It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Positron Flow

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I know that a flow of electrons is electricity, but what if you had a flow of positrons? Would it be like antielectricity? And what would it do? What would the opposite of electricity do?

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 06:14 PM
link   
You would be able to create an android like Data in Star Trek: The Next Generation.

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 06:16 PM
link   
What is it made out of?
But, seriously, what would happen?

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by DII503
I know that a flow of electrons is electricity, but what if you had a flow of positrons? Would it be like antielectricity? And what would it do? What would the opposite of electricity do?

Since I believe matter and anti-matter annihilate each other, we assume the positrons are contained in a system of antimatter somehow shielded from us. Positron flow would then embody current just as electron flow does in the realm of matter. Perhaps anti-semiconductors would exist from which anti-people could construct positronic circuits. I'd guess these would behave the same - the mass of positrons is the same as electrons, and the effective mass in anti-semiconductors would (I'm guessing) be the same, so equations for circuit design would be similar.

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 06:20 PM
link   
A positron is an anti-electron and would annhilate with an electron if it ever contacted normal matter such as in a copper wire. In a environment composed entirely of antimatter, I guess it would exhibit properties exactly like an electron but with a positive charge, but this has never been experimentally proven. Perhaps a theoretical physicist here can add something else...

[edit on 2/15/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
A positron is an anti-electron and would annhilate with an electron if it ever contacted normal matter such as in a copper wire. In a environment composed entirely of antimatter, I guess it would exhibit properties exactly like an electron but with a positive charge, but this has never been experimentally proven. Perhaps a theoretical physicist here can add something else...

[edit on 2/15/2005 by djohnsto77]

Yeah, I know that it would annihilate, I meant in an "anti-conducto."

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Friend,

A positron can flow through p-doped elements without being annahilated. It happens in solarpanels too. Since when a photon hits a metal plate it releases positron's and electron's the p doped layer is above n doped to avoid annahilation at a large scale( yes it can not be completly avoided)
but the better the layers quality the less annahilation. those are then transported to certain machines that by giving charges power a magnet which moves coils and type of converts positrons to protons( the wire from a panel to the machine is made of p type for positive and n type for negative) I hope this helps you. also, if you need more on this ask me( This is my only speciality)

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 04:12 AM
link   
a reply to: [post=15953006]UmarIbrahim[/post
]i have a question about positrons. I would like to know if I had a positron creator around my wrist and grab the power wire if it would reverse the current coming into my hand and not electrocute me at very high voltage / amps

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 05:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: UmarIbrahim
Friend,

A positron can flow through p-doped elements without being annahilated. It happens in solarpanels too. Since when a photon hits a metal plate it releases positron's and electron's the p doped layer is above n doped to avoid annahilation at a large scale( yes it can not be completly avoided)
but the better the layers quality the less annahilation. those are then transported to certain machines that by giving charges power a magnet which moves coils and type of converts positrons to protons( the wire from a panel to the machine is made of p type for positive and n type for negative) I hope this helps you. also, if you need more on this ask me( This is my only speciality)

Just to inform you but this is absolutely 100% incorrect

n and p semi-conductors has nothing to do with positrons and electrons being positive and negative. If it was true, all semiconductors would be producing billions of 511keV Gammas... and... they are not.

You say p-doped elements... you do not understand what a element is, as elements in the nuclear sense are simply atoms, you dont p or n dope atoms. Assuming you mean however you are talking about semi-conductors you are still not correct. A n dopant is something that is electron rich and, the silicon lattice still bonds with it but, the result is an extra electron. As such, electrons are avaliable as the charge carriers through the n doped material

P doped is the same except it leaves a 'hole' that is just a place in which there is an electron missing. This state can also pass through the material as electrons can move and occupy the hole state, by leaving a hole state behind where they where originally.

In terms of quality of the semiconductor... yes the better it is, in a p-n junction, the less effects you get such as trapping or heating...but once again, not anything to do with e+ / e- annihilation

Its got nothing to do with positrons.

top topics

join