It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

X-56 and the implications to modern flight

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Sam lives!

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

Haha. Living is the reason I've been scarce for a while.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

I bet if one were traveling at really, really high speeds you'd want anti flutter technology in your wings.

but you know bass I'm crazy. I'd want variable geometry on parts of the wing too.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 01:23 AM
link   
We are using simple lead blocks on RPA's for static ballast, it is only in the fuselage and used for CG...way low tech as you would imagine. On A-10's I think they were DU...

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 08:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Barnalby
a reply to: Sammamishman

I've read that the X-56 might be a direct, white world response by Lockheed to problems encountered with a decidedly different aircraft they worked on that may or may not have had a similar planform to the X-56. There any truth that?

Yes, that's exactly right. In an interview early in the Lockheed Martin portion of the program a guy from the Skunk Works said the X-56 had been designed, in part, in response to a flutter problem that "really bit us in the ass" on "another project." He wouldn't say what the earlier project was. It was not DarkStar.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Shadowhawk
The follow on to DarkStar then?

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: mightmight

More like the predecessor.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Barnalby
Just as well but they took their time then... X-56 flew in 2013, the predecessor went away in the early 90s.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: mightmight

Which is probably an indication that someone high up decided they needed something with the predecessor's capabilities, again.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join