It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's a Dud

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

Do you disagree that the term "dud" is a commonly-used term?

Based on the evidence I provided you in my prior post, I would say that "dud" is a term that is not commonly used within media. To see it show up several times in one day, when prior to that day the best we saw was once a month (if that) seems to support my assertion.

If you have other evidence, Im happy to look at it, though.

RE: the propaganda thing...there isn't some critical mass for when opinions become propaganda. That isn't how it works. Rather than act like a child and post links to definitions, I will just call your attention to your definition of choice, using your online dictionary of choice. The only thresh hold is that its misleading and of a political nature. To me, a chorus of media all using the exact same, rarely used words represents the best evidence that it is propaganda that I have seen.

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: network dude

Sorry you're right. I misspoke. Your statements weren't empirical they were just dumb.

It's good that you are starting to comprehend your ignorance. The first step in a long and painful process.

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Based on the evidence I provided you in my prior post, I would say that "dud" is a term that is not commonly used within media. To see it show up several times in one day, when prior to that day the best we saw was once a month (if that) seems to support my assertion.

The google search you provided shows that the term has been used many times by the media and for you to prove the usage of the term in this case is a concerted propaganda effort would require much more evidence on your part, or anyone else trying to make such a case.

Also, I did not say the use of the term in just the media.

Regardless, you're contradicting yourself because in one post you say it supports your assertion that it showed up several times in one day in media reports but you also said this:

RE: how many outlets have to repeat for it to be propaganda....just 1. Just 1 needs to be the mouthpiece for the daily talking points about a topic. More outlets is simply more propaganda.

So it would seem that your argument/approach is irrelevant. According to this standard, almost anything and everything can be considered propaganda as long as you have one example and how many times it has been parroted in the media is irrelevant.

The only thresh hold is that its misleading and of a political nature.

How is the use of the term "dud" misleading? It is correct.

Even other members, who are making claims similar to yours, are admitting the memo had to be backed-up with other information to have any real weight.

This memo was hyped by real propaganda, with real misleading assertions, yet we are concerned that the media used a factual term to describe it?

To me, a chorus of media all using the exact same, rarely used words represents the best evidence that it is propaganda that I have seen.

A handful of examples of media outlets using an appropriate term is not indicative of "all" the media.

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 03:05 PM
link   

RE: how many outlets have to repeat for it to be propaganda....just 1. Just 1 needs to be the mouthpiece for the daily talking points about a topic. More outlets is simply more propaganda

Just one. Good. Now we can all agree that Fox news is straight up propaganda.

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

is it your position that the entire memo is garbage and all it's contents should be ignored? And please, don't feel like you need to elaborate IN ANY WAY to answer that.

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 03:15 PM
link   

is it your position that the entire memo is garbage and all it's contents should be ignored?

No. I've never said it should be ignored. Only expanded upon and verified before people jump to illogical conclusions.

And please, don't feel like you need to elaborate IN ANY WAY to answer that.

Ok. I kept it easy for ya. I know how hard it can be for some to understand such simple things.

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 03:28 PM
link   

This is a difficult post to reply to. Mostly because you are just not following along with what i am saying. Or something.

I am going to lay it out for you one last time. If you don't get it, fine. Ill just forget about it, because it doesn't mean that much to me:

- prior to this week, the use of "dud" in political articles over the prior 117 years never, not once, met more than 1 per day. It was typical to see no more than 1 time per month. Over the last 72 hours, the use of the word "dud" has literally exploded with a few dozen reports. Add to this: prior to the last few days, most uses of the term "dud" related to firearms, or other items that are meant to explode. Usage in a political sense has been next to nothing prior to that. If you can find evidence that disputes this, please share.

- propaganda has a definition that was not decided on by you and I. If i use that definition, i am led to believe that any organization that misleads for political gain is an organization employing propaganda.

