It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Two Cyclones Strike South Pacific

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Winds over 155mph are expected over the next 24 hours as two cyclones batter the Southern Pacific. Cyclone Olaf has made its landfall on the western end of the Samoan archipelago, and the weaker Cyclone Nancy is presently causing damage to the Cook Islands. There is concern as to whether these storms will cross paths and create a super-storm, or follow in short succession.

A state of emergency has been declared and the island nations are said to be facing a "critically dangerous situation".

news.bbc.co.uk
Olaf was expected to become a Category Five Super-Cyclone, the most powerful on the scale.

If these predictions are correct, many communities could be battered by huge waves and flooded by heavy rain.

Olaf is forecast to move towards the southern Cook Islands, where it could collide with Nancy.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

If there's anything fortunate about these storms, it's that the residents of these islands are fairly accustomed to them. Schools and offices have been shut down, and shelters have been established. I think they were well prepared for their arrival...The only question is, how much damage will this foul-weather duo cause?

Related News Links:
news.yahoo.com
www.cnn.com
www.prh.noaa.gov
www.usatoday.com

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Olaf does sound more powerful and threatening than Nancy.

Yes, cyclone proofing is better than ever before in the areas mentioned. Unlike some other parts of the South Pacific, where the philosophy is go to high ground and rebuild the coastal area from scratch.

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 08:01 PM
link   
why does this sound so damn scary????
two cyclones colliding!!! Wouldn't that be like Day After Tomorrow type devastation?

would one just absorb the other? break each other up?

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I seriously doubt these 2 storms will come close to each other. They are seperated by some 700 miles and Olaf is behind Nancy, with Olaf moving at 1/2 the speed of Nancy.

It is interesting after 5 storms (1 tropical storm) hit Florida within a month, we are now seeing this in the South Pacific. Coincidence or Weather Control?

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Qwas
It is interesting after 5 storms (1 tropical storm) hit Florida within a month, we are now seeing this in the South Pacific. Coincidence or Weather Control?

It's more like extreme climate changes i would think.

UM_Gazz, a few other members and I have been posting threads about this for quite some time, of course there were other members before us who also brought up these points. Some members were denying that there was anything unusual going on and things would stabilize. Well, they have become worse and worse, and it doesn't seem to be stopping or slowing down, on the contrary, several reports are predicting worse weather on the horizon with more of these extreme weather pattern breaking even more records.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Update.

Source

Emergency measures are being taken in Samoa and American Samoa as they face a very strong cyclone, known as Olaf, which is bringing winds of more than 200 kilometres per hour.

The Samoan Government has ordered the closure of government offices, schools and businesses.

Meteorologists forecast that the South Pacific cyclone will miss the major centres of population but it has already caused flooding and brought down power lines and trees in some coastal areas.

Link

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 07:06 AM
link   
sg.news.yahoo.com...

according to this story, if they meet up with each other, they would kind of revolve around each other?

But, na.....
there's nothing unusual with the weather, all is fine and dandy.....just keep on keeping on!!!

didn't the meteorologists on the tv news shows show national and world weather maps also in the past.....or is it that I don't see them anymore because there's no cable here.....
but, I'd just about swear that I remember seeing them from time to time when I was a kid. Now, I am lucky to catch a map showing what is about to hit california.....

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Looks like they're getting pretty damn close from this photo....

Waves up to 50 feet?! That's what CNN reported

Olaf is appearently weakening slowly but making unexpected shifts....It hasn't struck land yet - All the while, Nancy is causing damage in the Cook Islands....

Nancy's current location
Olaf's current location

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Fears were held for nine fishermen missing at sea off Samoa and American Samoa two days after Super Cyclone Olaf swept through the region.

Two of the men were on a vessel known to have sunk when pounded by 190 kilometre-an-hour (119 miles per hour) winds and 15-metre (50-foot) seas, and the American owner of another boat with seven people on board said he had not heard from the crew since Wednesday.

www.channelnewsasia.com...

Those are not my ideal sailing conditions man! My remorse is replaced with pity for the fact that these guys were dumb enough to "rough it out"

[edit on 2/18/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

top topics

join