It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO or possible rocket over Oakland, CA?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Hello ATS!

I'm hoping anyone knowledgable about rockets can help explain what I saw, or whether there are any Bay Area ATSers who saw what I saw last night.

I realize the SpaceX launch happened yesterday as well, but this occurred at 6:30pm PST.

I was admiring Orion in a clear, cloudless sky, looking east. I noticed a star that was obscured by what looked like a cloud. It could also be described as a fuzzy star with a halo. This star was stationary as I watched it for a moment considering that it could possible be a plane flying towards me, or if a rocket flying towards me, that would account for the 'cloud' appearing to surround it.
There were no blinking or navigational lights.

After a moment or two, however, it began traveling south to north (right to left) for a good 5 seconds. No lights, and the 'cloud' obscuring it did not change shape, elongate, etc, as you would expect to see with a rocket which as turned. No contrail or anything like that. Just this fuzzy star surrounded by its own little cloud.

After another good 5 seconds it grew brighter, clearer, and the cloud turned into a conical shape behind it, as you would see behind a rocket. It continued its trajectory for another 10+ seconds and vanished. It didn't fade away in the distance or change direction. Just disappeared with no trace of a contrail or anything.

What confuses me is that when it began to move it's 'cloud' didn't change shape indicating a turning rocket that had until that point appeared stationary as it moved towards me.
And when the cone developed on the same trajectory the whole shebang just disappeared. Is this typical behavior for a rocket?

I apologize for the very poor quality of this image. It's a screenshot of the only 2 seconds of video I was able to capture. It was a disaster, and one of those situations in which you realize you weren't recording as long as you thought you were.
The streetlamp on the right affected the focus of my phone and the zoom produced a very poor capture. But you can make it out with it's conical 'exhaust', dead center in the image. Phone lines to the right, roof to the left.
I'm posting it more to show that it happened, and it's general shape and placement in the sky and not really as evidence of anything other than that.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: CajunMetal

It was SpaceX. The second stage stayed in orbit until yesterday evening before it fired the engine and headed out.

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Did you took that picture on a microwave?

Lol. Just kidding.

Could be an satellite reflecting sunlight.

NVMD.
edit on 7/2/2018 by vinifalou because: zaph got first

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   

From your picture, it looks like a comet. Obviously that wasn't it, but if it was the way you explained it, it was most likely trash, a piece of Space X, or a meteorite that came through the atmosphere and burned up before it could make landfall. At least it was something cool that you got to witness.
edit on 7-2-2018 by Thirty6BelowZero because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

It was SpaceX. The second stage stayed in orbit until yesterday evening before it fired the engine and headed out.

Crazy! It’s cool I was looking up right at that moment, thanks!

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: vinifalou

Did you took that picture on a microwave?

Lol. Just kidding.

Could be an satellite reflecting sunlight.

NVMD.

Right?! I actually tried to photograph it after the video and the streetlight ruined my focus plus my flash went off. Figured, right? Especially when people only seem to get these grainy pics.

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Check out spaceweather.com for a great color photo on their main page.

At least no reports of people crashing their cars this time screaming "UFO!!!"

new topics

top topics

join