It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DHS cyber chief: Russia 'successfully penetrated' some state voter rolls

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 08:11 AM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

Exhibit a: I didn't claim it was evidence

Exhibit b: I said I had seen ENOUGH EVIDANCE FOR MEto continue to watch this story. (true) Notice "FOR ME" if you don't believe it that's fine. I want to see our country protected. Weather there is any thing to this particular story or not I believe we still need to consider the possibility.

Exhibit c: What are you looking for evidence for? Do you believe that Russian hackers don't exist? I'm pretty sure they do. Do you want evidence that they tried to hack our elections? That is still being debated and the debate is being clouded by the political connections. No, I have no proof but I have no doubt that there are those out there who would try it if they can. Considering it a probability and preparing for I think is prudent.

Exhibit d: Yea, that's kind of an overreaction.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Wow Russian hackers must be incredibly sad. They got ahold of voter rolls something that many states makes public. It's like saying they got ahold of local businesses telephone number.

You guys are being suckered. Notice the key word Russians had gotton access to voter rolls. Essentially what's being argued here is voter rolls should not be public information. Not sure what damage the Russians could possibly do with a lit of voters unless they planed to have the FSB visit them.

Many people don't realize that records with a person's voting history are public record, so are mail-in ballot requests. Campaigns get and use that data to target frequent voters, or those requested a mail ballot because they are likely to vote.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: villagesmithie
a reply to: tadaman

In your world it's been debunked. If you're sure of yourself and your sources, you have nothing to worry about.

Personally I have seen plenty of evidence of Russian cyber espionage to leave it on my watch list.

I have no doubt Russia tried to and likely was able to do some things to our election process. And becasue of that, we need to find ways to protect our systems better. Do you believe that ONLY Russia was trying to do this? And do you think that Russia is the only country that does this kind of thing? Do you believe the USA is capable of trying to influence another countries election?

I ask these questions not to detract from the seriousness of Russian influence, but to put this into perspective. It wasn't some fluke, one time thing, it's the norm. It's just how the world works today. Have you ever heard of Cuba?

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: villagesmithie

Im not even asking for proof. I want to see the evidence you saw that convinced you so soundly.

The claim made was that Russians changed voter registration polls.

What is the mystery if you cant provide it?
I dont agree with your opinion, why do you blame me?

Is it unreasonable on my part to ask for evidence that is the basis of these accusations?

Since its a cyber crime,lets see the event logs, the ISP logs and records of illegal access gained by Russian hackers.

No one is advocating for less cyber security.

I am asking what was done? Thats the first step in knowing how to FIX the issue.

All things that fall within the realm of reason for me to ask what they are.

If you dont know, then perhaps you are being premature in your judgement. I say this because you havent actually shared what it is exactly that convinces you so soundly.

What you posted was a timeline of events from an editable wiki page, documenting investigations and accusations made.

There is no evidence, which is what I asked for.

edit on 2 8 2018 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 10:09 AM
link   
generic terms like "influenced" and "collusion" mean nothing to me, I want specifics of what was done and how it influenced,without those specifics this doesn`t concern me one bit. without the details and specifics generic terms like "influenced" could cover anything including legal paid political advertising.

every political post on the internet would fall under the definition of "influence".

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 10:17 AM
link   
uh oh. Dems are already lining up the excuse the Russians are going to make them lose the midterms.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

probably through a wifi throughout space and time. If I remember correctly, it was not connected to the web nor the internet. How does one hack without the interwebs?

Food for a thought

edit on th2018000000Thursdayth000000Thu, 08 Feb 2018 12:01:49 -0600fAmerica/ChicagoThu, 08 Feb 2018 12:01:49 -0600 by SoulSurfer because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

Is that it?

Honestly Im at work in between jobs posting and didnt see it. Thats very different from CHANGING voter rolls as was claimed here.

You are right. Those are public knowledge. People still buy them out of ignorance.

My old boss in the petition and voter registration business told me an associate once sold publicly available voter registration rolls to a person for over a million dollars.

This is absurd.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Ah now we're getting somewhere. You're asking me to provide evidence for a claim I didn't make.

The claim made was that Russians changed voter registration polls.

Also from the article.

Officials told NBC there is no evidence any of the voter rolls were altered in any way.

Imagine my confusion.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
Easy fix. Voter ID and paper ballots. Boom.

How bout a voter receipt that gets mailed to the voter commission by the voter after verifying the info along with copy of the state id.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: bluechevytree
generic terms like "influenced" and "collusion" mean nothing to me, I want specifics of what was done and how it influenced,without those specifics this doesn`t concern me one bit. without the details and specifics generic terms like "influenced" could cover anything including legal paid political advertising.

every political post on the internet would fall under the definition of "influence".

Add "interfered" to that list. What exactly is that supposed to mean?

