It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hunchback of Notre Dame play cancelled over racism accusations

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Some students at Ithaca High School were angry that a white actress was chosen to portray Esmeralda in the Hunchback of Notre Dame play, as this particular white girl is the "epitome of whiteness". Esmeralda in the story is Romani. Ironically, these same students would apparently see no problem with Esmeralda being cast with a black actress instead. Just in case that hasn't clicked, Esmeralda isn't black.
Apparently acting is no longer socially acceptable unless a brown or black person does it, otherwise it's "cultural appropriation".
Now the entire play has been cancelled and the school will be choosing and re-casting something else so as to not offend anyone.

The students described the actress as being the “epitome of whiteness,” due to her blonde hair and hazel eyes

The group called on the school to recast the role with some of “the many talented brown and black female students,”

"We want to get a socially conscious director to replace the current director"
Source

Racists.

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 06:26 PM
link   
can't have anything nice with the authoritarian's they have to dictate every aspect of everyone's life for "social justice"

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

Not all of those ladies have dakr hair and dark eyes. Sure, the lighter hair and eyes aren't common, but they aren't impossible, either.

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 06:27 PM
link   

The group called on the school to recast the role with some of “the many talented brown and black female students,” at Ithaca.

so they can play a roma character but the white chick cant?

im so past caring about all this stupid # to tell you the truth

they gonna get a legit gimp to play the hunchback you think?

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Sort of makes you wonder who the understudy is and how butthurt she is to be understudy.

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 06:31 PM
link   

"cultural appropriation" ???

The Hunchback of Notre Dame was written by Victor Hugo, a Frenchman, and takes place in Paris, in a Catholic Church.
Are the complainers French ? Catholic ? Do the complainers even speak french ?

Who is appropriating from whom, exactly ?
edit on 7-2-2018 by M5xaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I hear Notre Damn also has real gold flakes in the helmet paint the football team uses. Surely there's some kind of racism to be found in that they should shut down immediately.

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 06:52 PM
link   

I do agree how silly it is to still be upset of these details for some, maybe many ppl, its is just to show that these messages from these old stories didnt really hit home, all the way at least, because most often than not their message is about acceptance, forgiveness and such that points not into details of petty differences but too realize what is the uniting factors and how important it is.

Indeed even this case can be seen as sign of respect, if it is done in good taste and in tribute to over all message, what does it matter how does the story teller look like then?

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Perhaps the best actress got the job?

I know when I was a kid I tried out for the school plays a bunch of times...It hurt not to be chosen, but I didn't cry "racism" or "sexism." I took my lumps and moved on. Apparently this new world we live in doesn't accept that some people may not be as talented as others in certain areas...we all need to "feel good."

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Let em keep yelling racism
That word and claim gets weaker every time they do....

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Why not!?

Bring out the gimp!

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: trollz
Some students at Ithaca High School were angry that a white actress was chosen to portray Esmeralda in the Hunchback of Notre Dame play, as this particular white girl is the "epitome of whiteness". Esmeralda in the story is Romani.

No, she isn't.

Her mother was a french prostitute. It was never established who her father was. She was stolen by gypsies as a baby and raised by them, which is where the Romani connection comes from.

I think she is described as having olive skin and black hair. This might suggest some Romani in her ancestry, but it could equally be from any number of sources.

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Retards, what's next snow white is a slut and has been sexually abusing dwarves... Oh and she's really white.....

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 02:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Not all of those ladies have dakr hair and dark eyes.

And will they have to look for an amputee to play 'Long John Silver or

Captain Hook

I'm so sick of the whole situation, and find that ALL those that shout

*racism* loudest are actually the racist's because it is them that

find racism everywhere

edit on 8-2-2018 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 03:09 AM
link   
A lot of Romani that are around Europe would pass as white enough to yell at for being white, to most sjws.

I say this from experience as a white guy that has olive skin and dark hair. Then you will run into the occasional sjw that thinks youre more ethnic and wants to bang you because of it, but femanazis are the worst, so thats not really a plus.
edit on 8-2-2018 by pirhanna because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Yes. You're right. But the whole thing is agitation thought anyway. Some people are convinced, and they go on and on about their complaints, but even more people are agitated and turned off altogether or turned on to fight against it by just simply living life as a Republican inside the Republic. They don't burn things down and stab random people. They just live right and occasionally vote right. And it works. The Republic is unstoppoloppable. Republic for the win!

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 03:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: chelsdh

Why not!?

Bring out the gimp!

the gimp is sleeping

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 03:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: pirhanna
A lot of Romani that are around Europe would pass as white enough to yell at for being white, to most sjws.

And the police should carry light meters so they can catch people who yell at whites. If they are yelling at a real white, then they should be considered good judges of skin tone. If they are caught yelling at whites who are not truly white, such as a very light brown or black, then the yeller should be fined for mislabeling and sent to special classes for re-education and instruction on sighting true white people.

And no individual other than a police officer can have a light meter. Only the police will judge all colors. And beat them down accordingly. That was a joke.

The news is really agitating.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Hrm, isn't Esmeralda described as being olive-complected? Maybe those idiots should demand only girls with Mediterranean, Latina or Asian heritage should apply for play the part, since they're the largest majority of olive-complected women.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 03:34 AM
link   
yeah its bs and the right does this crap as well. there is a trump loving radio jock over here that was complaining of minorities and females taking good guy roles in the new star wars and complaining about a black or female james bond. its annoying to hear all the racial crap over and over again. people of different colors have been playing roles of different color since time began its called acting people!!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join