It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Super Bowl ratings are down, but 103 million people watched

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 07:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift
Did the study take into account that there were two East Coast teams playing and therefore nobody west of Cleveland gave two poops? (Except gamblers, of course.)

This probably was part of the reason. I watched the game, but I didn't care who won. I ended up rooting for the Patriots because I like Tom Brady.

Still, it is beyond debate that the anthem controversy hurt the NFL, badly. And I'm sure that spilled over into the superbowl.

Edit: Also, the commercials this year sucked. Previous years had much, much better/funnier ads.
edit on 6-2-2018 by AndyFromMichigan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

I didn’t watch one game this year because of the kneeling.

I was invited to a super bowl party, still didn’t watch, but had fun drinking on the deck with my friend, she boycotted too

edit on 6-2-2018 by KTemplar because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I'm willing to bet some of it is people are just tired of watching the Pats play in the SB year after year..

Its a shame because it was one of the more,exciting super bowl games..

Unless the original numbers include streaming they are also a bit misleading.

I think the kneeling thing, unless you are a hardcore MAGA type, had nominal impact on viewership.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 07:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: KTemplar

I didn’t watch one game this year because of the kneeling.

I was invited to a super bowl party, still didn’t watch, but had fun drinking on the deck with my friend, she boycotted too

uhmm...too much kneeling or not enough?....

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 07:56 AM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

Anyone who kneels during our country’s National Anthem is a disgrace to our Country in my book.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Although that is an incredibly high number, insanely high

Compared to The English F.A. Cup Final ( Football ) of 500 million viewers, it;s not that high.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I had the tv on during the game.

I was very surprised and happy to have 4 hours where it was just football and not anything about Trump, protests, or kneeling.

It was the only game I watched this past season.

To be fair though, I paid more attention to the ham & cheese sliders and chili cheese dip than anything else.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 08:11 AM
link   
I watched the game because I was awake in the middle of the night, I must be old school I found the game boring and as usual Collingsworth made a boring game borderline unwatchable.

As far as Nascar ratings being down, by 06 the last of the good old boy racers had come on board with team racing and you lost a lot of the fun fighting between crews. Add in the punishment they added in to try and get rid of rubbing is racing and it just got boring, its why they dumped that rule to try and bring people back. Problem is they no longer have a Dale Sr. or a Hot headed Tony Stewart banging and crashing into each other.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 08:15 AM
link   

I didn't watch because of the refusal to print the vets ad. You don't support our vets, I don't support you.

First I ever remember missing.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I know a lot of people who refused to watch any NFL because of the kneeling.

I also know a few people who didn't watch the superbowl because they didn't care for either team.

I'm going with a combination of the two.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Well, if television viewership in general is down ten percent, then this is all in line with that decrease. Still, it will be the most watched sporting event of the year, and most likely the most watched thing on television in general for the year.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I only listened to it on the radio.
I have come to enjoy football and baseball better if on the radio vs tv.
One is not consumed as much that way.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

i completely forgot about it, until it was over. Oops. Turns out, I didn't really miss it...

Two east coast teams that aren't all that popular outside of their geographical/demographic areas didn't help.

But down seven percent isn't all that big a drop when you're talking this much money...

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
a reply to: Wardaddy454

A lot of people stream the games on third party sites "illegally". It's 100% free and a lot of the times works better than the official stream. That's what I meant.

Hardly. Live streaming illegally is typically crap quality. But you watch it because you don't want to or cant pay for it. That's the give and take of it.

You'd be hard pressed catching a quality college football stream, for example, airing live without jumping through a bunch of hoops and "free signup"

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 02:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Wardaddy454

that is actually the one good thing I have found about reddit, as long as you have a good antivirus/malware protection/popup blocker you can find good quality streams of sporting events on reddit.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join