It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elon Musk says SpaceX to focus on BFR following Falcon Heavy launch

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 09:24 PM
link   
BFR (aka “big f*cking rocket,”) is SpaceX's next ambitious project immediately announced after today's historic launch of the Falcon Heavy. Can you believe it, ATS? The launch/landing pad(s) are probably still hot and Elon Musk is already looking into his next big vision. The BFR is just that

“There are a lot of uncertainties around this program, but it is going to be our focus,” Musk said on a press call following Falcon Heavy’s launch. “We’re almost done with Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy. After block 5 [the current revision of the Falcon 9] we won’t be doing any more with Falcon 9 or Falcon Heavy, and with Dragon probably after Dragon Two [the Crew capsule currently being developed].”

Musk added that of BFR’s design challenges, “the ship part is by far the hardest, because that’s going to come in from super-orbital velocity” around planets including Mars, which is “way harder than coming in from orbit.”

It might be surprising to learn that Musk considers the Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy essentially fixed in terms of their design and development at this stage, but he clarified later that their booster-based tech is essentially something that SpaceX understands well now.

“The booster, I think — I don’t want to get complacent, but I think we understand reusable boosters,” Musk said. “Reusable spaceships, that’s the hard part. We’ll go to low-Earth orbit first, but we can go to the moon shortly after that.”

SO, his plan with the BFR is to build a reusable rocket? Cool. There aren't too many specifics in this article but I think ATS gets it. Elon Musk is s true visionary...My only question is.....Where has he been all this time? I'm just glad that someone is finally stepping up to the plate. I guess Bezos is up next.

techcrunch.com...

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

It's a breath of fresh air to see someone taking the initiative when it comes to space.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 10:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99

It's a breath of fresh air to see someone taking the initiative when it comes to space.

Yes! Musk & co are taking huge chances and advancing humans by huge leaps!
edit on 6-2-2018 by lostbook because: word change

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 11:05 PM
link   
THe BFR sounds really awesome if Elon can pull it off. This video does a pretty good Job covering the details of the BFR.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I think few people realize how significant and amazing all of this is. SpaceX and especially the development of a super heavy launch vehicle wouldn’t have been possible anywhere else. Not Europe, not Russia, China or anywhere else. Its not just Elon Musk, its also the entire social fabric of the US that allows for private enterprise comparatively free of crippling government regulations and oversight. The result is not only a launch system that works, its development and more importantly operating cost are ridiculously low compared to what government funded agencies have been able to come up with.
Going forward, the US should embrace the new reality and take a long hard look at the government funded launch systems.

top topics

join