It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Falcon Heavy Test Flight Live Stream - Feb 6th 2018

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 12:41 PM
link   
As of posting time the test launch is about an hour and a half away.

When Falcon Heavy lifts off, it will be the most powerful operational rocket in the world by a factor of two. With the ability to lift into orbit nearly 64 metric tons (141,000 lb)---a mass greater than a 737 jetliner loaded with passengers, crew, luggage and fuel--Falcon Heavy can lift more than twice the payload of the next closest operational vehicle, the Delta IV Heavy, at one-third the cost. Falcon Heavy draws upon the proven heritage and reliability of Falcon 9. Its first stage is composed of three Falcon 9 nine-engine cores whose 27 Merlin engines together generate more than 5 million pounds of thrust at liftoff, equal to approximately eighteen 747 aircraft. Only the Saturn V moon rocket, last flown in 1973, delivered more payload to orbit. Falcon Heavy was designed from the outset to carry humans into space and restores the possibility of flying missions with crew to the Moon or Mars.

edit on 6-2-2018 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Rocket yeah!

I thought this launch was at 1:10, I signed on at 1:20 to see it's 3:30... either it was delayed or I read it wrong.

Hopefully it doesn't get scrubbed.

IIRC this is the biggest payload capable rocket since the SATURN V - it's been nearly half a century since humans have launched something this big- and it's got the upgrades to prove it.

Two first stage "boosters" (pre-used falcon 9's) should break away and land nearly simultaneously- supposedly at the same base. A third will go on to launch the third stage into space before coming home to land on a barge.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Back up to 114 minutes. Working out some kinks.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
Rocket yeah!

I thought this launch was at 1:10, I signed on at 1:20 to see it's 3:30... either it was delayed or I read it wrong.

Hopefully it doesn't get scrubbed.

IIRC this is the biggest payload capable rocket since the SATURN V - it's been nearly half a century since humans have launched something this big- and it's got the upgrades to prove it.

Two first stage "boosters" (pre-used falcon 9's) should break away and land nearly simultaneously- supposedly at the same base. A third will go on to launch the third stage into space before coming home to land on a barge.

High wind shear not scrubbed..........yet.

edit on 6-2-2018 by GuidedKill because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Quite the anticipation.. So far there are 398,440 waiting to view the launch online.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 01:00 PM
link   

There's upper atmospheric winds that are 20% above max allowable load. I'm glad they are being patient and putting off until the winds diminish...

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Elon Musk‏Verified account @elonmusk Following Following @elonmusk More
Launch auto-sequence initiated (aka the holy mouse-click) for 3:45 liftoff

Elon Musk is so excited about this, obviously. He's like a little kid with the best toy in the world. To have that much money to just launch a car to Mars...wow.! Who could have imagined we would ever see a red convertible orbiting Mars?

crossing my fingers for a great, successful launch..

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: EchoesInTime

I assume the launch is occurring on the US west coast somewhere?

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Flight profile..

Elon Musk Twitter

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
a reply to: EchoesInTime

I assume the launch is occurring on the US west coast somewhere?

Kennedy Space Center in Florida. I think this is Pad 39A which is near Titusville FL.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Launching from Kennedy Space Center in Florida.

Falcon Heavy Animation video,,showing the launch sequence and playing David Bowie.

Some are speculating that Bowie's ashes are onboard. I think if the car is going to carry someone's ashes..it should be the great Nikola Tesla.
edit on 6-2-2018 by EchoesInTime because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 01:30 PM
link   
T-75 minutes

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I consult with one of SpaceX biggest rivals, but I hope SpaceX has a nominal flight today.. Its good for the industry to have all these companies continue to succeed and push one another forward. I love healthy competition. The Falcon Heavy and BE-4 (Blue Origin Orbital vehicle - New Glenn) are both going to be game-changers for the space industry! Good luck today, SpaceX!
edit on 6-2-2018 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Cool. Thanks for the link!

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: jhn7537
I consult with one of SpaceX biggest rivals, but I hope SpaceX has a nominal flight today.. Its good for the industry to have all these companies continue to succeed and push one another forward. I love healthy competition. The Falcon Heavy and BE-4 (Blue Origin Orbital vehicle - New Glenn) are both going to be game-changers for the space industry! Good luck today, SpaceX!

Glad to see that kind of attitude. Is that common even with people who have a more central role in the rival companies?

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

Glad to see that kind of attitude. Is that common even with people who have a more central role in the rival companies?

Well, if we begin having explosions and mission failures everywhere, it will just add regulation and unnecessary costs to the industry.. its in the best interest of everyone for all to do well... I know many people over at Blue Origin/Orbital/Etc. that are cheering on SpaceX today..

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Well, if we begin having explosions and mission failures everywhere, it will just add regulation and unnecessary costs to the industry.. its in the best interest of everyone for all to do well... I know many people over at Blue Origin/Orbital/Etc. that are cheering on SpaceX today..

That's great to hear. I'm actually thinking about going to school for something in the aerospace industry. Haven't quite decided what yet but I've got my GI Bill and I always said if I was going to go to college I'd go for something I'm passionate about. I love all things space, astronomy, space exploration etc.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Well if you guys launch something and need a volunteer I call shotgun.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Feed is live now.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 02:16 PM
link   

What do you see? I can't watch!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join