It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FDA Releases Kratom Death Data, Undermines Its Own Claims About Drug’s Deadly Harms

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 03:33 AM
link   
of course this figures. something else that is all natural and helps a lot of people. helps people with pain and it is a wonder if you are going through the dt's by coming off opiates.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

The FDA says the incidents “underscore the serious and sometimes deadly risks” of kratom, but the list contains a number of events in which kratom played an uncertain role, including a case in which a teenager hanged himself, and another in which a drug overdose victim tested positive for nine different substances.

so a kid has a gang of # in is system.... must be the kratom that caused his suicide right?

At the time, the FDA said it was aware of 36 deaths involving kratom, which it held up as evidence of the gravest of the drug’s potential harms. The FDA has found eight additional cases since then, Gottlieb said Tuesday, bringing the total number of kratom-associated deaths to 44.

i dont really see how they attribute 44 deaths but ok. not when they throw people in with 9 other things in their body.

lets just say for a fact kratom has killed 44 people. so what?

why do they #ing care?

they clearly dont care about all the people that die from alcohol and cigarettes. i bet 44 people have died from one of those as i type this out.
millions of people.

Supporters regularly tout it as a natural treatment for conditions like chronic pain, anxiety and depression. Others claim it’s a safer alternative to traditional opioids, both legal and illegal, which has also contributed to kratom’s increasing popularity as a step-down treatment off of painkillers or heroin.

^^^^^i claim these things

so the FBI does a study about the dangers of kratom and find 35 deaths associated with it...

but also

Almost all of the FDA’s cases involve subjects who were found to be on multiple substances at the time of their death, with the vast majority including either illicit or prescription drugs that carry well-known fatal risks.

One incident describes a teenager who had hanged himself after struggling with depression and prescription drug abuse. He tested positive for a variety of drugs, including kratom, as well as alcohol and a handful of prescription drugs.

FDA’s list of kratom-related deaths also includes a 43-year-old man determined to have died from complications due to deep vein thrombosis. He had a long list of medical problems, including chronic back and shoulder pain and a history of alcohol and prescription drug abuse. At the time of his death, he’d recently been prescribed five different medicines. His toxicology test came back positive for opioids, benzodiazepines ― best known as Xanax ― anti-depressants and a medication apparently used to treat his Tourette’s syndrome. He also tested positive for kratom.

so yeah. looks like the big bad evil kratom might be on the way out

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Kratom sounds bad enough, should be an easy PR campaign from here with all the manufactured baloney they're regurgitating. Chinese have used it for thousands of years, but whatever. This is just setting the stage to go after CBD.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 03:42 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Kratom is a godsend to opiate addicts. It is a simple tea leaf that significantly reduces withdrawal symptoms. So of course the FDA wants it illegal. They're probably making a killing (no pun intended) off all that lobbying money from opiate manufacturers, whether it be producers of painkillers or withdrawal medication which is just as addictive as the painkillers.

Kratom got me off painkillers years ago. Low dose, no side affects. Since I've been clean I've lost half a dozen friends to overdoses. Many of them had Suboxone prescriptions, too.

TL;DR: F the FDA

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 03:44 AM
link   
We can't have Nature cutting into the profits of the pharmaceutical companies.
It just ain't American.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 03:47 AM
link   
a reply to: sine.nomine

i have gone through the dt's many many times. once i found kratom i never went through them again.

kratom is great.

i get boxes of k chill all the time. love that #. getting ready to order some soon.
better do it real soon

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 03:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
We can't have Nature cutting into the profits of the pharmaceutical companies.
It just ain't American.

and that is the actual issue right there.
heavens no we cant have that

cant have some natural # out there that can actually help people get off opiates very easily.
oh no

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 04:07 AM
link   
I know of a few people, one even on here, that need Kratom for other reasons than withdrawal, it is the one thing that eases their neuropathic suffering.

It's already illegal down here in Aus, just as with everything else except that insidious bollocks sold at hipster joints, where obese dudes with yellow neck tattoos sell you rubbish that is definitely not safe.

Once again, a combination of ignorance by politicians and idiocy by a few, impacts the well being of the many who use something.

Anything natural that helps ease a persons life, nope, nada, not having it. Get back to your all knowing big pharma dealer and get leashed to something that causes more suffering than it seeks to relieve.

edit on 8-2-2018 by badw0lf because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 04:08 AM
link   

I went into kratom use with the intent of not even needing the kratom. I always took the minimum amount needed, and never more than 4 capsules at a time. Usually tried to power through the day as best as I could then kratom at night to help me get to sleep without kicks and aches. Eventually whittled down to only needing one capsule a night, then one every couple of nights, etc. I actually was able to stop altogether after about six months.

