It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DHS cyber chief: Russia 'successfully penetrated' some state voter rolls

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

War is such an nineteenth century concept.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 08:31 PM
link   
a reply to: DJW001

War is infinite. War for profit is ancient.

War is LAME

Sanctions started the last 2 world wars. Trying for a 3rd?

edit on 2 8 2018 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 09:04 PM
link   

The way it should be handled is nothing is said. The attack is studied and hardened against. The source is surveilled and assessed before being neutralized. Other actors are treated similarly and its commented on after the fact once the resolution is complete.

I dont buy it being real if the above isnt close to what happens. Publicizing it at the time amounted to yelling fire in a theater. And only served to ignite conspiracy and undermine Trump without due process.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I may be wrong but I believe some of the earliest hints that something was going on was a warning to states about "bad actors" attempting to hack voting systems. That seems the only way it could have been handled because states control their own voting systems. They needed to be warned and once the cat was out of the bag it was bound to become more commonly known.

Russia is certainly not the only one perusing cyber attacks. But I believe Putin is an intelligent man who learned his lessons well from his time with the KGB. He believes in his home country and wants to see it as great as he can make it. I bear him no ill will for that but I don't want to see the US suffer for his goals.

We as a country need to be aware of the risks we face. I have to trust that the agencies and officials charged with protecting us are doing their best to do so. I am not blind, I know there are always going to be people at every level, that are lazy, crooked, deceitful, crazy, and whatever other human shortcoming you can imagine.

This is true for Republicans and Democrats.

In the end we have to trust our flawed fellow human beings and the flawed political system until we are able to do better. To continue to allow ourselves to be divide by partisanship, and hatred and allowing the US to be weakened is not a good choice. I don't want that.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: villagesmithie

I saw it with Bush on another foot.

Nope. No trust. Jobs in government dont need trust, they need transparency. The FBI and DOJ may have criminal elements that orchestrated this whole deception.

I use that word freely now since no charges or evidence ever came up showing collusion or hacking.

So.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Absolutely. What do you purpose? That everything done by anyone be revealed? What if that endangers others? What if that endangers our goals? Transparency to you is transparency to everyone, include those who do not wish you well.

These are tough choices and at some point you have to trust. You have to trust the people you put in power. or... you have to trust that the system we create has a system of checks and balances in place that will expose the flawed among us.

Trust is hard.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 10:38 PM
link   

sure but not under circumstances that merit distrust, like lies on FISA warrants, IRS and the FBI targeting people based on personal political bias, and so on.

The way we have been lied to and strung along with all this merits distrust.

I look forward to stories of people within government doing the right thing. I always make room for the good politicians and staff.

Unfortunately, this Russia nonsense is just bad government from malaligned motives.

We dont need this hysteria to revamp our cyber security.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 10:47 PM
link   

The worst lies come from those we those we trust.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 02:33 AM
link   

So this proves security of voter roles leaves a lot to be desired ??????????

From whom did they get the information on how to access the voter rolls?

who assisted/facilitated the Russian access to them?

Why was security so inadequate in the first place knowing a foreign power could break in, grab the voter rolls and start contacting voters.

Is it not some authorities job to keep the voters rolls secure? Has someone in that authority been forced to resign due to incompetence in their ability to keep American voter rolls secure?

Surely to christ its not going to another " no one could have foreseen this might happen" type response is it?

What was the Russian plan to for making use of the data?

How were they going to use the voter rolls to corrupt voters into voting the way the Russians wanted them to?

How were the Russians going to ensure they got what they paid from the voter.

How much money did the Russians pay out to get knowledge of the voter security system.?

Because the focus has been on the actions of the Russians and not on the incompetents who are ultimately responsible for the security failure, it sounds like BS from here to kingdom come to me.

edit on 9-2-2018 by Azureblue because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Deflect, deflect, deflect. The routine's getting old.
Make a valid point for once.

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Painterz
Yeah, electronic voting machines are crazy things to use.

And hey, unsurprisingly some ats members know better than the dhs. No Russian involvement! Despite every US agency saying there was Russian interference, despite mountains of evidence, despite dozens of European intelligence agencies saying there was interference...

