It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Viral Outbreak at Olympics causes 1200 security personnel to be replaced with military

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Viral Norovirus outbreak affects 1200 security at Olympics venue. It's reported the sick are being sequestered and military will be taking over security. Seems strange, could be a reason to get the military in there because of security threat or this was induced somehow? It just seems like a huge amount of people to get sick so fast... thoughts?
www.google.ca...

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Definitely seems odd.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 06:28 PM
link   
That settles it. Turn North Korea into a glass parking lot!

We're the Neocon's when we need them??

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Gee, the majority of northern Europeans have the FUT2 gene that makes getting the norovirus not a problem. But this was in Taiwan or someplace like that.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 06:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
That settles it. Turn North Korea into a glass parking lot!

We're the Neocon's when we need them??

Oh stop it.

It's Trump's fault.

IMPEACH 45!

Seriously? Seems odd. Seems deliberate.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 06:39 PM
link   
OK only 35 people are confirmed to have it. They are testing everyone and the first CBC article says 1200 are being taken off security duty. Seems like overkill? Time article just says the sick are quarantined. Watching American news...its like nothing that is going on is even being reported. I switched to Canadian and they are actually reporting all the things...you would think there is nothing going on anywhere outside of this memo. Also there is a lack of threads here about any other topics. You think they MIGHT be trying to distract?
www.google.ca...

edit on 6 by tiredoflooking because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Well ain't that convenient!

There are no coincidences.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I'm generally inclined to think there's pretty straightforward explanations for most things and certainly don't see a conspiracy around every corner but this.... this looks off to me... all security pulled at the last minute and military in? For 35 cases of sickness? In Korea.... there might be something in the pipeline and it ain't Shaun White...
edit on 6-2-2018 by Indrasweb because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 06:47 PM
link   
The security personnel were housed in a Youth Center. The virus can persist on surface for a long time. It is found in confined spaces like tour ships because it spreads very quickly. Like in winter time when everybody is indoors. Or in this case, all housed in one area.

For two months from late 2016 to early 2017, eight consecutive voyages on Princess Cruises’ Sun Princess, sailing from Australia, were blighted by a string of norovirus outbreaks that rendered some passengers “violently ill.”

“On my deck, every third cabin had a ‘do not disturb sign’ on it and there was constant cleaning of the ship,” recounted passenger William Noney, who got sick on the Sun Princess during a 14-night New Year’s cruise to Bali...

MiamiHerald.com, Feb. 6, 2018 - On eight cruises in a row, passengers got ‘violently ill.’ A lawsuit may be coming.

DPRK does have drones, and biological weapons, so it is not out of the realm of possibility. But not washing your hands is probably what happened.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Indrasweb

Yes agreed. Its overkill to pull 1200 security personnel with so few sick! They are testing everything and cannot find the source. A few athletes are affected they say. This does stand to be a huge nightmare with cold conditions and so many people closed indoors together. Still it seems like overkill...

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: tiredoflooking

It certainly does.

You make a good point though about everyone being indoors and in close proximity, thus increasing risk of transmission. It's one explanation for the seemingly OTT response.

I know the obvious go to here (if we're assuming there's something nefarious going on and it's not just them being hyper cautious) is potential staged event but, could it also be they have intel of an imminent threat and they want to add military to the security but don't want to alarm/disrupt the games?

This might be nothing but it doesn't sit right with me..

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Yes with only 35 sick it could easily just be a normal viral spread. Bringing in the military...a bit much but I guess we wait and see what happens. I hope those sick don't get "really" sick and just recover and they get it under control. Im keeping my eye on it for sure though!

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 06:54 PM
link   
After reading this article and looking at the comments the following can be stated:

The Norovirus, also known as the winter vomiting bug, is a common cause of gastroenteritis. Usually takes 12 to 48 hours after initial exposure, and then recovery takes 1 to 3 days. This virus is a food borne illness, usually from bad hygiene, usually found through food and water, however once a person has it, they could spread it through contact, and is known to travel via air. Main risk factors include unsanitary food preparation. The best way to prevent is proper hand washing and disinfection of contaminated surfaces.

Usually they see the increased outbreaks in the winter, and often happens in areas where those are living in close quarters. In the US it is the cause of about half of the food-borne disease outbreaks.

So what this is telling us, is that someone in the kitchen had bad hygiene and cleanliness issues and that is what got these people sick. Or it was where some caught it and then passed it onto the rest of the security force, or a combination of both.

There is nothing to indicate something nefarious is going on, no plot to derail or attack the Olympics. Just bad food service.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 06:56 PM
link   

That was my initial feeling too. That maybe this was an excuse to bring in the military without causing a panic. Especially with the first info only stating 1200 security guards were being replaced with military. Hopefully all goes well and nothing comes of it...

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

There are no coincidences.

Or there are too many.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: tiredoflooking

It does smack somewhat of a hastily cobbled together plan/excuse for ramping up the security. It's the kind of # half-plan that you can imagine someone coming up with at short notice: a story that does the job, that looks sort of reasonable at first glance but then makes less and less sense the more you think about it.

Fingers crossed that I'm just waffling and it turns out to be a dodgy batch of kimchi.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I think this may be carrying the conspiracy angle a bit far.

Anytime you have this many people from all over the world, there is bound to be an illness start making the rounds.

But then................

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Seriously? You guys will find conspiracy in anything these days.

Boring times.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

It's more that they pulled 1200 security and replaced them with military, over just 35 cases of sickness. Not that people are sick. Seems a bit of a disproportionate response.

I guess the suspicion is that a wee sickness outbreak is being used as a flimsy excuse to ship 1200 soldiers into the games.

Its a reasonable suspicion I think... or not entirely insane anyway...

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Yes let's hope so. Im definitely going to be watching to see how the cases of actual sickness go in relation to "sequestered security" personnel. So far this seems to be one venue 80 miles south of the North Korean border. Could be they had Intel security was compromised...just at one venue? I feel for athletes competing this year. I sure wouldn't want to be there!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join