It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Town (2010)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 06:59 PM
link   
this is one of my favorite movies. based off the book Prince Of Thieves which is also fantastic.
i love movies set in Boston/South Boston. just kind of have a special place for me for reasons not mentioned.

anyway i think this is Afflecks best movie.

solid all the way through. Blake LIvely kills it as the little southie hood girl. her accent is on point.

if you have not seen this i highly recommend it.

love it

if youre into the southie thing like me check out the boondock saints, the departed, and gone baby gone. 3 great ones off the top of my head

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I will have to check it out.
Boondock Saints is one of my all time favorite movies. I just watched it again Monday.

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 07:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom
I will have to check it out.
Boondock Saints is one of my all time favorite movies. I just watched it again Monday.

one of my favorites too.
all saints day was good too but of course not as good as part 1.

the town is great. let me know what you think

ever see this deleted scene?

edit on 7-2-2018 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Man! Those people wore some serious masks!

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Great movie. I lived in greater Boston for many years . Great place.

Just for accuracy sake The Town is based on Charlestown, not South Boston.

Townies, Charlestown locals were angry at how they were portrayed when it was released. The opening say Charlestown is the bank robbery capital of America which can’t be verified, or possible for Charlestown proper because there is only a hand full of banks in Charlestown proper.

But I can tell you from personal experience there are some serious people whom operate on the wrong side of the law and call Charlestown their home.

The movie Monument Ave with Denis Leary is a good Boston crime drama to check out.

Cool thread OP.

Slante’
edit on 7-2-2018 by Paddyofurniture because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

How have I never even heard of this flick?
Looks great!

Here's a little southern gem I stumbled on the other night...

Vince Vaughn like you've never seen him before...and he does an excellent job!

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Gotta love the Irish.
It's as good evidence of supernatural tampering with human DNA as any.
edit on 7-2-2018 by skunkape23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 11:36 PM
link   

10/10 Masterpiece.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 03:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Paddyofurniture

Townies, Charlestown locals were angry at how they were portrayed when it was released. The opening say Charlestown is the bank robbery capital of America which can’t be verified, or possible for Charlestown proper because there is only a hand full of banks in Charlestown proper.

But I can tell you from personal experience there are some serious people whom operate on the wrong side of the law and call Charlestown their home.

The movie Monument Ave with Denis Leary is a good Boston crime drama to check out.

Cool thread OP.

Slante’

but charlestown is southie. suffolk county.
not really the point though

and they say that charlestown is the robbery capitol cause that is where they originate from.

none of this matters though. the movie is sick and so is the book

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 07:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

originally posted by: Paddyofurniture

Cool thread OP.

Slante’

but charlestown is southie. suffolk county.
not really the point though

and they say that charlestown is the robbery capitol cause that is where they originate from.

none of this matters though. the movie is sick and so is the book

Look, I appreciate you like the movie and I’m not attacking you here but again, for accuracy sake Southie is not Charlestown and Charlestown is not Southie.

It does matter if anyone wants facts. And especially matters to anyone born and raised in either town. I appreciate if you just enjoyed the movie as a fictional account to Netflix and chill to but there is a much more elaborate underlying story.

Both areas are well gentrified at this point but if you were able to turn the clock back to 1985 and walk into Triple O’s Bar in Southie or Sully’s in Charlestown and argue with locals that A Southie kid and a Townie kid are from the same place you would quickly find yourself having a very bad day.

These movies that were made post 1995 protrying the Boston underworld took much of their story basis from likes of The Winterhill gang, Jimmy ( no one ever called him Whitey to his face) Bulger and the north end Italian mob.

If your interested go back and watch the scene when Affleck visits his father in Walpole Prison. When Affleck asks him why he is fighting , he says “ you know how it is, Southie kids always trying to run everything.” That quote is based on truth. Southie kids run with the Southie crew and Townie kids run with the Townie crew in Walpole. There they are like blood and crips on the west coast.

My statement about the opening type screen of “ Charlestown is the bank robbery capital of the US” is also accurate. It’s fiction. Local or state level law enforcement do not track individual statistics about bank or armored car robberies. Never mind number of convicted persons and where their official residence is.

I can tell you that from the 50s thru the 90’s bank and armored car robbery in some circles was a trade ( like being an electrician or a chef) that was honed and perfected and passed down from father to son.

Again I appreciate the OP and love the movie. But you can’t tell me my post “doesn’t matter”.

Another recommendation is the book “Brutal” Written by Kevin “weeksie” Weeks. Jimmy Bulger’s No. 2.

PS. Cool Yolandi photo avatar.

Slante’

edit on 8-2-2018 by Paddyofurniture because: Grammah

edit on 8-2-2018 by Paddyofurniture because: Again, grammah

edit on 8-2-2018 by Paddyofurniture because: Yes again, my grammah

edit on 8-2-2018 by Paddyofurniture because: Yup, grammah

edit on 8-2-2018 by Paddyofurniture because: You got it, my grammah

top topics

join