It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

does anyone work in banking? strange balance during daily processing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 03:02 AM
link   
i am obsessive and weird so i check my bank balance a lot. often times(like right now) when it is early in the morning my available balance will often be a few hundred dollars less than what i actually have. when i see this my online page always says they are doing daily processing and all information may not be available.
i can not figure out why it does this.
i have no checks or online payments floating out there that have not cleared as of yesterday.

so yesterday before i go to bed it shows x amount and everything cleared.
this morning it still shows everything cleared but the available is less.

at about 7am it will be back to normal and what is actually available

does anyone know what the reason for this is?

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 03:52 AM
link   
see man its weird. i just checked again and it shows $400 and some change more than it did when i started the thread. everything had already cleared.
it happens quite often and it always rights itself but i cant figure out what the deal is

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 05:43 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

I'd guess that automated actuarial processes are running one at a time to verify the funds are legit, to calculate interests and to calculate debts and fees. International transfers add another layer of complexity due to dynamic conversion rate changes and costs.

Who knows what sort of internal veracity checks banks have, but I would imagine that when, say, money is moved from one place to another, they want to be sure that it is debited from one account and credited to the other at the same time, in a single transaction. A credit without a debit or vice versa would be a major problem and money in an indeterminate state would have to be held as 'unavailable' until verified.

Even with crypto-currencies, linked online and etc. where the transfers should happen at wire speed, there are delays associated with the time it takes to verify transactions and both debit and credit the transferred currency, also ensuring that it wasn't 'duplicated' and transferred to two or more different places.

edit on 6/2/2018 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 06:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
see man its weird. i just checked again and it shows $400 and some change more than it did when i started the thread. everything had already cleared.
it happens quite often and it always rights itself but i cant figure out what the deal is

I would guess that your bank is using an International sweep account using your money to invest it over night each day and make a few bucks. My company has had a sweep account for years. We usually make enough to pay all of the banking fees.

www.catalystcorp.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Provide the login details and I´ll take a look. DO NOT post it here, send it via U2U. You can´t trust the internet (but me).

Back to topic: Call your bank contactee, he will give you the answer.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Local, regional or national bank? Name is not important.

I second Nick's opinion on this.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 07:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut
A credit without a debit or vice versa would be a major problem and money in an indeterminate state would have to be held as 'unavailable' until verified.

That´s one reason, the other one is the "real money transfer". It´s basically why it takes a minute to transfer money to an account that is at the same bank and up to three days (in the past) to an external bank account.

Not really because the money has to go there physically but it´s collected in a pool and then the accumulating differences get balanced quarter daily AFAIK.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 09:48 AM
link   

i am obsessive and weird so i check my bank balance a lot. often times(like right now) when it is early in the morning my available balance will often be a few hundred dollars less than what i actually have. when i see this my online page always says they are doing daily processing and all information may not be available.
i have no checks or online payments floating out there that have not cleared as of yesterday.

Debits are applied before credits during the reconciliation process.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3

I would guess that your bank is using an International sweep account using your money to invest it over night each day and make a few bucks. My company has had a sweep account for years. We usually make enough to pay all of the banking fees.

www.catalystcorp.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

That is an excellent point.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Yeah. AVERAGE DAILY BALANCE... flucuates minutely second to second day in day out non stop... by small interest percentages.. their end.

Like coming back in 2 months and seeing it changed up a few bucks from interest.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I guess I'm just too stugats to get it.
Cleveland based bank and I'm in a burb. I think they are just in this area.
I would understand a small difference but today it was several hundred less.
So as of yesterday all # on my account, debit and credit had been cleared cause I checked about 7pm.
Check at 4 am and my balance is about 4 bills less than what it was at 7pm the night before.
An hour later it's back to normal.
I will read about sweeps after work. No time now.
Thanks all

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Now it dawned on me what you could mean... Is it really the available balance or like mysterioustranger pointed out, maybe the average daily balance?

If average, then this is either calculated from a fixed date (6th of the Month for example) or floating, like the last 0-30 days or even more. I set mine to 45 days for example.

You can use this number to determine if you spent more on the average or less in the near past. In your case, you are currently spending a little bit more than x days before (depending on your setting).

If it really fluctuates that fast, maybe it´s set to 1 day? If you can´t see this setting online, you can contact your bank via phone and they will adjust it for you.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 03:29 PM
link   
edit
edit on 6-2-2018 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

edit

edit

top topics

join