It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

review.....Phantom Thread

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 07:27 PM
link   
What a beautiful tapestry of film art. And film it is, shot on 35mm stock for the ambiance only film can give, but the real art was in the script, characters and the flawless acting of every principal in this extraordinary piece of a period movie. Danial Day Lewis at the peak of his craft, weaves an intimate look into a complex character. Perfect locations, Art department, everything class in Paul Thomas Anderson's alluring and exquisite film.

edit on 7-2-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

lewis has been at the peak of his craft for a long time.
too bad we are not going to get any more after this

i love most of his rolls but it is hard to top my left foot, in the name of the father and the boxer

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Hardly surprising... this flick has critics gushing, but thanks, as come to think of it, critics are often paid to gush... shape of water comes to mind... perfectly fine film with outstanding lead and set design, but oscar contender it was NOT, heh.

SO thanks, dude... thread is next on my list. DDL will likely thespian again, if a likely script catches his fancy... arteests make a lotta fuss, but they stay arteests.

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Oooo, it looks wonderful.

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 08:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

lewis has been at the peak of his craft for a long time.
too bad we are not going to get any more after this

I did not know that.

Day-Lewis has often wanted to quit after emerging from a character. This time, by making a public announcement of his retirement, he sought to make the decision binding. “I knew it was uncharacteristic to put out a statement,” he continued. “But I did want to draw a line. I didn’t want to get sucked back into another project. All my life, I’ve mouthed off about how I should stop acting, and I don’t know why it was different this time, but the impulse to quit took root in me, and that became a compulsion. It was something I had to do.”

www.wmagazine.com...

Since he finished the movie he has "a deep sadness" that he can't shake, he says.

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 10:30 PM
link   
He owned the screen in "Gangs of New York" and "There Will Be Blood."
I'm sure he has enough money to retire comfortably.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 03:08 AM
link   
he took more than a year off at some point to study as a cobbler.
maybe he will do that as a hobby.

he is not hurting for cash

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Thanks, just watched it... it was a visual feast and great acting all-around... but can someone please help me with the plot? I can dig the literal and even the metaphorical poisoning your spouse or better half to spice things up and that eating 'shrooms might lead to a learning experience and extremely thoughtful introspection... is this the phantom thread that binds them together much stronger than an actual thread? Did I miss something?

Is there a Hollywood agenda of legalizing 'shrooms?

top topics

join