MOUNTAIN of evidence? where? If there was MOUNTAINS of evidence then why isn't anyone being arrested? Are you confusing Evidence with Speculation? Because there is definitely MOUNTAINS of speculation.

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
H.I.C. Chairman Devin Nunes said today that his committee repeatedly warned President Obama about Russian Interference, but he ignored them. Was frustrating.

so Obama putting sanctions on Russia is called "ignoring interference".....got it

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: jidnum

originally posted by: Painterz
Yeah, electronic voting machines are crazy things to use.

And hey, unsurprisingly some ats members know better than the dhs. No Russian involvement! Despite every US agency saying there was Russian interference, despite mountains of evidence, despite dozens of European intelligence agencies saying there was interference...

MOUNTAIN of evidence? where? If there was MOUNTAINS of evidence then why isn't anyone being arrested? Are you confusing Evidence with Speculation? Because there is definitely MOUNTAINS of speculation.

The United States cannot arrest foreign hackers when they are not on American soil. Unlike Russia, we do not try people in absentia and send out assassins to liquidate them. At least, we didn't used to.

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 10:14 PM
link   

First of all, all you have to do is call Pizza Hut delivery, and wait for the delivery driver to arrive at your front gate and you got your pizza and the next US president.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 11:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Question: when this happened, why was it not addressed at the time?

The same people who ignored or ignored Russia's Cyberspace attacks and propaganda campaign in the Ukraine, now expected us all to believe Trump is a Putin puppet. I can't stress enough how little credibility the perpetrators of McCarthyism 2.0 have in light of their actions. Beyond their sudden change of heart concerning Russia, there own grand delusions concerning Trump colluding with Putin does unspoken harm. The unspoken harm is that people will ignore genuine issues like Cyberspace in the wake of political paranoia and insanity.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: xpert11

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Question: when this happened, why was it not addressed at the time?

The same people who ignored or ignored Russia's Cyberspace attacks and propaganda campaign in the Ukraine, now expected us all to believe Trump is a Putin puppet. I can't stress enough how little credibility the perpetrators of McCarthyism 2.0 have in light of their actions. Beyond their sudden change of heart concerning Russia, there own grand delusions concerning Trump colluding with Putin does unspoken harm. The unspoken harm is that people will ignore genuine issues like Cyberspace in the wake of political paranoia and insanity.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

As one of the members who consistently called out Russian cyber warfare and disinformation during the Russian invasion of Ukraine, I can assure you that I agree with the intelligence assessments of the Trump appointed directors of the FBI, CIA, and other agencies. Trump' s continual attempt to deny Russia's interference in our internal politics is extremely unsettling. McCarthy was a fanatic, but there really were communists spying on us.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 02:49 AM
link   
a reply to: DJW001

You are acting as a concerned citizen. Instead of accurate reporting on matters like Russia's Cyber capabilities, the anti Trump fake news media focusing on using McCarthyism 2.0 in order to achieve their aims. Suffice to say, these media outlets are not interested in fostering debate in a informed society. I do respect that you have taken a well thought out position in a very poloarised U.S. political environment.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 02:54 AM
link   

I am Calling BS on that Report , Where is the HARD Evidence to Prove it ? Hearsay is Just Hearsay .......

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 06:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

I am Calling BS on that Report , Where is the HARD Evidence to Prove it ? Hearsay is Just Hearsay .......

It's classified. Congress is putting short term partisan gains ahead of national security. That is completely unacceptable. It is also what Trump has accused the Obama administration of doing. We need to drain the swamp, starting with Congressional Republicans. We need strong, independent candidates with no allegiance to either party, just the well being of the people of the United States and the institutions they rely on.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 06:26 AM
link   
a reply to: xpert11

ou are acting as a concerned citizen. Instead of accurate reporting on matters like Russia's Cyber capabilities, the anti Trump fake news media focusing on using McCarthyism 2.0 in order to achieve their aims.

Which is it? Are the Russians playing games with our cyber infrastructure, or is it all just "McCathyism 2.0?" Trump wants you to believe that Russia is as innocent as driven Siberian snow. He should be leading the charge, not opposing it.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join