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem

Mexico was very effective. They plan on doing even better in the future, especially in California

Yep, pretty soon out here all that a foreign national will have to do to "successfully penetrate" the voter rolls is apply for a driver's licence.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: underpass61

Mexico was very effective. They plan on doing even better in the future, especially in California

Yep, pretty soon out here all that a foreign national will have to do to "successfully penetrate" the voter rolls is apply for a driver's licence.

Yep, because we Nordamericanos are so stupid we would never think to put a red stripe on drivers licenses issued without adequate documentation.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001

Yep, because we Nordamericanos are so stupid we would never think to put a red stripe on drivers licenses issued without adequate documentation.

Actually, we're so stupid we're issuing driver's licenses to people who in literally any other country would be kicked out on their a$$.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001

Actually, we're so stupid we're issuing driver's licenses to people who in literally any other country would be kicked out on their a$$.

The reason why we are issuing drivers licenses to people is to assure that the traffic on the road is safe. Would you prefer unlicensed, unsafe traffic?

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: villagesmithie

LOL... Several states noted that the DHS themselves tried to hack their electoral systems.

Secretary of State: Department of Homeland Security “hacked” Indiana electoral system

But here is the thing, mostly left-wing websites have been claiming that the "attempted hacks" were being done by Russia believing what Obama's DHS had been telling them...

More than 20 states have faced major election hacking attempts, DHS says

DHS officials: 21 states potentially targeted by Russia hackers pre-election

But then again, states began realizing who was truly trying to hack their election systems...

By: Aaron Diamant
Updated: Dec 16, 2016 - 8:54 AM

ATLANTA - Channel 2 Investigative Reporter Aaron Diamant has learned two more states’ election agencies have confirmed suspected cyberattacks linked to the same U.S. Department of Homeland Security IP address as last month’s massive attack in Georgia.

The two states reporting the suspected cyberattacks were West Virginia and Kentucky.

"We need somebody to dig down into this story and figure out exactly what happened," said Georgia Secretary of State Brian Kemp.

In the past week, the Georgia Secretary of State’s Office has confirmed 10 separate cyberattacks on its network over the past 10 months that were traced back to DHS addresses.

More states confirm suspected cyberattacks sourced to DHS

Indiana is the newest state to accuse the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) of trying to hack its state electoral system.

The state’s IT team claimed that a DHS IP address repeatedly scanned Indiana’s system. The attempted hacks occurred tens of thousands of times over a period of 46 days, beginning while Vice President Mike Pence was still the governor of Indiana.

“We know that between November 1 and December 16, we were scanned with about 14,800 scans, nearly 15,000 different times,” DHS Indiana Secretary of State Connie Lawson told The Daily Caller.

Like Georgia, Indiana did not give DHS permission to scan.

In diana joins Idaho in claiming DHS tried to hack their election systems

The DHS under the Obama administration even asked states to allow them control over their electoral systems...

(CNSNews.com) – Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson's suggestion that state and local voting systems be designated aspieces of critical infrastructure so that the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) can protect them from hackers is unconstitutional and would create a dangerous precedent, legal experts said.

“The Department of Homeland Security does not have the legal authority to interfere with states’ election systems without their permission,” University of California/Berkeley School of Law Professor John Yoo told CNSNews.com.

Legal Experts: Allowing DHS to Secure Elections Would Set a Dangerous Precedent

That is the true reason for all these "hacked claims". The Obama administration was working on another "insurance policy" so that Hillary would win. That's the truth, the Obama administration was trying to get control over the election systems in many states. The same way that Obama set the IRS to target conservative groups, the Obama administration and the people he implanted throughout several agencies were all showing signs of tyrants in the making.

The left, in your blind stupidity, have been claiming that President Trump is a tyrant for wanting to stop all the crime spilling from south of the border, meanwhile the Obama administration had been labeling Americans who lean to the right in politics as "possible extremists/possible terrorists". The left on overall never seem able to distinguish who is truly trying to be a tyrant, or who is trying to MAGA...

edit on 8-2-2018 by ElectricUniverse because: add and correct comment.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: DJW001

I would prefer people respecting and abiding by ouir legal immigration laws.
edit on 2 8 2018 by underpass61 because: (no reason given)

edit on 2 8 2018 by underpass61 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I honestly hope that all this Russian tampering BS results in higher awareness and stricter oversight on a federal level. States like California would have their vote tallies scrutinized to death. As usual the shortsighted hyperventilating democrats can't even see the consequences they face down the line.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: underpass61

One thing most are quick to forget.

These accusations are essentially an act of war by Russia if true.

IF they could be proven, regardless of national consequences, internationally they would mean war or sanctions that could lead to war. ALREADY sanctions were either imposed or proposed again over this very issue. I forget.

This could be dangerous and predicted territory. We should be careful with what concessions we give.

Did Russia use more numerous, or more sophisticated attacks than the usual? Compared to China or another foreign state?

What does this translate into geopolitically?

Also, since when does an opinion grant infinite concessions? These are serious accusations. Feeling like levying them is not good enough of a reason to get a pass from me. I want to know why or why I am being lied to.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join