I still keep some capsules on hand, just in case. But really, I just usually give them to people who need them when the occasion arises. Last time was after talking to someone after an NA meeting. I hope they're doing well.

I've heard that kratom can have very mild withdrawal symptoms, but I've never experienced them. Minor discomfort is how it was described to me.

ETA: It's completely nonsensical to me that they could go through with outlawing it with the country being in the opiate epidemic that it's currently in. People need to put an end to this regulatory madness.
edit on 8-2-2018 by sine.nomine because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 04:16 AM
link   
its not really effective. its not in anyway strong and gets boring very quickly. i just dont understand why this should be seen as a toxic problem. absolut redicilous. i cannot imagine how this could help you to get off from the hardstuff but... its an very light alternative downa and doesnt make addicted in anyway like downer do. its absolute insane. my take is ITS JUST ABOUT #ING WITH THE PEOPLE AND PROTECTING THE PHARMA

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 04:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: airowineSailorcat
its not really effective. its not in anyway strong and gets boring very quickly. i just dont understand why this should be seen as a toxic problem. absolut redicilous. i cannot imagine how this could help you to get off from the hardstuff but... its an very light alternative downa and doesnt make addicted in anyway like downer do. its absolute insane. my take is ITS JUST ABOUT #ING WITH THE PEOPLE AND PROTECTING THE PHARMA

I've known people who've had the same reaction, and all I can say is this: People who think that way about it are trying to use it as a drug. They complain that it's not strong enough because kratom doesn't get you loaded. The people who actually want to get clean love it because it gets rid of withdrawal symptoms. As someone who OD'd (again) on the "hard stuff" myself before using kratom to get clean, I can attest to it's effectiveness. Much better than Suboxone or Subutex. Much better than methadone. Safe and effective. If you wanna get loaded, go out and get the hard stuff. If you wanna get better, I would recommend kratom to alleviate withdrawal symptoms.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 06:11 AM
link   
It makes me sick. The government can't stop the fentanyl from streaming into the country; the real culprit behind the opiate death problem.

So what they concentrate on Kratom; makes sense.

Since Rockefeller spawned what is "Big Pharma" the government has been bought and paid for to protect the industry.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 08:16 AM
link   

This all stems from the fact that addicts are treated as criminals in the US.

Now we all know it is a no no to use narcotics, but it does happen, and people are jailed and many are not offered anything more than that, punishment.

It is a very very messed up situation. Big pharma has lots and lots and lots of blood on it's hands with the oxy style deaths that it knowingly (in many cases) encouraged with loose shipping policies.

The US needs to change the way we view addiction, jailing isn't the solution. If it were we would have no more addicts today.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: sine.nomine

Kratom is a godsend to opiate addicts. It is a simple tea leaf that significantly reduces withdrawal symptoms. So of course the FDA wants it illegal. They're probably making a killing (no pun intended) off all that lobbying money from opiate manufacturers, whether it be producers of painkillers or withdrawal medication which is just as addictive as the painkillers.

Kratom got me off painkillers years ago. Low dose, no side affects. Since I've been clean I've lost half a dozen friends to overdoses. Many of them had Suboxone prescriptions, too.

TL;DR: F the FDA

I'm real glad I clicked this thread and saw your response. I'm at my witts end with a very loved but now very feared family member. In his defense he's tried a lot of different ways to clean himself up- but maybe I can get my hands on some of this before its too late. It's worth another shot at least.

Thanks

-Alee

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 11:29 AM
link   

I'm actually waiting on a 250g package of Green Maeng Da kratom from the good ol USPS today. The stuff is seriously a god send. I got overprescribed a lot of different opioids after having a series of surgeries and then after building me up they pulled me off cold turkey. I suffer from a bunch of different issues. DDD, Arthritis in my right leg from a bad injury, etc, the stuff helps with withdrawals tremendously. I was originally using it for withdrawals and then started using it as a replacement for pain killers because it gives all the pain relief without the head fog and drowsiness "nodding out" feeling.

I really enjoy the energy I get from it as well.
I've never had any issues with the substance at all, don't experience withdrawal effects or anything like that. Use it for months at a time and sometimes I run out and it's no big deal, I can go to work just fine with no issues. Little more pain than usual but that's all.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: sine.nomine

really? i thought from comparing it that would be not enough for jumping off the cliff .

actually the metha is damaging your brain... its a absolut disgrace. the only healthy and perefct therapie i think is only iboga or dosing down with lighter opiates.

top topics

join