Democrats offering us trillion-dollar deficits. I can't in all honesty look the other way."

SOURCE: www.cnbc.com...

What surprised me about this week's budget negotiations, is that the REPUBLICANS are willing to increase the Federal Debt by a whopping $1.5 Trillion dollars through increased spending and borrowing. No wonder fiscally conservative Senator RAND PAUL is protesting so fervently tonight. Republicans consistently bashed President Obama for adding $10 Trillion to our national debt.

-CareWeMust

edit on 2/8/2018 by carewemust because: minor adjustments

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 10:42 PM
link   

is an American politician and physician serving as the junior United States Senator from Kentucky since 2011 alongside Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell.

Rand Paul Wiki

Need I say more ???

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 10:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

You'd think Senate leader McConnell would not allow a single Senator to shut things down again. After the Senate votes, the House still has to vote.

Since tomorrow is Friday, I guess a lot of government employees will get (at least) a 3 day weekend.

+4 more 
posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I think we need a Constitutional amendment that requires a budget passed and signed no later than 60 days before the beginning of the fiscal year. If there is no signed budget 1/3 of the Congress ((House and Senate) are required to resign. And here is the kicker, the most senior members go first based upon their seniority. No signed budget in another 60 days and another 1/3 get the boot. And finally another 60 days and we get an all new Congress. Forced out members are replaced in accordance with their States Constitution. States better get a fast track ready.

edit on 8-2-2018 by whywhynot because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 10:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
What surprised me about this week's budget negotiations, is that the REPUBLICANS are willing to increase the Federal Debt by a whopping $1.5 Trillion dollars through increased spending and borrowing.

Donno why you're surprised.

They set it up to be shutdown.

Do you know the fiscally hawkish Republicans to be grand over-spenders?

That's supposed to be a Democratic trait.

So...they knew when the deal went to the house, there's no way the house could accept it.

Shutdown was the plan all along.

Trump went on TV and said,

"I'd love for there to be a shutdown. Let's have a shutdown."

He's the leader.

And so the Republican majority gave him what he demanded.

Shutdown.

Who would dare going against the "Dear Leader" Donald Trump?

The man gets everything he asks for.

He needs to be careful what he asks for. Since, the power of God is behind him. If he hasn't noticed, yet.

Words matter.

edit on 8-2-2018 by AMPTAH because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Sorry, DP.
edit on 8-2-2018 by whywhynot because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 11:07 PM
link   

The Federal Government shut down near the end of January ... This time, I'm not sure why, but the government is shutting down again.

-CareWeMust

I can clear up all of your confusion.

Because the country is run by idiots who were voted into office by morons.

Plain and simple.

I hope that clears it up.

Your welcome!

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 11:09 PM
link   
a reply to: AMPTAH

You're one of the word cherry-pickers, I see. Here is what President Trump said, two days ago.

“I’d love to see a shutdown if we don’t get this stuff taken care of,” Mr. Trump said at a meeting with lawmakers and law enforcement officials to discuss gang violence. “If we have to shut it down because the Democrats don’t want safety,” he added, “then shut it down.”

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Old gray haired men's games. Stock market starting to sputter because they played their hands in that too long and all the pieces are falling apart. Praise lowering the taxes, raise the deficit, raise the interest rate, then praise no budget agreement and shut down the government.

Who's winning?

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 11:11 PM
link   
What is the threshold for firing all of them via incompetence?

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 11:13 PM
link   
good, keep it shut down , lets see which side has the balls to put their re-election prospects on the line for their own personal beliefs.
the side that caves is the side that isn`t representing the people that elected them because if they were representing the people that elected them they would have no fear of not being re-elected by shutting the government down so they have no motivation to cave.

lets see who is pretending to represent the voters and who really is representing the voters.the last time the government shut down the democrats caved.lets see what happens this time, I`m predicting that they cave again.

edit on 8-2-2018 by bluechevytree because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-2-2018 by bluechevytree because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 11:14 PM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

I started a thread asking if a perpetual U.S. budget, with annual adjustments was feasible. Lots of good input from ATS members, but Congress won't do it. Makes too much sense.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 11:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Justso

Who's winning?

The smart individuals and families who are flooding resort locations all over the world.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Rand Paul shut the government down as a matter of principle. Nothing more. Nothing less. This is just another circus show. Except it’s midnight and I’ve no popcorn.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 11:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

Congress has a 15% approval rating, and it hasn't bothered them one bit. Like the Medical industry, they know that most Americans are not bright enough to understand what's going on, and/or lack the initiative to do anything about it.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 11:21 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

#American lives dont matter.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 11:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

Congress has a 15% approval rating, and it hasn't bothered them one bit. Like the Medical industry, they know that most Americans are not bright enough to understand what's going on, and/or lack the initiative to do anything about it.

And it's of no coincidence that you mention the two in the same breath (paragraph).

They don't need our votes or favor. They need our money, which is taken instead of given and live their lives in peace knowing their finances are well provided for.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 11:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Justso

the stock market is still 4400 points higher than it was a year ago when trump took office, nobody is crying about the stock market, lets see if nancy and other democrats have the balls to throw their constituents under the bus,and jeopardize their re-election chances by supporting criminal aliens over their constituents.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Having paid attention to this the following can be stated:

This was not to be unexpected. Nor should we be shocked by this cause the Congress have been dinking along with this budget, since September.

This time, the shutdown is on Trump and the President. The President on Feb 6, 2018 that he would like a shutdown, it would be a good thing.

And now we have a Republican Senator, who is looking at the money spent and saying that this is not what he was elected to office for. And funny, how when Obama was in office, the Republicans were wanting to be fiscally conservative, not raising the debt ceiling, or raise the deficit or even raise the debt. And now that Trump is in office, they are all for big spending and raising the debt, and the deficit.

From what I have heard, Ryan, wanted a vote on an amendment, and they told him no, cause if they allowed it, they would have to open the floor to any and all other amendments to be voted on. So he used the rules to delay this vote, and could conceivably hold the floor up until 3 am and not let them vote. And that is just the tip of the proverbial iceberg, cause once it is voted on, it has to go to the House to vote on, and they are not ready and could have problems to get it through, then sent to the white house for a signature.

Somehow this is not going to go like the other shutdown where it is pretty much a weekend.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Shut it down when the swamp clowns are being paid more, the weekdays.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join