It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Denmark poised to ban Islamic full-face veils

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: testingtesting

They should be free to wear it or not wear it.
Do you support us banning it because Iran wants to force people to wear it?.

No, but I don't think you should celebrate it either. Women are attempting to liberate themselves from oppressive, fundamentalist restraint, and comfortable westerners are donning the exact things they are trying to liberate themselves from. Women in the west should be burning hijabs in support of the oppressed sisters.

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Lagomorphe

I have heard of that I'm sure it burnt down years back.

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

I agree as a symbol against oppression just like women did by burning the bra but women still wear bras.
It is the idea of oppression of any kind we should fight but banning which is essentially cultural clothing is not the way forward.

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: testingtesting

I have heard of that I'm sure it burnt down years back.

Not surprised... insurance scam probably, it was run by some pretty dodgy people at the time!

Had some great times in Bradford though and definately miss a decent Vindaloo over here in France.

I’m posh and originally from Harrogate by the way... not posh really as Harrogate has its poo holes too and I was brought up in one of them...

Warmest

Lags

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Plus I bet those women in Iran marching are for the choice to wear it not to ban it.

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 11:43 AM
link   

It's in a bad way tbh the centre iz offering free rent for a year and everytime I walk around another shop or pub has shut.
Lack of investment for years....

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: testingtesting

Plus I bet those women in Iran marching are for the choice to wear it not to ban it.

Among other things. The point is, we spend so much time defending the right of women to wear burkas, but not enough defending the right of women to not wear burkas.

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I like all the people advocating for the government to tell more people what to do.

Yay government!

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 11:52 AM
link   

We should fight for freedom of choice across the board.

Government nor religion should not tell us how to dress.
Hopefully the women in Iran will help change their governments thinking.

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Thinking more conspiracy like I wonder when it will be illegal to wear anti surveillance clothing that is an upcoming market?.

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 11:57 AM
link   
On one hand I think it's terrible that any woman should feel compelled to cover her face for religious or cultural reasons.

On the other I don't think you improve womens rights by legislating what women can and can't wear.

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I dont get how the guberment are the bad in this for stating an item can not be worn, but the religion that demands you must wear something gets a free pass.

Which is worse being told you must not do something (laws) or being forced to wear something (prisoners?)

My own opinion is all religion should be confined to the history books, to me (not trying to convince anyone) we are surely aware it is little more than blind faith.

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I like all the people advocating for the government to tell more people what to do.

Yay government!

its not an advocation for the government to tell people what to do, its the enforcement of laws in a country being respected by its constituents.

when i go to Muslim countries, you bet your sweet tush I follow their laws. i recall being scolded and shouted at by locals in an Arab muslim country after my tattoos were revealed when i removed a jacket i was wearing... and yea, in 'dry' muslim countries, i never drink alcohol.

there should be no double standard. especially when this instance its a question of crime and safety, whereas the laws imposed by Muslim countries are purely religious and social-political... yet i follow them still.

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

What law is not being followed in Denmark?

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Christosterone

Meh.

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
a reply to: odzeandennz

What law is not being followed in Denmark?

which laws? i never mentioned a country, not one.
im implying that if this law is passed then it would be no different than any person going to any country and having to follow the law.

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
its not an advocation for the government to tell people what to do, its the enforcement of laws in a country being respected by its constituents.

Except they are passing a law, not advocating the enforcement of existing ones.

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Christosterone

The Danish government is poised to become the next European country to introduce a ban on Islamic full-face coverings in public places.

Some people are required to wear face masks to protect the public health.

If they have a contagious disease, that spreads by respiration, they are required to cover their faces with these "medical" face masks, before being allowed to go out in public.

So...there's a bit of a problem with this ban.

Of course, most of the "medical face masks" are "White and Light Blue" in color, while most of the "Islamic Face Masks" are black.

So, maybe the law will have to specify what color face mask is allowed...etc..

Not to forget, when it gets really cold, it's almost a necessity to cover up the head and face completely at times just to survive outside.

edit on 7-2-2018 by AMPTAH because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMNOTYOU
I agree w/ you.
How does a society claming to be free decide to outlaw certain garb, especially garb representative of ones religious beliefs?

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Do the Danes have a 1st amendment?

I see plenty burka babes here in HK. Seen them at an ATM but not in a bank.

Kinda stupid to wear head to foot black when it's a sunny 28C and 95% H, but hey..Gotta do what ya gotta do, right?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join