I am not going to dispute your assertion that the memo, without evidence, is meaningless. I am merely asserting that when "all" media (ill use quotation marks so maybe you won't be insufferable and nitpicky about my choice of a minor hyperbole) suddenly decides to use a word that is demonstrably novel, it indicates that they are reading the same source material. Or "talking points", if you will.

What makes it misleading? The fact that calling it a "dud" is opinion being stated as fact. To grab just a couple examples:

Here is the LA Times using the term only in their headline, but nowhere do they quote anyone using the term (i.e., its an opinion that they are laying claim to:

The Nunes memo is a dud. It's still useful to Trump.

www.latimes.com...

Here is US News and World Report, again not including the term in their story. But its in the by line:

The much-hyped Republican memo about abuses in the Russia investigation is a big dud.

www.usnews.com...

Here we have WaPo at least attributing the term to someone inside their story (which, again, uses the term in their headline):

Word seems to be leaking out of the White House that the memo we've been talking about all week could be, in the words of Axios's Jonathan Swan, “a dud.” And the New York Times's Maggie Haberman seems to be hearing the same thing.

www.washingtonpost.com...

So let me ask you this: if its not propaganda...what would you call it when the majority of news agencies use the exact same novel word to describe something?

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

is it your position that the entire memo is garbage and all it's contents should be ignored?

No. I've never said it should be ignored. Only expanded upon and verified before people jump to illogical conclusions.

And please, don't feel like you need to elaborate IN ANY WAY to answer that.

Ok. I kept it easy for ya. I know how hard it can be for some to understand such simple things.

thanks so much for keeping it simple.

that makes your position much clearer than before. it's the same way I feel amazingly enough. I just look forward to the results.

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Aren’t the first two media links you included opinion pieces? So... that would make them opinions and not facts.

Guess they could have used the word “nothingburger’. That word has been used a lot lately, on both sides.

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
You are correct. They will probably never be convicted of anything.

“PATIENCE YOU MUST HAVE my young padawan”. – Yoda

Hang onto yer hat cowboy and "Keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle at all times" and...

"Buckle up, we're going where we've never gone before" ~ Mark Taylor

Florida Firefighter Mark Taylor predicts that two ex-presidents will die and two will face jail time as divine retribution...

Dudes been right every time so far, nearly everything God told him is coming to pass...

In April 2011 Mark Taylor received a word from the Lord about the future of America...

In that powerful prophecy, God said Donald Trump had been chosen to lead the United States of America to "bring honor, respect and restoration." Now that it's obvious much of what Taylor prophesied has come to pass, "God has performed everything He said He was going to do," Taylor said.

Taylor and Wiles then discussed the likelihood there will be tribunals convened in which divine justice will be meted out. They agreed the Lord was telling them these tribunals would be of the kind not seen since the Nuremberg Trials of former Nazi regime leaders after World War II. "What I am actually hearing is that these tribunals will make Nuremberg look like a cake walk because this corruption goes so deep and it goes worldwide because the Clinton Foundation goes worldwide," Taylor said. "I think it's going to be on an international level."

'Firefighter Prophet' Updates His Vision for Donald Trump's Presidency

But Taylor has yet one more prophecy he reveals to Hunter in the interview. “It’s called ‘The Evil Crew of 32,” says Taylor:

“The spirit of God says ‘two will be taken and three will be shaken. While I will remove two from the evil crew of 32, and the other three shall be shaken to the core. The 32 years they have altogether served and empowered that entity called Bael, and the covenant they had holding up this house with the Illuminati and the New World Order shall come crumbling down. For when the first one is taken, it will be a sign that the New World Order shall die. When the second one is taken, it will be a sign that anyone calling himself ‘mine’ but comes against my Israel, sympathizing with their enemies will not be tolerated. The three that will be shaken will be a sign that no one is above the most high God, not even those that hold the highest offices in the land.

Yes, even the Supreme Court will be shaken. Do not fear, America, when you see these things manifesting, for these things must come to pass. I will clean up the darkness and it will usher in my light. For I have America in my hand.”

