It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sheriff's Disturbing Comments Caught On Body Cam

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Sheriff's Disturbing Comments Caught On Body Cam

SPARTA, Tenn. - Body camera video from the aftermath of a deadly officer-involved shooting has raised new questions about what happened.

Video obtained by NewsChannel 5 Investigates shows the White County Sheriff discussing his order to use deadly force with another deputy.

The sheriff didn't know he was being recorded at the time of the comments.

Last April, Smithville Police attempted to pull over Michael Dial for driving on a suspended license.

He was driving a 1976 pickup and towing a fully loaded trailer.

Source - .newschannel5.com
The following, from another source, shares his comments:

“They said ‘we’re ramming him,’” Sheriff Oddie Shoupe of White County said on tape in the aftermath of the killing of suspect Michael Dial.

“I said, ‘Don’t ram him, shoot him.’ # that #. Ain’t gonna tear up my cars.”

Shoupe arrived on the scene shortly after police had shot Dial at the conclusion of a low-speed chase, clearly upset he had missed the excitement. Sheriff Oddie Shoupe. Sheriff Oddie Shoupe.

“I love this #,” Shoupe said, apparently unaware that his comments were being picked up by another deputy’s body-worn camera. “God, I tell you what, I thrive on it.

“If they don’t think I’ll give the damn order to kill that # they’re full of #,” he added, laughing. “Take him out. I’m here on the damn wrong end of the county,” he said.

“It was not only inappropriate but also unconscionable for Defendant Shoupe to give the order to use deadly force,” the filing states, calling his decision proof of a “malicious and sadistic mindset”. The suit also names the county, the city of Sparta and the two officers who fired their weapons.

“The comments as seen on the video are extremely disturbing. I’m not sure how anybody can thrive on the taking of a life, let alone somebody in law enforcement,” Dial’s attorney David Weissman told the Guardian.

Caution: language - Source Gaurdian - Videos at the sources, will leave that up to the mods if they are appropriate or not.

Dial's wife goes on to explain that her husband was frightened as to why he didn't stop. She believes their full intent was to kill him.

This is exactly why body cams are needed. The scene was of course more than disturbing, especially being that this not a new Sheriff, worrying as well. Evidence of what the sheriff said is now part of a federal lawsuit.

edit on 6-2-2018 by dreamingawake because: source title

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 07:43 PM
link   
our government employees forgot who they work for

and a huge problem is the vast amount of people who are unionized and work for the government and they all work to increase their own power

big problems ahead if we don't get our act together and start giving them a piece of our mind

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 07:50 PM
link   
The people of that county need to vote him out, or else they stand behind this sickening behavior.

+19 more 
posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Don't vote him out, shoot him! # that #. Aint got time for that.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 08:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
Don't vote him out, shoot him! # that #. Aint got time for that.

done

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 08:08 PM
link   
A reply I've seen going around the net about the story is at least the cars not being damaged saves tax payer dollars. My reply is, oh no, more tax payer dollars will go for the death of the man, including lawsuits, probably a proposed retraining of officers, etc.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

What an inbred redneck.
First name is Oddie?
You know them rednecks love their Garfield...so much so they name their kids after a cartoon dog.

For those about to complain about my comment.
Obviously im being sarcastic.
Clearly he was named him after the God Odin.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Totally reminds me of something you would read in a Stephen King story. Hope he goes away for a long time.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 08:15 PM
link   
The sheriff has been in legal trouble before:

Tennessee judge reprimanded for order proposing less jail time for inmates who received vasectomies

A federal lawsuit filed in August accuses Benningfield of acting with White County Sheriff Oddie Shoupe to carry out a "modern day eugenics scheme." Mario Williams, an attorney in the federal lawsuit, said 42 men agreed to the order.

"So Shoupe, wishing to reach his Eugenics goal, chose to offer the one thing that means the most to a human being who is incarcerated behind bars: Freedom," the lawsuit states.

Source

Why is this nut still around?

I implore Tennessee voters to write their Reps.

edit on 6-2-2018 by dreamingawake because: write*

edit on 6-2-2018 by dreamingawake because: in*

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 09:04 PM
link   

. I’m not sure how anybody can thrive on the taking of a life, let alone somebody in law enforcement,” Dial’s attorney David Weissman told the Guardian.

Thats why certain mentalities join up; to get power of life and death, and misuse it.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

That and the private organizations that hire many officers these days choose certain attributes.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 09:16 PM
link   

The video of events:

I can see why they chased him, he won't pull over. I can see their frustration trying to PIT the truck and trailer, escalation on their part. I cannot see the reason they shot him after he was stopped... or the reason they felt the need to repeatedly bash his vehicle with theirs. Not like he was going to evade them, ever.

If they had backed off, followed him without sirens and lights blazing, if they had waited him out a few miles...

instead they forced him to panic and keep running to get their "maniac" off the road, at all costs.
edit on 6-2-2018 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 09:18 PM
link   
No doubt this POS thrives on it, it's why he applied for the job. Many thrive on it..not all but many.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 09:23 PM
link   

when he started ramming the police cars that made him a danger to everyone on the road,at that point they had to do something to stop him.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: bluechevytree

There was a plan, that didn't involve shooting but as shared the sheriff wasn't having it.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 11:16 PM
link   
This is just up the road about 20 minutes - and it’s not surprising. Even the local bigger towns, and everything in between, is rife with corruption.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 11:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: chelsdh
This is just up the road about 20 minutes - and it’s not surprising. Even the local bigger towns, and everything in between, is rife with corruption.

Yeah thats part of my route to and from work for one of my jobs. Crazy I never heard about this. Them good ol white co. boys don't have anything better to do. Pricks.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 11:37 PM
link   

And they wonder why we don't trust them?

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 11:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: bluechevytree

when he started ramming the police cars that made him a danger to everyone on the road,at that point they had to do something to stop him.

No he just wasn't stopping, the ramming was being done by the police, you may need To get your eyesight checked.

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 12:31 AM
link   
That about does it for that protocol....and that duffe....outta there and down the tube they go. My official reccomendation

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join