It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Alien Life Would Be Our Doom - The Great Filter

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 10:33 AM
link   
This video is very interesting, some disagree with it ideologically, regardless I feel it makes some very good points.
The Great Filter is tied to the Fermi Paradox.

And the inevitable question is that we may be alone because all life in our galaxy ran into these filters and never made it as far as we have.
Or they ran into a filter just in front of us and wiped themselves out, maybe it's harder to leave even just your home basic star system than we thought. And even harder to leave your home galaxy.
Maybe just developing the technology has inherent dangers that can really damage the home planet and species developing it.

It is a sobering thought that we could be all alone in our galaxy. Even in Star Wars everything happens in only one galaxy, and it's far far away from ours.

In theory you could have a Star Trek universe type galaxy and 100 galaxies across the universe you could have a Star Wars type galaxy and the 2 will never know the other exists, even though both have very advanced technologies.
edit on 6-2-2018 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I am in the camp of many scientists who think life is all over out there, and as I have mentioned before it has been suggested our military/government is aware of at least 6 civilizations, if not more in our own Milky Way Galaxy. With a now estimated 2 TRILLION galaxies in the known universe the odds are pretty good there is life all over the universe, and some of it has been visiting us for some time and will continue to do so.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 10:57 AM
link   
What if we ARE the advanced civilization in the universe? What if other life is out there waiting on us to come visit them?
edit on 6-2-2018 by HummaKavula because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: HummaKavula
What if we ARE the advanced civilization in the universe? What if other life is out there waiting on us to come visit them?

The odds of that is about 10^-24

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 11:07 AM
link   

I feel sorry for them if we are more advanced and visit them.

Just like I sure hope that if they are more advanced and visit us, they aren't like us.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: HummaKavula

Yes, that could be true, we could be the only biological beings in the universe. However spirit beings could exist in a different dimension. They don't have a home planet our a home galaxy as they are not bound to the physical universe, and they don't need ships to travel.

Perhaps angels & demons would best describe these types of beings.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: bluesjr

The odds of me even existing are much higher than that, and yet... here I am.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 11:23 AM
link   

"There's nothing out there other than us."

But I don't think we are the most advanced civilization.

I mean, come on... Does this seems like an evolved place for you?

Lol

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Blue_Jay33

Maybe we have to get outside the solar system for the interference to clear. Maybe all the radio traffic we can't here down here in our gravity well is out there, just beyond the suns influence. Voyager is there, whats it picking up?

Would they tell us?

"Move the ship out of the asteroid field so we can send a clear transmission". --Darth Pacemaker, from Empire Strikes Back

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 11:27 AM
link   

The Plutonians got one such visit from us. It was only a fly by but imagine if you were there looking up at the right time / place and saw New Horizons streak by. What would you think?

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Blue_Jay33

Imo, Alien life put life here, but the State, Church and Hollywood always paint the aleens as evil and destructive, to protect their Paradigm.

Ever see StarMan with Jeff Bridges? Good film, but a flop because the alien was friendly and the gubment war the evil ones.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 11:45 AM
link   
They are here already.

You want to be visitedbythem?

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

The odds of me even existing are much higher than that, and yet... here I am.

Me too, and I am a paradox.

OP neat vid. we really are not supposed to be. ugh, i am slipping into a temporal rift, again..

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 11:48 AM
link   
"There's nothing out there other than us."

But I don't think we are the most advanced civilization.

I mean, come on... Does this seems like an evolved place for you?

Lol

That was sort of my point, that some of us seem to be getting less advanced all the time. Kind of makes me wonder if the movie Idiocracy is a documentary instead of just entertainment. I hope there are other "advanced" civilizations out there and can't really imagine how there's not. I don't have any scientific data that proves without a doubt that there is. Just trying to imagine the vastness of our universe hurts my brain sometimes.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

One of my favorites - Starman-
cuz exactly as you say- he was not bent on invasion.

Tough to find such, not sure why folks prefer the evil invaders-

Cheers,
Nexo

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

The Plutonians got one such visit from us. It was only a fly by but imagine if you were there looking up at the right time / place and saw New Horizons streak by. What would you think?

I would think that was pretty cool! I have always believed that we are not alone in this universe. Again, I can't link any proof, just a feeling. I have looked for and hoped for a sighting of some sort since I was a little kid. I have not been visited, nor have I ever seen anything I could consider a UFO. Wish it would happen some day though.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blue_Jay33

Yes, that could be true, we could be the only biological beings in the universe. However spirit beings could exist in a different dimension. They don't have a home planet our a home galaxy as they are not bound to the physical universe, and they don't need ships to travel.

Perhaps angels & demons would best describe these types of beings.

Perhaps

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Odds are strong there is life out there, maybe many different planets that could support life, throughout the universe. BUt what is that life? Is it intelligent life? Is it limited to plants, or plants and animal type creatures?

Personally, I have no doubt there is other life out there. Is that life able to communicate with or travel to Earth? I don't think so, any more than we are able to do that. I know that comes off arrogant, and I don't mean it that way. I simply have not seen any evidence that would suggest otherwise.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 12:14 PM
link   

We're not ready to visit. We would end up bringing plauge and war. We'll be ready, when we can all get along. IMO

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 12:28 PM
link   

The fact that we exist and technologically advancing means there will be much more advanced civs out there!!

new topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join