The 32 represents the 32 years the five former living presidents of the United States served as “leaders.” Taylor’s prophecy is interesting, to say the least – take from it what you will, but he says two will be removed from the face of the earth and the other three will be “shaken.”

Author Of 'Trump Prophecies' Reveals TWO NEW Prophecies In Interview

‘Prophet’ Mark Taylor: Obama Will Be Imprisoned For Treason And Three Supreme Court Justices Will Be Indicted

edit on 2.7.2018 by Murgatroid because: Felt like it...

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
ONLY the Special Counsel that the White House signed-off on yesterday can help us now.

Jeff Sessions is our (the USA's) only hope!

That's USA completely screwed then

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

The worst part of it all, honestly.

Its bad enough that they each have their own talking points to repeat ad nauseum. But then when some words are usurped and used as a weapon to troll with....

Im pretty thankful that the snowflake thing has mostly died down.

ETA: sorry...ignored your first point....

Im not claiming that any of it is fact. Im claiming that the repetitive use of words is an age old trick. We call them "talking points", and if i were interested I could pull up some examples of how talking points are rolled out daily to the masses via the various media outlets.

Its what is known in propaganda as "managing the news".

edit on 2/7/2018 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Nvm.

It's clear the responses of all posters, and references, are beyond your ability to understand.
Critical thinking is critical....
edit on 7-2-2018 by M5xaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 09:15 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

My apologies enlightened, but didn't you swing a little to the left in the past? If so it is a beautiful thing to see someone that was once polarized, starting to demonize the entire system for being corrupt. Realizing that one side is just as corrupt as the other brings a certain amount of freedom. All politicians take turns pretending to be the good cop versus the bad cop with we sheep being the loser time and time again.

If you have always been centric, again my apologies. If not, fricken sweet. Time to corrupt the rest of this board. Once we can stop falling for this dog and pony show EVERY SINGLE TIME, then we can start changing things.

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 10:26 PM
link   

This is a difficult post to reply to. Mostly because you are just not following along with what i am saying. Or something.

I am following just fine. The problem is as I stated before. Anything and everything could be considered propaganda with that sort of criteria.

Here is a link to a google search in which the term "fell short" was referenced in regards to the GOP memo:

www.google.com... 8

There are also a handful of examples from the media there as well that I could quote, but I think you get the picture. Now the question becomes is this also a sign of propaganda?

No, it's not.

We cannot confuse common use of a term in certain situations or circumstances with that of organized propaganda. If you do, everything becomes propaganda and that just makes the meaning and gravity of propaganda itself a "dud".

What makes it misleading? The fact that calling it a "dud" is opinion being stated as fact.

2 of your links are opinion pieces, which would mean they are stating it as opinion, and the other link leaves it open as a question and up to speculation.

If this is what people call propaganda, people would # their pants if they ever stumbled across the real deal.

So let me ask you this: if its not propaganda...what would you call it when the majority of news agencies use the exact same novel word to describe something?

Are you using minor hyperbole again? As to not further the idea that I am knit-picky and intolerable, I will not point it out. I'm sure you will catch it.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 02:35 AM
link   

No, it's not.

It indeed is.

When you can come up with a stance that doesn't revolve around 'because I said so,' be sure to post it.

Otherwise, take it up with Webster.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Opinion or not....its called managing the news and is a known propaganda technique.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 07:01 AM
link   
LoL! A dud? Only delusional democrats would think such a thing, and that is only due to their detachment from reality.
High crimes at best, but probably treason.
edit on 8-2-2018 by craterman because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-2-2018 by craterman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 07:10 AM
link   
a reply to: craterman

Yeah ...okay.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 07:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

No, it's not.

It indeed is.

When you can come up with a stance that doesn't revolve around 'because I said so,' be sure to post it.

Otherwise, take it up with Webster.

There was a lot more to my post than what you quoted. So to say my position is 'because I said so' is completely dishonest.

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Opinion or not....its called managing the news and is a known propaganda technique.

It is a known propaganda technique, but you do not know if that was implemented in this case here.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join